HAP GOING PLACES LP

Which pressing might that be? If you could read and post all of the numbers, letters, and symbols that are etched into the clear runout area near the label, we could identify the pressing.

Which pressing might that be? If you could read and post all of the numbers, letters, and symbols that are etched into the clear runout area near the label, we could identify the pressing.
HRB032A S97051 on side one HRB032B S97052 on side two.

Okay, I missed that you posted the HAP. That's a modern pressing. I'm pretty sure most other versions are the correct way around.

Okay, I missed that you posted the HAP. That's a modern pressing. I'm pretty sure most other versions are the correct way around.
I know that Harry. All of my a & m pressings and CD copies of going places are correct as well as all the CD version that I have. I was trying to find out if I have a defective copy of the HAP pressing or others have the same problem.

Last edited:
Sorry, I misunderstood your original post. I thought you uncovered some rare old artifact. I don't own any of the modern HAP vinyl.

Odd that it would be reversed, but maybe they're all like that. Let's hear from others that bought it.

Sorry, I misunderstood your original post. I thought you uncovered some rare old artifact. I don't own any of the modern HAP vinyl.

Odd that it would be reversed, but maybe they're all like that. Let's hear from others that bought it.
No problem. I just assumed that since you had done an in-depth review on the h a p series a while back that you had bought both the CD and vinyl copies. So for anyone who's not as familiar with going places as I am one easy way to know if the left and right Channel are in proper sequence for that LP is that on Tijuana Taxi the drums and percussion should be coming out of the Left Channel and the marimba should be coming out of the right Channel.

Yeah, that was standard channel alignment for virtually all classic TJB records. Drums and bass left, Herb centered, guitars, marimbas right.

I noticed that from day one with my new stereo, that most of the Tijuana Brass albums, particularly the ”Classic“ ones, all had very similar stereo alignments. Later I also noted that most of the same era Brasil ‘66 and Baja Marimba Band tracks were balanced the same way. There was a time that my favorite radio station was broadcasting the stereo backwards and I called them to let them know. They wondered how I knew, and I used the Tijuana Brass as my example. They were somewhat surprised that ”anyone“ noticed - but yes, they were in fact hooked up backwards and fixed things.

I haven't compared the "old" records to the more recent versions in many many years (and in fact I don't currently have a working turntable) but during the various remaster projects, didn't they move the backing instruments a bit more toward the center of the stereo field than the original recordings mix had? Seems to me they were more strictly defined to the left and right channels on the original records, where on the remasters they are brought more into the mid-left and mid-right areas of the stereo range. Or are the mixes basically identical?

All of the new album CDs pretty much mirror all of the old CDs and records as far as stereo placement goes. I haven't purchased any of the new LPs, so I cannot say, but Randy said they were all to mirror what people bought in the old days.

When it came to LOST TREASURES, all sorts of modern stereo placements were adopted, so those tracks don't have the drums-left, guitar-right stage that the old TJB records did. They followed the more modern approach where everything is sort of middle-ish with maybe a tick, tick, on the left or right. The old stereo records were much more definitive with stereo placement of instruments across the soundstage.

The thread starter, @thetijuanataxi, apparently has a new HAP GOING PLACES where he claims the stereo is backwards and wants to verify it with someone else.

The old records were recorded to 3-track at Gold Star Studios, so if anyone wanted stereo from these, it pretty much had to be left/center/right placement. One could argue that Gold Star really was still recording for mono, as Larry Levine would mix those three channels down to the mono versions that ended up on singles and on LP. Modern recordings or remixes have access to dozens if not unlimited channels, so placement makes more sense to spread them across two channels.

All of the new album CDs pretty much mirror all of the old CDs and records as far as stereo placement goes. I haven't purchased any of the new LPs, so I cannot say, but Randy said they were all to mirror what people bought in the old days.

When it came to LOST TREASURES, all sorts of modern stereo placements were adopted, so those tracks don't have the drums-left, guitar-right stage that the old TJB records did. They followed the more modern approach where everything is sort of middle-ish with maybe a tick, tick, on the left or right. The old stereo records were much more definitive with stereo placement of instruments across the soundstage.

The thread starter, @thetijuanataxi, apparently has a new HAP GOING PLACES where he claims the stereo is backwards and wants to verify it with someone else.
Well if Randy said the new LPs "mirror" the old recordings then that's exactly what they achieved with GOING PLACES because if you look into a mirror what do you see? Everything in the reverse order of how it actually is. Also, on a different note, what were the engineers thinking when they deleted 10 seconds of silent space between the tracks on the CD version of GP? 74 minute of content space and 30 minutes of music and they felt the need to make the songs sound rushed from one track to the next? I mean you listen to Tijuana Taxi and before your brain registers that it has ended Sentimental begins. I know that might seem trivial to some people but when it's a classic album you're used to being a certain way for 56 years it's tough to get used to. And let's face it, these are probably the last reissues we'll see of these albums so I can't understand why they felt the need to mess with it.

All CDs of !!GOING PLACES!! are oriented correctly. You probably know that. I can't imagine why the LP you speak of is backwards. In fact, I don't believe that in all of the CDs and LPs of Herb Alpert's that I own, that I've ever heard a single track that's got the stereo backwards. It's possible that it's happened somewhere in the world. I haven't collected much Herb from South America, but many Carpenters discs from there have the stereo reversed.

All CDs of !!GOING PLACES!! are oriented correctly. You probably know that. I can't imagine why the LP you speak of is backwards. In fact, I don't believe that in all of the CDs and LPs of Herb Alpert's that I own, that I've ever heard a single track that's got the stereo backwards. It's possible that it's happened somewhere in the world. I haven't collected much Herb from South America, but many Carpenters discs from there have the stereo reversed.
I seem to remember you telling us that the stereo on the Shout Factory issue of SOTB was reversed, no?

I seem to remember you telling us that the stereo on the Shout Factory issue of SOTB was reversed, no?
Ah yes. There are two different "masters" of SOUTH OF THE BORDER, and depending on which one was used, the stereo on a song or two go one way or the other. The early albums from LONELY BULL through SOUTH OF THE BORDER were still somewhat "experimental" if you will as Herb was finding the right sound.

Like WHAT NOW MY LOVE, there seem to be a couple of different ways that a SOUTH OF THE BORDER can sound, particularly on a couple of cuts. On the title track, the Shout issue is indeed backwards from both the A&M and HAP version. The Shout version also has a lot of compression and reverb going on all over it. And you'll find variations in the traveling mandolin at the start of "I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face". On the A&M CD and the HAP, it travels from left to right. On the Shout version it stays in the right channel all the way.

And then there's the "Mexican engineer" on "Numero Cinco". He's present on A&M and HAP, but missing from the Shout.

Back
Top Bottom