Happy Birthday, Karen!

Karen's birthday is a day for celebration !
March 2nd is interesting in a few other respects:
The 45-single release of Beechwood 4-5789 (1982)
and
the Compact Disc was launched by Sony, Phillips and Polygram (1983).

I venture to say the compact disc format opened many an ear to Karen's voice !

Karen's birthday is a day for celebration !
March 2nd is interesting in a few other respects:
The 45-single release of Beechwood 4-5789 (1982)
and
the Compact Disc was launched by Sony, Phillips and Polygram (1983).

I venture to say the compact disc format opened many an ear to Karen's voice !

Oh, why was their lowest charting single (and the one of the worst things they ever recorded) released on her birthday? You wish that one of her final birthday's didn't coincide with that and be a marker for future history.

It's been a rainy Saturday in southern California today...the perfect day to stroll through the mists at the water's edge and wait for the Ocean King to make his annual appearance, reminding us how nice it is to remember the special way Karen would smile when singing to us. No "maybe" about it, Karen, it's always been you--then, now, and forever. Happy birthday to the greatest singer in the history of "pop music"!

thumbnail

Yes, it was a very wet and rainy day for my visit with Karen today. But it was heart warming to see a number of floral arrangements delivered to the family moslieum to mark her 69th birthday! On the day that she was born, the angels got together, and decided to create a dream come true.

Not sure why Rick. It seems I have issues getting pictures posted here.
I'm sorry. The shot is from outside the CARPENTER family moslieum at Pierce Brothers Cemetery in Thousand Oaks. It was raining, but about a dozen floral arrangements were there for Karen's birthday remembrance.

I'm not sure if anyone caught it, but Richard left a story on his Instagram page on Karen's birthday with a very touching message.

Hard to believe also that next year will mark what would have been her 70th birthday. The sands of time pass quickly by indeed.

Amazing how we will always see Karen as a young 30-something for the rest of our lives. The departed never age. I am exactly the age right now that Karen was at the end of her life. For some reason that is very haunting to me. Also seeing that Karen would have been 69 reminds me that I became a fan right before she would have turned 50. Over 20 years ago, longer than the Carpenters' active career was.
"Few are the choices we are given, the sands of time pass quickly by..."

Although it was written in 1914 about the young men dying in the first world war, it always seems apropos about anyone dying at a young age.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Laurence Binyon "For The Fallen"

Back
Top Bottom