Harriet - (Singer with echoes of Karen Carpenter)*

Well she has done it again. On the heels of offering her Xmas music, Harriet has released a single a la James Bond type music. "Love Will Burn" can be purchased on iTunes as of this morning. A very interesting song, in some ways very different from her others. While I do enjoy her performance and love the words and sentiment (after hearing it twice now) I am not sure about where she goes with her voice here, but I will not make a complete judgment yet. Actually I think this song was recorded months ago. If you listen to her EPK 2015 on YouTube many months ago, this song is playing at the end of that video.

And now Harriet has placed a video on YouTube of this song, "Love Will Burn." Fabulous and I told her so. This should satisfy those waiting for Winter Stories.

It's heeeeeeeeeeere!! :goodie: First, I have been panicking for a few days now, after having read the posts by garyjo777 and Murray, stating that each had received Harriet's new CD. Mine arrived today, and I couldn't be more pleased. I received the same package as described, and my handwritten lyrics were of "What's Mine Is Yours." All that was promised was indeed produced and delivered. I am looking forward to savoring these songs...
James your so lucky...you got the handwritten lyrics of "What's Mine Is Yours" that is my favorite song from her.

And now Harriet has placed a video on YouTube of this song, "Love Will Burn." Fabulous and I told her so. This should satisfy those waiting for Winter Stories.

Wow, that was a surprise!!
Just watched the video, pretty cool and I am liking this song. I'm going to buy it tonight when I get home. My favorite James Bond is Sean Connery.

Harriet just shared a really generous 8:45 album preview for her upcoming Christmas album "Winter Stories" on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/harrietsmusic/harriet-maybe-this-christmas-album-preview

There are a few tracks Karen also did for the Carpenters' Christmas albums, but what really surprised me is a new adaptation of "Can't Smile Without You".
Can't wait to hear this album!!!

Yeah - I've just listened to the preview samples too - uncanny how similar to Karen's, her voice can sound. Now, I just have to wait for my CD to arrive.

The "Can't Smile Without You" line caught me off guard, it sounds like she has incorporated that line into the "Last Christmas" song. Is that what I'm hearing?

It's too bad she didn't use Richard's arrangement of "I'll Be Home For Christmas" she is also using different inflections in your voice than the way Karen sang it. However, I can understand why she doesn't want to imitate Karen's style. I can't wait to get this CD.

The "Can't Smile Without You" line caught me off guard, it sounds like she has incorporated that line into the "Last Christmas" song. Is that what I'm hearing?

That's what I thought as well. An interesting combination.
I am glad she is not imitating Karen's style or using Richard's arrangements. Why replicate something we already know and love?

I look forward to hearing the complete version of "All I want for Christmas is you" which she is singing as a slow ballad as opposed to the uptempo original.

Harriet's appearing live on Paul O'Gradys BBC Radio 2 show this Christmas Day (it gets recorded before then).

Okay, I see no one has posted this. Harriet has a new video released on YouTube for "Maybe this Christmas." Very nice with clips of her and her sister as young girls and (I assume) mom and dad in the video. Very sweet sentiment for a beautiful song.

I have not said, but I have a good idea (from following her online) what Harriet's last name is. Just do not feel I am the person to reveal that. Not hard to figure out as it is out there.

It looks like her Christmas CD is available to download on iTunes....that's weird thought we would have got our CD's before those could purchase it. I guess our CD's should be shipping soon?

Yesterday Harriet released the lyric video for "Last Christmas" from her upcoming "Winter Stories" album. It contains the snippet of "Can't smile without you" that we heard in the teaser. An interesting combination. Love her reading of the song, (as usual).

Chris --- 'er Rick:

I received an e-mail this evening from Harriet's site, stating that my order is now complete. So I assume that the CD package is about to be shipped, or as the Brits say, dispatched!

I got mine the other day. Actually its the best release on the site - Love the diary. If its made available as a separate item to buy to may buy it individually for gives (if it isn't too prohibitively expensive). The album is really good. I don't understand why A dream Is A Wish is on both Cover Stories & Winter Stories but i haven't spent much time reading the details in the CD booklet of the christmas album. Which itself is a lovely thing she's included in the sleeve. Altogether a nice addition. I would like her to release more original stuff but this is good in the meantime.

I am thrilled to report that on Saturday I received my package from Harriet's Store. Again, all that was promised was indeed delivered. Harriet and her team are undoubtedly doing an outstanding job of marketing to the fans. The perspective of the fan is clearly at the forefront of their objectives. Now, onto the music itself...

Other than the Carpenters, I rarely listen to Christmas music by other artists. Winter Stories will change all that. I love Harriet's voice; as noted, it is reminiscent of Karen's. The arrangements are also similar to that of the Carpenters. Yet Harriet is an enjoyable commodity on her own. She brings a fresh take on newer Christmas music, such as "All I Want for Christmas Is You," "Last Christmas," and "Grown Up Christmas List" (previously unfamiliar to me) as well as standards, including "Silent Night." And this is breaking news: Harriet gets me to enjoy even a song that I have always considered the most depressing Christmas song ever, "Christmas Time Is Here" (from "A Charlie Brown Christmas").

Finally, I also thoroughly enjoy original Harriet composition, "Maybe This Christmas." There is much to enjoy, and I look forward to more from Harriet!

My package was delivered this morning. It's so nicely wrapped in Christmas paper, that I'm debating whether I should open it before Christmas! :laugh: Silly me, of course I'm going to open it... I can't wait until December 25th to listen to Harriet's wonderful voice! :love: I did open the card right away though - nice picture of Harriet on the cover, and handwritten note inside... I wonder what the relatives will think if they see it sitting on the table when they visit?... they might think that I found myself a hot young girlfriend! :D

Particularly when you show your relatives your name on the Dedication page... :)

Good one James!!!

Someone uploaded a video of Harriet's recent live gig, a brand new song, "Broken For You", wow I just watched it twice, I really like this one, hope she records a studio version. This really gives us the chance to hear what she would sound like if you went to a live concert and I swear I hear Karen's lower register coming though on this song, parts of it sound so much like Karen's lower notes.

Click on the HD button. :)

Also got my copy today. Don't you just love the time and effort put into personalising these things for us?
I know what I'll be listening to this evening...

And this is breaking news: Harriet gets me to enjoy even a song that I have always considered the most depressing Christmas song ever, "Christmas Time Is Here" (from "A Charlie Brown Christmas").

Imagine my surprise when earlier today I visited the main page of this website and saw "Christmas Time Is Here" (from "A Charlie Brown Christmas") as the featured "Holiday Track" with glowing reviews as "memorable" and "favorite of many" by our esteemed Rudy. I guess different people have differing tastes...

There are certainly quite a few Christmas songs that are considered depressing because of their lyrics. For me, "Christmas Time Is Here" is depressing, not because of its lyrics, but for the following reasons: (1) its melody, (2) the children's choir with countless high notes, and (3) just the overall sad, pathetic mood evoked by "A Charlie Brown Christmas" in general. Even as a kid, I found the whole thing depressing. I'm sure someone will note that the underlying message is one of hope, in part evidenced symbolically by turning a rather bare, puny tree into a decorated marvel. But, to me, the plot and mood are tediously depressing. I can't be the only one who feels this way, can I?!?!

As I mentioned in my earlier glowing review (in this thread) of Harriet's Christmas CD Winter Stories, Harriet's performance and the arrangement in her version compel me to actually enjoy this song. By the way --- and getting back to the main thesis of this topic, the "echoes of Karen Carpenter" are bountiful and undeniable in Harriet's songs. I am thoroughly enjoying Harriet's music, all of it!

So I know most of us have received Harriet's Christmas CD but I'd like to hear from you, what is your favorite song off the album and why?

I've been playing it a lot this past week and have been enjoying it more and more. I was really impressed with her acapella version of Silent Night and the layering of vocals. It's a very haunting version and so simplistic which really work well on her version. I also like Last Christmas, so many people have covered this but I really like how Harriet added in a Carpenter track Can't Smile Without You, that was a real surprise and I was not expecting it but the lyrics flowed perfectly into place, when I first heard it I smiled.

However the track that really moved me the most has to be the bonus track, "The Very Best Time Of Year" when Harriet goes down into her lower register in several spots on this track, yup there is Karen again it gives me goosebumps...I love the lyrics and the arrangement of this track.

A really nice first Christmas album and I wasn't expecting this so it was sorta a surprise to me. I only wish it had been all new material as several of the cuts were already previously released so I kinda identified with those tracks earlier in the year and last Christmas. I also wish her producer had made the album flow a bit more, sorta like Christmas Portrait. Since some of the tracks were previously heard for me it didn't make the album flow as well as I would have liked. However, that is minor and we are lucky to be treated with a Christmas album from her this year.

This is nothing professional but I wondered what it would sound like to hear Harriet's version of "Can't Smile Without You" (which she only recorded a small part) next to the Carpenters version. I used Audacity to remove all the backing track and just keep the vocal intact which is not perfect, then I tried to space it so that they were both singing at the same time on this line, Harriet uses different words than Karen sings so it's not exactly the same wording but if you listen some of it lines up right.

It's best to listen with headphones as I put Karen on the left channel and Harriet on the right channel. When you listen take one headphone off your ear and vice versa to hear each one then listen together, kinda cool. Of course the arrangements are different so it doesn't blend correctly and the difference of words doesn't help but it's cool to hear it once lol

I won't keep this up forever but thought you might like to just hear it.

http://vid34.photobucket.com/albums...riet Cant Smile Without You Isolated Clip.mp4

Back
Top Bottom