Harriet - (Singer with echoes of Karen Carpenter)*

VERY Exciting Stuff, obviously won't get to London so I'm depending on our UK A&M friends to report back on this upcoming event. I wonder if she will be playing new stuff from her soon to be released EP album due in Feb 2015?

Yes I saw that another great interview. She is recording new stuff as we speak, can't wait for her new EP next month.

We should probably keep all posts of Harriet on the main thread.
Harry, can you modify the original main thread to remove "maybe this Christmas" and just leave it Harriet echoes of Karen this way it won't look like just a Christmas thread for Harriet but the main thread we can use. Does this make sense?

Be still my heart. That's beautiful. Thanks for letting us know.

Do you think it will be an adult contemporary album, or do you think she will put some something pop radio friendly out too?

I know they're writing some upbeat songs but whether they will be included in the EP its probably more likely in the upcoming Album.
I think they are well aware of needing a mix of slow/upbeat tunes to make it interesting.

I know they're writing some upbeat songs but whether they will be included in the EP its probably more likely in the upcoming Album.
I think they are well aware of needing a mix of slow/upbeat tunes to make it interesting.
That sounds great. Looking forward to her album! Do you have some inside info or just doing your internet research?

That sounds great. Looking forward to her album! Do you have some inside info or just doing your internet research?

No just reading reading and listening to what they're saying in interviews and publications.

Harriet's posted a free download for us on Sound-cloud of a new song to warm us up for the new EP

Its called " In this Love with You"

Here it is

https://soundcloud.com/harrietsmusic/harriet-in-this-love-with-you-studio-demo

Thanks, just downloaded it. I like it another nice ballad, I hear some more slight vocal fry reminding more of Karen's style. This song is the first time I can actually hear her british accent coming through but it's only on one word, "chances" at 51 seconds into the song. I can't wait for the new EP to come...wish I was on Facebook just to post that I love her voice, hopefully she sees this thread.

Thanks, just downloaded it. I like it another nice ballad, I hear some more slight vocal fry reminding more of Karen's style. This song is the first time I can actually hear her british accent coming through but it's only on one word, "chances" at 51 seconds into the song. I can't wait for the new EP to come...wish I was on Facebook just to post that I love her voice, hopefully she sees this thread.

She says on Facebook that this song was recorded in the "what's mine is yours EP" sessions.

It's her lower register that brings Karen to my mind. I was listening to one of her EP tracks one day and my husband walked in the room and said "Karen Carpenter?" But she has her own style to my ears.

Perhaps for her, like with Karen, 'the money will be in the basement'.

Looking forward to hearing her ability with pop and jazz as well.

Her producer has done a new show with Larry Flick on Sirius XM which includes a playing of a new song from her new album.

Posted by Harriet on Facebook

I am fairly new to this web site as a member, though I have been here a number of times before as a guest, I suppose. I am going to explain why I am writing shortly concerning Harriet, but let me mention a few things first. I consider myself a “good age” now, in my late fifties. I was probably a Carpenters fan from as close to day 1 as possible for most, after “Offering” but certainly by the 2nd album. I had a few favorites during that time, mostly pop singer/songwriters but the Carpenters were always number 1 in my book, and what a marvelous time to hear those songs and Karen’s voice in my teens and 20s! I will always treasure seeing them live in concert in 1973. I lived for their next song or album and did so until KC’s passing (which nearly killed me inside, by the way, at the time). So I have lived like probably you and so many others, off the music that was produced loving it and knowing that was it, there was no more except the few recordings that were released after her death. And I am sure like most of you I thought (and to some degree still do) that there will never be another voice like Karen’s, that beautiful, lovely sound that she was blessed with.
On December 26th of this year, I had the day off from work and came across on the internet an article about one of my current favorite singer/songwriters (I do not have many) and his Christmas single had made the top 10 of some list in England. I was curious and read the article. I was more curious about what was listed at number one, by some lady named Harriet, so I clicked on to the link to hear the song. I was floored. I found a few more of her songs on Sound Cloud and was, well floored does not describe what I felt – so many emotions. The first few lines of the song “If (when you go)” I thought sure was Karen. I did not know what to feel. Later I became happy when I read about this young lady, and her past, her musical likes and her plans with producer Steve Anderson. I read all that I believe you guys have done and loved her music even more, buying her currently two EPs. Like some of you, I am awaiting the next EP promised and a first album later this year. And yes, I believe my favorite, “What’s Mine Is Yours” is, in part, an acknowledgement of her sounding like Karen. Now to get to what I might have done differently than others that have discovered this lady. I saw that she had a management team email on her Facebook page and so I wrote to a lady named Alison Main by email and included a long letter to Harriet. Some of what I wrote to Harriet is noted above in what I have written all of you. I wished her the best and hoped to hear more of her music. I got a reply days later from Ms. Alison saying she forwarded my letter to Harriet and was told to let me know she appreciated what I wrote. Later on I got a personal reply via Facebook when I had sent Harriet a short note. She is from all I can tell a very sweet person. I am so looking forward to what she will be bringing to the music world in the future. I have listened enough to know while she sounds very much like Karen, she has her own voice and style for sure. And like some of you I am waiting to hear a more “upbeat” type song from her and more of her vocal range if there is that. All that being said, I personally do not care if she is a big hit in the music world, and I hope for her sake she is. However, I have found in this 21st century that some of the best musicians (without the backing) do not make it big a lot of times. I have had my say about Harriet if anyone is still with me. I would never abandon the Carpenters music; they are so much a part of me. But I do welcome Harriet and whatever she brings. Oh, and I follow her tweets daily. If you want to know what she will be doing or releasing next, that might be the way to go.

I am fairly new to this web site as a member, though I have been here a number of times before as a guest, I suppose. I am going to explain why I am writing shortly concerning Harriet, but let me mention a few things first. I consider myself a “good age” now, in my late fifties. I was probably a Carpenters fan from as close to day 1 as possible for most, after “Offering” but certainly by the 2nd album. I had a few favorites during that time, mostly pop singer/songwriters but the Carpenters were always number 1 in my book, and what a marvelous time to hear those songs and Karen’s voice in my teens and 20s! I will always treasure seeing them live in concert in 1973. I lived for their next song or album and did so until KC’s passing (which nearly killed me inside, by the way, at the time). So I have lived like probably you and so many others, off the music that was produced loving it and knowing that was it, there was no more except the few recordings that were released after her death. And I am sure like most of you I thought (and to some degree still do) that there will never be another voice like Karen’s, that beautiful, lovely sound that she was blessed with.
On December 26th of this year, I had the day off from work and came across on the internet an article about one of my current favorite singer/songwriters (I do not have many) and his Christmas single had made the top 10 of some list in England. I was curious and read the article. I was more curious about what was listed at number one, by some lady named Harriet, so I clicked on to the link to hear the song. I was floored. I found a few more of her songs on Sound Cloud and was, well floored does not describe what I felt – so many emotions. The first few lines of the song “If (when you go)” I thought sure was Karen. I did not know what to feel. Later I became happy when I read about this young lady, and her past, her musical likes and her plans with producer Steve Anderson. I read all that I believe you guys have done and loved her music even more, buying her currently two EPs. Like some of you, I am awaiting the next EP promised and a first album later this year. And yes, I believe my favorite, “What’s Mine Is Yours” is, in part, an acknowledgement of her sounding like Karen. Now to get to what I might have done differently than others that have discovered this lady. I saw that she had a management team email on her Facebook page and so I wrote to a lady named Alison Main by email and included a long letter to Harriet. Some of what I wrote to Harriet is noted above in what I have written all of you. I wished her the best and hoped to hear more of her music. I got a reply days later from Ms. Alison saying she forwarded my letter to Harriet and was told to let me know she appreciated what I wrote. Later on I got a personal reply via Facebook when I had sent Harriet a short note. She is from all I can tell a very sweet person. I am so looking forward to what she will be bringing to the music world in the future. I have listened enough to know while she sounds very much like Karen, she has her own voice and style for sure. And like some of you I am waiting to hear a more “upbeat” type song from her and more of her vocal range if there is that. All that being said, I personally do not care if she is a big hit in the music world, and I hope for her sake she is. However, I have found in this 21st century that some of the best musicians (without the backing) do not make it big a lot of times. I have had my say about Harriet if anyone is still with me. I would never abandon the Carpenters music; they are so much a part of me. But I do welcome Harriet and whatever she brings. Oh, and I follow her tweets daily. If you want to know what she will be doing or releasing next, that might be the way to go.

Hi I dont know if youve seen her sing live but watch this, this is a live video of her singing "Maybe this Christmas" on Graham Nortons radio show, it begins after she finishes talking to Graham.

Hi I dont know if youve seen her sing live but watch this, this is a live video of her singing "Maybe this Christmas" on Graham Nortons radio show, it begins after she finishes talking to Graham.

Yes, I first heard this on Sound Cloud a while back. Thank you. I had heard that she (and a couple of other lady singers) performed at what I think was a supper club in the London area at the end of last month. From what I heard she did well. It will be interesting to hear her again live at some point. If I come across any new information I will check back to see if it is posted here.

It seems like we might be getting closer to the new EP released by Harriet, she just posted a photo of what looks like the promo CD cover on her Facebook page. I wonder if this will be a digital download like the prior EP or will we get the chance to order a physical CD?

Back
Top Bottom