Harriet - (Singer with echoes of Karen Carpenter)*

I don't know if anyone bought the gold fan pack but mine arrived the other day,
Very impressed with the contents.I don't want to spoil exactly what is in it incase some are still waiting for it to arrive.
The cds are signed in card sleeves in different pen colour.There are postcards and a signed photo.The best has to be the individual handwritten
note in a special envelope.

Thanks for the feedback FHigh! It sounded like a great package. I hope she releases another physical CD! Maybe the album perhaps? So many new artists jump the physical release these days.

My gold fan pack finally arrived today! I was worried that it may have been lost in the mail. I guess I forgot how far London is from here. :laugh: I couldn't be more pleased with the contents, especially the handwritten note!

Chris, there are a couple of photos of the pack on Harriet's twitter page (you'll have to scroll down a ways, as they were posted on June 30th). I tried to take a photo of mine, but my camera's battery is dead and won't take a charge. One more thing to have to buy! :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/harrietsmusic

Thanks Murray for the link.

I missed the Gold Package and if it was still available I'd probably order it now...but I noticed today that there are only 4 copies (now 3) of "Introducing Harriet" the first CD release and since that one has "What's Mine Is Yours" the song that really started it all for me, I decided to order that CD today. I know I won't be getting a signed copy :sad:

I didn't want to miss out on at least the first CD that started it all....I will be buying her covers CD and her official release later and once this first CD sells out (which it looks like it will shortly) I would hit myself for not getting it for my collection.

It's remarkable how many of these gold fan packs were snapped up by people from this forum. I am one of them.
I love how Harriet personalised these exclusive items. The hand-written note in the special envelope with her personal seal was an unexpectedly classy touch.
Looking forward to the "Covers" EP now.

Yes. My head tells me she'd never, but I wonder given the early support from Carpenter fans whether she'd ever do a little cover of a Carpenters song. Even if it was simply just a refrain. It is mightily spooky (and beautiful) the similarity between the two singers. I suppose that's why she'd never go there. Why do that when Karen did it so well? Looking at the clues about the songs she's covered for this EP I bet your bottom $ all the songs were made famous by men. Has she confirmed the title yet?

No not at this writing but she has written today that she likes to perform songs previously made famous by men. Thus M. Jackson, M. Buble, etc. She has given a number of clues today on the cover songs (Twitter and Facebook) but I am not getting it other than guessing. Many of the songs I gave her as suggestions for cover songs (when she asked for suggestions) were by men. I would be floored if she picked one of those. And Jamie, she has said in a previous interview that she would not cover a Carpenters song. One can hope, but I subscribe to leaving perfection alone.

Been out of town a few days and not checking online forums. Thanks for the updates. She is still not revealing her sir name I see. Good for her, maintaining some privacy. Could be she has a recognizable name there in the U.K.

I like Andrea Corr's covers album. It's nice that artists, new and well established, are able to have so many wonderful older hits to draw on. Looking forward to Harriet's covers album and forthcoming original songs. She has a great talent. Perhaps covering songs by male singers is a good strategy. Less comparisons drawn. A totally fresh approach. I'm sure it'll be great, as is Out of my Life.

It seems like we have been waiting for the official album release for a while, I thought there was suppose to be an EP back in February? I wonder if this covers EP is the EP that was suppose to come out in February? So the covers EP is download only?

It also appears there will be 3 songs on the Covers EP, so one of them is She’s Out Of My Life. So that means only 2 more new songs?

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, just listened to the 3 samples on the Covers Cd. I'll probably pass on this one, I really prefer her original material i I did really like her version of I'm not in love.

Her original material helped me identify with her voice as an artist the switch to covers is confusing me a bit because like most covers it's hard to beat the original or in some cases like me if someone covers an artist that you really don't like its hard not to bring that to the table when listening. That's probably why I will pass on this covers. Hopefully with a new album of her own material I can get back to where I was when I first heard, What's Mine is Yours.

Last edited:
Chris, I certainly understand your feelings regarding covers. For me, while some covers are great, depending on the artist and the arrangement (their new interpretation) others do nothing for me, especially if I was not favorable to the song originally. Nevertheless, I will plan to purchase the covers EP on iTunes later this week.

It does seem reading between the lines of Harriet's Facebook, tweets, and Notebook entries on her web page, that the album is being pushed farther back for a release date. When I first started following her, it was to be released this summer, then later this year, and now I am not sure. While like you, I have loved her original music, I do hope to purchase an album CD sometime in the not too distant future.

The songs Harriet chose to cover may not be the ones I'd have most liked to hear her sing, but Harriet's voice is so good, that I'm sure they'll grow on me. I'd certainly rather listen to her sing them than the original artists! The Carpenters did a lot of cover songs too. Some are outstanding, others are not as good, but I'm still glad to have them all (well, with the possible exception of "Man Smart..."). :laugh:

So yeah, I'll definitely be buying the covers EP from iTunes. I want to support Harriet... she's an independent artist, and I imagine that studio time and hiring musicians doesn't come cheap. If she can make some money from her recordings, it will encourage and enable her to do more. Seriously, it's only going to cost $3.00 or so for the EP, so why not?!

Last edited:
Completely agree, Murray, with everything you have written. (even with the "possible exception") :laugh: Regarding the Sting/Police song, I always loved that song for whatever reason (outside of my usual musical likes). I recently heard a new interpretation of that version on a singing contest show and was blown away by what the artist did with the song. So I am very curious in hearing the complete version which Harriet and her producer have put together.

Harriet has written this morning that the "Every Breath" song will be played on Larry Flick's SiriusXM program at 9 EDT if you have access to that service.

Cons - The Covers. Not sure of the covers. From all the songs out there these are not the songs I would've picked. And, I don't mind covers at all. I see where you're coming from, Chris. I'd preferred Harriet to release her own material but commercially this makes sense and its a stop-gap between her own material. She does say so on her site. But, beside the MJ song I don't think I'm ever gonna love these songs in my Harriet collection even if she magically breathes new life into them.
Pros - The Covers. These adaptions are stunning. Steve Anderson and Harriet have imagined the songs to a state that I would actually like. When the album comes out I will add these tracks to my iTunes playlist as bonus tracks. They're beautiful and the more Harriet the better in my view. Maybe the original idea was to have the follow-up to Fly come out in September? Purely speculative. Maybe this is "one for us - its not original but have something special in the meantime" sort of deal. Yes, there are album delays but at least we're getting content and new songs with Harriet singing. In that respect, I am happy. And, if Murray is correct in saying that she's an independant artist its just another incentive reason to download the EP & support her (and many acts without a label support wouldn't arrange something like this as a "stop-gap" between her own releases for her fans because of lack of funds). Which makes me think she can't be independent. Can she? Really?

And, if Murray is correct in saying that she's an independant artist its just another incentive reason to download the EP & support her (and many acts without a label support wouldn't arrange something like this as a "stop-gap" between her own releases for her fans because of lack of funds). Which makes me think she can't be independent. Can she? Really?
Harriet is releasing these EPs independently. Need proof, take a look at the copyright notice...

iTunes UK:
Harriet_itunes_uk.jpg

Spotify:
Harriet_Spotify.jpg

Also, none of her videos on Youtube have a copyright notice at the end. They either just say "Harrietsmusic.com", or in the case of her new video, nothing at all. If a label had been involved, you can bet they'd have their mark on it.

I just listened to the EP on Spotify, and Harriet's vocals are stunning, as expected. I'll be very happy to have these tracks in my collection... now to go fire up iTunes and part with some money! :)

Well she sure is beautiful in that video no mistaking that and her vocals are great. I think the video should have shown who she was "watching you" a stand in even if it was a silhouette or non face shot someone to connect the story in the video.

This song is so identifiable with sting that I don't think I can hear anyone else singing it but him. I also really dislike Aerosmith so that doesn't help but that's a personal thing. It's weird because of all the covers my favorite was I'm Not In Love even though it was a cover it felt like her own recording.

Well she sure is beautiful in that video no mistaking that and her vocals are great. I think the video should have shown who she was "watching you" a stand in even if it was a silhouette or non face shot someone to connect the story in the video.
She was watching me Chris... that's what I choose to believe, here in the deluded fantasy world in which I live! :love: :rotf:

I'm only partially joking. I think that's why the video was shot the way it was, with Harriet looking straight into the camera. She's looking right at her "obsession", letting that person know that she's watching them. Looking into Harriet's eyes, the viewer gets drawn in, feeling like she's singing it directly to them, which gives the song a real sense of intimacy. Of course, I could be wrong! :laugh:

Oh, I know what you mean about associating this song with Sting. I remember the iconic black and white video, with Sting playing the standup bass.
:standup:

I can totally appreciate where Chris is coming from with the choice of covers. But I won't squabble squibble (as mom would say). I'm really taken aback by the fact she's independent. I like her even more so. Well done Murray on your close eye! I really got the impression it was all sown-up. She puts on a mighty good show.

Well after a few more listens of "Every Breath You Take" from the video, I ended up purchasing the track from iTunes....I think it was the ahhs in the middle of the song that got me.

Oh, I'm so upset....today I got my Harriet CD I ordered from her store, it came in a bubble envelope from the UK and from visual look of the package I could not see anything unusual, however when I opened it the CD jacket was bent on 1 corner. Here is a photo I just took, there's a little bit of flash return on the corner but the corner is so bent, argh!! I'm such a perfectionist about all my music I'm so sad this arrived with a bent corner. Oh well, it could be worse at least it arrived.

Harriet%20CD.jpg~original

My wife just saw the video with me for EBYT. She said, "Oh, she's pretty." I said, "But she sounds like Karen too." That not only got me off the hook so to speak, but she ended up listening with me and agreeing with the similarities.

Back
Top Bottom