Harriet - (Singer with echoes of Karen Carpenter)*

Harriet posted on Facebook a wonderful video of just her singing with Connor accompanying her on guitar. I don't know how to link it here. It is from Dan Wootton's FB page. Some of the songs I hadn't heard before. Beautiful job.

Does anyone know how much shipping will be from UK to US? It looks like £11.32 is about $14.80 US for the CD.

I really like the orchestra on this song, while I was watching I kept thinking to myself has Richard Carpenter heard Harriet?
Rick, I'm betting Richard has heard her! Mary Carpenter was apparently impressed enough with Harriet that she posted "What's Mine is Yours" on her Facebook page: Mary Carpenter shared a link. 30 August 2015!

That was great, thanks for the link. The only thing I would suggest (since this was a broadcast through television) is that I wished she made more eye contact with the camera during her performances. If you remember how Karen use to play to the audience through the camera, when Karen performed on television she had a way of looking into the camera and she was singing it just for you.

I think Harriet's performance would have been that much more incredible if she reeled the audience in through her interpretation of these 2 songs by playing more to the camera. This may not have been her fault as the cameraman seemed to be all over and only got in close once or twice. I can't wait for the new album and would be shocked if Richard has not heard her sing, someone needs to send this over his way.
I'm betting Richard has heard her! Mary Carpenter was apparently impressed enough with Harriet that she posted "What's Mine is Yours" on her Facebook page: Mary Carpenter shared a link. 30 August 2015!

While Harriet's voice is as different from Karen at times as it is similar, she does seem to love the same "types" of songs as the Carpenters would perform. Today she has released a cover a song "Reach" of which I am not too familiar, but I think was originally intended for children. (Correct me if I am wrong). However, her version is beautiful and comes across as a positive song for anyone.

While Harriet's voice is as different from Karen at times as it is similar, she does seem to love the same "types" of songs as the Carpenters would perform. Today she has released a cover a song "Reach" of which I am not too familiar, but I think was originally intended for children. (Correct me if I am wrong). However, her version is beautiful and comes across as a positive song for anyone.

I'm loving this song!

I love her version of this song, originally recorded by "S Club 7". It really works well as a ballad. For comparison, here's the uptempo original, which I also like...

Letting my imagination run wild, this recording honestly sounds like a Carpenters cover in an alternate universe where Karen survived. People's voices change over time, and Harriet's voice is just different enough where it could be what Karen would sound like in 2017. The song choice and arrangement seem like they're right up Richard's alley as well.

You can this song 'Reach' as a free download for signing on her mailing list, just go to the website Harrietsmusic.com

The song is pretty but it sounds too low Harriet and she does not have the same freedom with her lower range as Karen did. That is one reason it is not good to compare someone to someone else for there are always disappointments in comparison. An artist should stand alone. A reflection, maybe at times, but a voice needs to stand alone and Harriet deserves and needs that respect.

Take any Harriet song and compare it to Karen singing Where Do I Go Frim Here, and you will see what I mean. A singer deserves more than a reflection and they need that stand alone quality to succeed. I think she deserves to stand apart from the level of an Elvis impersonator and if this is her base of fans that energy of separation needs to begin here. Karen and Harriet are two different people and two different artists.

Craig

The song is pretty but it sounds too low Harriet and she does not have the same freedom with her lower range as Karen did. That is one reason it is not good to compare someone to someone else for there are always disappointments in comparison. An artist should stand alone. A reflection, maybe at times, but a voice needs to stand alone and Harriet deserves and needs that respect.

Take any Harriet song and compare it to Karen singing Where Do I Go Frim Here, and you will see what I mean. A singer deserves more than a reflection and they need that stand alone quality to succeed. I think she deserves to stand apart from the level of an Elvis impersonator and if this is her base of fans that energy of separation needs to begin here. Karen and Harriet are two different people and two different artists.

Craig

I've said this before but it's apt here. I don't listen to any of Harriet's material because I don't want to listen to someone who so closely resembles Karen in timbre and style, whether she's trying to or not. I'd rather just listen to Karen.

I've said this before but it's apt here. I don't listen to any of Harriet's material because I don't want to listen to someone who so closely resembles Karen in timbre and style, whether she's trying to or not. I'd rather just listen to Karen.
Amen. I had a friend at work and we started to talk about The Carpenters (he is a big fan also) and he started to tell me I should go on YouTube and see this girl and that girl and how much they "sounded" like Karen Carpenter. I told him flat out; "I like the real deal." I know there are a million Karen "sound a likes" in the world but a few mouse clicks away I can see the woman herself. I would have to go on YouTube anyway to see the latest Karen sound a like from The Philippines or where ever, so why don't I go on YouTube, download Karen singing Rainy Days And Mondays or Superstar live on a 1971 BBC television special? They are both prerecorded, correct? I just can't get excited about impersonators; whether its Elvis, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, etc. Or bad lounge acts featuring "An Evening With The Carpenters". The girl featured here is talented, no doubt about that. She does sound, in a lot of ways, like Karen. But, blaze your own way for crying out loud! When I see a concert or TV appearance that features Karen Carpenter, it doesn't matter that I have seen it 100 times before. It always effects me like I have seen it for the first time. That was the timeless quality of her music and her persona. There are intangibles with Karen that are not so easily replicated; you might be able to "impersonate" the timbre and tone of her voice, but can you impersonate her emotional connection with her audience?, her sweetness?, decency, humor, sensuality, innocence, charisma, etc?

Carpe diem, I totally understand your viewpoint and, in large part, agree with your assessment. Karen was one of a kind, no doubt. For me, no one will ever come close to the (for lack of a better word) perfection that was Karen...

I just can't get excited about impersonators; whether its Elvis, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, etc. Or bad lounge acts featuring "An Evening With The Carpenters".

But there is a huge difference between an impersonator and a similar sounding voice. I was never a fan of Elvis (in part because his greatest success was before my time). There is a cottage industry of Elvis impersonators, some of whom, in my opinion, have tainted his legacy. Some such impersonators truly attempt to honor their "king," but I think it's safe to say that his look, his swagger, and even his voice can be somewhat easily copied.

On the other hand, Karen had such a unique voice and possessed, as you say, "emotional connection with her audience, her sweetness, decency, humor, sensuality, innocence, charisma, etc," that her performing persona was not ripe for mimicking or impersonation. I have seen a Carpenters' tribute show, produced by Jim Brickman, which was very good (featuring 2 female and 1 male singer), and I have heard of Akiko and Dami Im who have made tributes to Karen and sound a little like her. I think Rumer sounds a little like Karen, at times as well.

Harriet's voice just happens to sound a lot like Karen's (more so than any other singer I've heard). Although Carpenters' music was among her influences, I don't think she is purposefully impersonating Karen. Harriet's singing voice is natural and highly reminiscent of Karen's. It isn't a forced attempt at idolatry. I enjoy Harriet, in large part, because her voice and style are similar to Karen's, and she does great work with ballads and remakes. It's a soothing voice, like Karen's, and I have come to appreciate her. She is clearly a different person, a different performer. But I can enjoy and listen to Harriet and not feel as though I am "cheating" on Karen. :)

Thanks for your reply. I love reading and responding to all the great comments on these forums, although I spend way too much time on them and get nothing done around the house (my wife is starting to get "pissed")! So many true fans with great knowledge and opinions to bring to the table!

I love reading and responding to all the great comments on these forums

Thank you, Carpe diem! I should point out that I wasn't trying to oversell Harriet. You, newvillefan, and others here have no interest in Harriet, primarily for reasons you've outlined, and I can understand that. I just thought I would lend my voice to this discussion on "voice" and explain why I enjoy Harriet. BTW, she also showed great appreciation for her fans with her special packages on her self-produced CDs.

I echo your sentiments on the great comments at this forum. There are terrific people here (members and moderators alike). Opinions are divergent, particularly with regard to favorite (and least favorite) Carpenters' songs, albums, etc. But it's always so interesting --- and respectful. I have learned and enjoyed so much here. It astounds and pleases me that, to this day, Carpenters' fans are still around, fans of all ages... I'm glad you've found this unique website! It can't be easily impersonated either... :)

In a way, I almost feel sorry for Harriet that her natural singing voice is so similar to Karen's. It can't be easy for her always being compared to Karen, when she is trying to build a career for herself on her own merits. Every interview she does, the first thing out of the interviewer's mouth is inevitably to mention how much she sounds like Karen, and I'm sure that Harriet is tired of hearing it already, if not outright annoyed (she told one interviewer, rather tersely, "Karen is Karen, and I'm me").

I agree with James that Harriet is far from an impersonator. When I hear "impersonator", I think of all the guys dressed like Elvis, or tribute bands like "Bjorn Again" - performing the songs of the person/band they are mimicking. Harriet writes her own original songs (something Karen never did), and also does covers of songs she likes, from such diverse artists as 10cc, Michael Jackson, The Police, Michael Buble, Spice Girls, and S Club 7 - but not Carpenters songs! She couldn't look more unlike Karen (she's a tall, blue-eyed blonde), she doesn't dress like her, she doesn't play the drums, she employs female backing singers in her band, and there isn't an oboe in sight! :laugh: What she does have in common with Karen is a similar timbre / tone, or as I would describe it, "resonance", although they don't share the same range (Karen could sing lower, while Harriet can sing higher). They also are both "crooners", not ones to needlessly embellish their vocals, and able to convey genuine emotion in their interpretation of a song - all qualities that I appreciate in any singer, female or male.

Ultimately, the way I look at it is, I've been a fan of Carpenters for going on 47 years. I've listened to all of their recordings more times than I can remember. I also enjoy a lot of other music, much of which is very different to what Richard and Karen produced. In the 34 years since Karen passed, I have even become a fairly serious fan of a small handful of other artists, but none of those have given me the consistent "chills" that Karen's voice did - until Harriet. There's just no way that I'm going to deny myself that experience! :) It's also nice to once again, as it was in 1970, follow an artist from the beginning, anticipating each new release.

Once I got over the initial "wow factor" of the similarities between Karen and Harriet - the more I listen to Harriet, the more I can hear the differences as well, and it's all good to me. I know that preferences in music are a very personal thing, but I think it would be a shame to simply write off Harriet without at least giving her music a chance first.

Last edited:
To each their own. Harriet isn't the only singer I listen to. Over time, in my opinion, she has improved her vocal control. I do like very much some of the ballads she writes. When I hear a particularly moving one, I am reminded of Karen Carpenter, as she was a knockout with a mournful ballad.

Harriet posted a new cover by George Michael "You Have Been Loved"
I think this is the lowest I have ever heard Harriet sing, it's really not hard to hear some of Karen's lower notes.
In some songs Karen makes that vocal cry in her voice take a listen at about 3:16-3:20 I hear this same technique.
Some lower notes I'm hearing Harriet sing for the first time seems to be about
2:10, 2:17, 2:25, 4:39 and 4:53

They also are both "crooners", not ones to needlessly embellish their vocals, and able to convey genuine emotion in their interpretation of a song - all qualities that I appreciate in any singer, female or male.

@Murray, I just reread your post (#365 in this thread), comparing Harriet and Karen. You make some terrific points, with which I heartily agree. I highlight your comments on the qualities you "appreciate in any singer" as I completely agree with you and could have written the same words. I don't care for singers who like to "embellish their vocals," and I find "genuine emotion" in the performance of any singer to be a vital aspiration. Karen was exceptional at that, and so is Harriet.

It's nicer than before but still does not have the bell ring of clarity and richness with ease of Karen. I think kd Lang has better clarity at lower notes but does not duplicate Karen. It's better for singers to find their own style as did kd Lang and I think Harriet is on her way to achieve it.

I continue to be impressed with
Harriet.
The George Michael cover, above, has some remarkable vocal prowess.
No, Karen Carpenter will never be usurped by another --at least, not in my mind.
But, there is room for those who carve their own way:
Among my favorite musical "carvers"....
Tammy Wynette (almost anything)
Lorrie Morgan (
sings a great cover of... I Need To Be In Love)
Olivia Newton-John (too many to list)
Helen Reddy (
especially... You're My World)
Connie Francis
(listen to .... Ave Maria)
Dusty Springfield
Rumor
Harriet

None of the above holds a candle (imho) to Karen Carpenter.
But, each of the above holds a special place in my musical mansion.

I'm surprised Harriet continues to get so much coverage in this forum. None of the above artists do, not even Rumor. Yes she's a great vocalist with some nice material, but she's not Karen. She doesn't pretend to be and doesn't record Carpenters covers. In that sense, that's where my interest ends. As GaryAlan says, she's carving her own way.

Last edited:
And, gee I even neglected to mention (shame on me) the great
inimitable, Shania Twain.
Oh, my love of country music is apparent.

I'm surprised Harriet continues to get so much coverage in this forum. None of the above artists do, not even Rumor. Yes she's a great vocalist with some nice material, but she's not Karen. She doesn't pretend to be and doesn't record Carpenters covers. In that sense, that's where my interest ends. As GaryAlan says, she's carving her own way.
Stephen, I don't understand your post?
Of course she's not Karen no one ever will be but that doesn't mean the listener doesn't find similarities of Karen's vocals. We don't want her to be a Karen, I'm actually surprised she's not getting more coverage. Whenever I hear an artist that sounds remotely like Karen's voice my ears perk up and I've not heard another female artist that sounds even close to Karen's sound until I heard Harriet's "What's Mine Is Yours" and this cover of "You Have Been Loved" also brings touches of reflections reminding me of Karen's voice.

I'd rather her not cover a Carpenters track but I still believe she really needs a producer like Richard who can really bring out her vocals to their fullest and not just make cover tracks, she also needs a writer like John Bettis who knows how to write songs that make people take notice. I'm talking about producers and writers like Richard and John...not to turn her into a Karen but to bring out the best of her lower register that is very reminiscent of Karen's.

Stephen, I don't understand your post?
Of course she's not Karen no one ever will be but that doesn't mean the listener doesn't find similarities of Karen's vocals. We don't want her to be a Karen, I'm actually surprised she's not getting more coverage. Whenever I hear an artist that sounds remotely like Karen's voice my ears perk up and I've not heard another female artist that sounds even close to Karen's sound until I heard Harriet's "What's Mine Is Yours" and this cover of "You Have Been Loved" also brings touches of reflections reminding me of Karen's voice.

I'd rather her not cover a Carpenters track but I still believe she really needs a producer like Richard who can really bring out her vocals to their fullest and not just make cover tracks, she also needs a writer like John Bettis who knows how to write songs that make people take notice. I'm talking about producers and writers like Richard and John...not to turn her into a Karen but to bring out the best of her lower register that is very reminiscent of Karen's.

Rick, I don't know where you get this idea that Harriet just makes cover tracks. Look at her official debut CD for a moment, and you'll see that 10 of the 11 tracks are original songs! These covers that she puts out on Youtube are a nice bonus in my opinion. They keep her in the public eye until her next album comes out, and what's wrong with that? If you think about it, the Carpenters recorded a whole lot of covers too - remember their obsession with the "oldies"?

Harriet already has a producer. His name is Steve Anderson, and he's very well-known in UK music circles as a producer, musician, and songwriter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Anderson_(musician)

The last thing I would want to see is for Harriet to work with Richard Carpenter. She's already accused by some people of trying to be a Karen wannabe (which we know isn't true), so how would it look if she were to be produced by Karen's brother ("to bring out the best of her lower register")? She also has no need for John Bettis, as she's her own lyricist (and a good one at that). She wrote the lyrics for all 10 of the original songs on her debut album!

Back
Top Bottom