Harriet - (Singer with echoes of Karen Carpenter)*

If I were on the other side of the pond I'd love to see her show.
At the moment Harriet is on your side the pond. She has tweeted that she is in New York, maybe making some contacts, I hope so.

Did a radio interview on SirusXM - baby steps

Hello, it has been a while since I was here. Has anyone heard when Harriet will release her new album? I have heard her say she is working on one for over a year now, and has traveled several times to Sweden for that endeavor. I have heard her write that she has performed some of the songs on her tour dates in England. Please let me know if you have heard any more. Thanks.

Hello garyjo777. Apparently Harriet has been recording in Sweden at the old Atlantis studios where ABBA recorded some albums and also at other studios.There was work done with an orchestra recently but the album looks like a winter release.Most songwriters seem to be from Sweden .Not heard any new stuff yet as I didn't go to her recent concerts here.

For those in the US, Harriet is currently in Orlando, Florida. She is recording live from Universal Studios for BBC Radio 2 as part of their summer escape.

Totally fail to see the point in Carpenters covers (they have already nailed it for me), and very glad she has not done any, but so looking forward to new music from Harriet who is a great new singer in her own right.

It looks like they are releasing the music that she's recorded for the Universal Studios/BBC Radio 2 show as part of something called Universal Sessions. So far we've heard a pretty amazing version of Smoke Gets In Your Eyes and an O.K version of Take On Me. I would've preferred new music but I think she's taking more time to make her new album so this is a nice 'something-in-between' releases.

Coming out on Monday. Likely digital but hoping for a physical format.

It came out today on iTunes. It's an odd bunch of songs. Smoke Gets In Your Eyes is still the best of the bunch. Take On Me, You Get What You Give and When you Say Nothing At All aren't that great. I really want new material now. She mentioned on the show that she has been in Stockholm writing but she has been saying this for ages. I hope she updates us soon on new music.

DlcoOBNW4AER6dI.jpg

She has just announced physical formats of the E.P! And, for the first time ever there's a vinyl which comes with a bonus track! Goes through her webshop.

According to my browser (both chrome and safari) her store website is not secure, there is no padlock and no https. Chrome indicates the site is not secure and to avoid any personal info. I wonder why? For any other website there is always the padlock icon, even this site has a padlock and the https.

I was going to order her vinyl 12" but I'm hesitant. Can anyone else confirm they are getting the same response?

Yes Rick, no HTTPS I'm afraid but I don't think it is anything sinister just lacking tech expertise. I have shopped there using Paypal, that went without hitch and meant that no financial details were given insecurely.

When Karen opened her mouth to sing. It was all there. The perfect phrasing, enunciation, pitch, tone and emotion. Things no one taught her. God built all that into Karen's Voice when He gifted her with her vocal talents. If only she would have had more time to grow and develop as an artist. What would she or could she have recorded? What would the Carpenters sound evolved into?

Awhile back it was rumored that Richard was going to be working with a promising singer. Do you suppose this is her? If so, I wonder what happened. If not, surely he has heard her sing. Speaking of who Richard could produce!
I talked to the woman Richard was co writing Christmas songs with. At that time several years ago he was working in the studio recording all the new Christmas material with a new singer he was working with. This woman said Richard had intended releasing his new Christmas music with this new female vocalist. Why it was not released is a mystery. Perhaps he did want anything conflicting with Karen's legacy? Would be nice to hear from Richard about what happened with this Christmas project.

Why it was not released is a mystery. Perhaps he did want anything conflicting with Karen's legacy? Would be nice to hear from Richard about what happened with this Christmas project.

He mentioned in the German interview which was conducted very recently and posted on this forum that he's still working on the tracks and has the new singer ready to go. It's anyone's guess why the subject has come up repeatedly over recent years and yet still nothing has materialised.

I just listened to Harriet for the first time. Never heard her before today. I agree that on the occasional note she has a resemblance to Karen’s tone. In fact, she sounds as if she deliberately copies a couple of Karen’s little vocal ploys, such as the scraping low and then veering up to the note required thing that Karen started doing around 1977. I haven’t ever read any of the comments on this ‘Harriet’ thread.

I just listened to a couple of YouTube songs myself for the first time. I think she would be an excellent singer for Richard's songs and or arrangements, if they get along. Nice alto voice with control and passion. Hope the rumors are true.

I've just discovered that Harriet has been doing live sessions on Facebook while the UK is in lockdown for the coronavirus. Chat and singing, not the best acoustics as a home recording but gives a good feel of the woman is like and can do. Enjoy :)

Hello everybody, I am new to this forum and website. I've always loved Carpenters songs, along with other singers such as Linda Rondstadt, Olivia Newton-John and Nina Simone. Lately I have started to record some, very amateur-style I'm afraid, on Youtube for friends to cheer them up during the lockdown. So, I am here to learn and find out more about what you think of Karen Carpenter's voice. If I get to the point of having confidence to post a link, I may do but in complete respect and reverence to Karen Carpenter. I don't quite believe what a friend said recently: "Beautiful voice. Karen Carpenter would be proud". Crazy. Best wishes, Keren.

^^ Welcome to the forum!:)

Interesting the spelling of your first name, is it pronounced the same as Karen?

What do I think of Karen's voice? None better. The best female pop singer that's ever lived.

Back
Top Bottom