Heads up for British Fans this christmas

Nicko

This has just come up on my British Radio guide, a special christmas Carpenters show presented by Petula Clark.

MUSIC: A Carpenters' Christmas with Petula Clark
On: BBC Radio Two (0102)
Date: Saturday 24th December 2016 (starting in 22 days)
Time: 16:00 to 17:00 (1 hour long)

An anytime alert is set for 2 weeks 1 day 0 minutes before the programme starts
Petula Clark tells the story of The Carpenters' music for Christmas including their seminal single Merry Christmas Darling and their landmark album Christmas Portrait.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marked By: 'Carpenter' marker
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=237

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

This is a screenshot taken from the BBC iPlayer website

15590732_10208087324443219_7127199605581847798_o.jpg

This has just come up on my British Radio guide, a special christmas Carpenters show presented by Petula Clark.

Petula Clark tells the story of The Carpenters' music for Christmas including their seminal single Merry Christmas Darling and their landmark album Christmas Portrait.
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=237

Thanks for the heads up.....a truly magical Christmas Eve tribute to Karen & Richard.

I love Petula Clark...as Springsteen said, music stops the clock!!! Merry Christmas and Happy Everything, Everyone!!!. It' raining in Connecticut.and so what!?!! .

I was rather disappointed with this. Petula Clark is a huge talent and a knowledgeable woman, but there was no thread hanging this together. The BBC description of '...she tells the story of their music for Christmas ...' was misleading. I was longing to hear some background details on how the albums were conceived and produced, with perhaps some interview snippets from RC. It was really nothing more than songs being played - including Please Mr Postman and Only Yesterday! (?)!

I was rather disappointed with this. Petula Clark is a huge talent and a knowledgeable woman, but there was no thread hanging this together. The BBC description of '...she tells the story of their music for Christmas ...' was misleading. I was longing to hear some background details on how the albums were conceived and produced, with perhaps some interview snippets from RC. It was really nothing more than songs being played - including Please Mr Postman and Only Yesterday! (?)!

I thought the same thing...anyone could have narrated this. I also thought there would be more of a "story" to the special, with anecdotes about the making of the 1978 album and their Christmas singles and maybe even some archival radio excerpts from Karen and Richard. It was just weak links from one song to another and a couple of non Christmas songs thrown in, presumably to avoid it being Christmas tunes for a full hour...but then, that was the whole point of it.

michiganguy has posted an interview with Karen Carpenter where the story behind the Christmas songs is told, it's a real good show. Going back to A Carpenters' Christmas with Petula Clark, I would agree that it lacked background information, but it remains a treat because of all the Christmas music out there, the Carpenters were chosen and broadcast on Christmas Eve.

Back
Top Bottom