Heard Carpenters

It is. Its really worth watching and the Carpenters singing help is one I haven't seen before, it seems to show Richard singing a lot more than the others Ive seen.
It’s taken from the 1971 BBC concert. I think they're mining/lip synching but it's still great to watch. A track I never grow tired of and I love the organ towards the end.

Reactions: Sue
A little bit late but it should still be on the BBC radio player.
On Johnnie Walkers Sounds of the 70's Sunday show yesterday, Top of the world was played about 1 Hour 10 into the show. A short old interview with Richard was played before playing the track. Richard was telling the story as to why Carpenters released the song as a single.

WUCF TV is currently playing Carpenters Close To You combined with Christmas Memories....
I tuned in rather late (it ends in 15 minutes) but the Christmas portion is AWESOME.....
have not seen and heard this until today (that is, the Christmas Memories).
My God, that lady is beautiful , and beautifully sounding !!

Next airing:
December 6th, 8 pm....
Can't wait !

WUCF TV is currently playing Carpenters Close To You combined with Christmas Memories....
I tuned in rather late (it ends in 15 minutes) but the Christmas portion is AWESOME.....
have not seen and heard this until today (that is, the Christmas Memories).
My God, that lady is beautiful , and beautifully sounding !!

Next airing:
December 6th, 8 pm....
Can't wait !
Gary, I also came across this program on my local PBS station (KVIE) last night while channel surfing. I saw "Carpenters" referenced on the screen and came to a screeching halt. Though it is a pledge drive, it has some great snippets in it. Karen singing a full rendition of Christ Is Born and in her green Calling All Occupants...jumpsuit (OMG she IS beautiful!) for The Christmas Song. And they also included footage that I had never seen before, Petula Clark at the piano shortly after Karen had died singing a tribute to Karen. It was moving...I also noticed that the hosts of the pledge drive came back on the air teary-eyed from that segment. They apologized for being emotional! It is amazing the impact Karen Carpenter has on people even to this day.

KOIT FM 96.5, an over-the-air station out of San Francisco plays a lot of Carpenters Christmas music. I have heard The Christmas Waltz, No Place Like Home For The Holidays, Sleigh Ride, I'll Be Home For Christmas, etc. The other channel out of Sacramento; no Carpenters at all...Not even Merry Christmas Darling:sad:.

I have never heard Merry Christmas Darling in the UK. I'm sure it must be played but never even seems to be on Christmas favourites on the TV. Was it released/on the charts ever over here?

hi
Merry christmas charted in UK in january 1972 and peaked on chart at no 45/was only on chart for 1 week.Also in december 1990 it was on bside of close to you when re released in UK where it peaked at no 25.
Ive heard meery christmas darling on smooth radio but only very occasionally.Carpenters christmas musicdoes not seem to get played very often in UK.

hi
Merry christmas charted in UK in january 1972 and peaked on chart at no 45/was only on chart for 1 week.Also in december 1990 it was on bside of close to you when re released in UK where it peaked at no 25.
Ive heard meery christmas darling on smooth radio but only very occasionally.Carpenters christmas musicdoes not seem to get played very often in UK.

Thanks Adam I did wonder why I never heard them. UK don't know what they are missing!

At least in the UK, Carpenters get more attention for their non-seasonal recordings. Christmas is probably the only time you hear the Carpenters state-side. :laugh:

Reactions: Sue
I heard 'Merry Christmas Darling' on BBC Local Radio earlier this week too. It's never received loads of airplay in the UK, but it seems to be getting more plays at Christmas these days than it used to. The Christmas albums weren't good sellers in the UK and the Christmas singles only did moderate business back in the day, which probably explains why they don't have much of a profile on radio.

As others have said though, the rest of their catalogue gets a decent amount of airplay on various UK stations throughout the year, so that makes up for it.

Had the pleasure of hearing ‘I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day’ today, which segued into a 1943 Christmas radio show about a soldier traveling by train ‘to see my girl on Christmas’. It was really cool. The DJ said, ‘And that’s Karen and Richard Carpenter’, and then the old show cue’d up. About 90 minutes later, the same station played ‘Merry Christmas Darling’ from ‘78.

hi chris

have to say, after Karen appeared and went, I turned it off :)
I was expecting full versions of the songs, rather than clips, but it was nice to see Karen last a bit longer than the others.
amazing how they keep popping up here and there, I watched a new dvd last night about the voyager space carft and `calling occupants` was given a blast :agree:

This is a first... Was at a breakfast / lunch location yesterday and while there I heard "Something in Your Eyes"... Never heard anything from Time anywhere - any place. Interesting, no?

This is a first... Was at a breakfast / lunch location yesterday and while there I heard "Something in Your Eyes"... Never heard anything from Time anywhere - any place. Interesting, no?
I think it was written with Karen in mind. It is such a beautiful song and even though it follows the “single recipe” the melody and chord structure supersceed the criticism. Had she recorded it we would hear more of it.

Please Mr Postman on "50 best moments of Harry Potter"! Totally unexpected.
This wednesday on Sky Arts The Documentary- Close to You
Friday BBC4 the documentary- Only Yesterday

A good week for the Carpenters.

wow, got them all on DVD, but it`s still nice to be spoilt :)
mr postman and harry potter ............. I don`t get the connection :confused:

Please Mr Postman on "50 best moments of Harry Potter"! Totally unexpected.
This wednesday on Sky Arts The Documentary- Close to You
Friday BBC4 the documentary- Only Yesterday

A good week for the Carpenters.
Being repeated after transmission on Friday.

26166177_10210997357152218_500837334161924193_n.jpg

i didn't know about this thread, So will share as many as i can remember, including a lot from school !

the ones from school first....
My Religious Studies teacher (one of my favorites teachers) found out about my Carpenters obsession and she revealed she use to listen to them. From that moment on she played Carpenters songs most lessons, for me and the rest of the class. One lesson she played the whole "Gold" album. I remember fondly i got an A on the test and she wrote "you must feel on 'Top Of The World'
Another teacher, my French teacher,heard me humming "Yesterday Once More". He said "that's the Carpenters" ! Later on we had to translate a piece of text from French to English... I was stook on the word "Solitaire". He said "come on you know this... It's a Carpenters song!" He then started to sing it! Another lesson he told me that he heard a question about them on a games show in which he discovered she was a drummer.

so out of school i have heard "Close To You" on many TV adverts including on the BBC. The BBC also used "Calling Occupants" for their children's channel.
There is an ITV special called "The 50 Greatest Harry Potter Moments" which features the Carpenters "Please Mr. Postman".
another experience i remember was when i got my braces, in the orthodontist waiting room "A Song For You" was playing.
the TV soap drama "Coronation Street" has played "Only Yesterday" and "Rainy Days And Mondays" I also heard "Sing" in the background of 'The Voice' once.

i love hearing the Carpenters as a surprise when I'm least expecting it. Here in the UK whenever i meet anyone like record shop owners, neighbors ect. They have nothing but nice things to say about the Carpenters!

Back
Top Bottom