Heard Carpenters

The 1973 single version of "Top of the World" is played in full in the opening of season 2 episode 1 of "Afterlife" which has just been put on Netflix. It's a nice treat and will get our duo out there even more.... As of 6pm UK time "Top of the World" is at #162 in Australia and #282 on iTunes. Gold Greatest Hits is at #41 in Australia and #82 in the UK. Let's keep an eye on the chart movement

The 1973 single version of "Top of the World" is played in full in the opening of season 2 episode 1 of "Afterlife" which has just been put on Netflix. It's a nice treat and will get our duo out there even more.... As of 6pm UK time "Top of the World" is at #162 in Australia and #282 on iTunes. Gold Greatest Hits is at #41 in Australia and #82 in the UK. Let's keep an eye on the chart movement

Overnight and this morning "Top of the World" has been getting closer to the Top 100 and Gold has dipped in and out around the Top 50 in the UK and Australia

I heard "Only Yesterday" on Sirius XM Ch. 70 earlier this morning in the car and what a wonderful way to start my day! What a glorious and sophisticated single that one is, and no wonder it's one of my (if not all-time) favorites of the C's and also loved by so many of fans. I never grow tired of hearing this amazing recording, and in fact, it just hit me that we're about to celebrate this single's 45th anniversary of its pop chart peak in May 1975! Can you believe it and how time flies....it was "only yesterday" that.....

“Hurting Each Other” on Dick Clark’s Rock Roll and Remember show featured artists The Fifth Demention 102.7 Guernville, Ca. They were #9 on AT40 yesterday with “Sing”, for the week of 5/5/73. It had already peaked by then, sand station. Get the app.for free. The Wolf!!

On AT40 It’s Going To Take Some Time @ #25. He talked about Agnes saying Karen was a better baseball player than Richard. If there was ever a squabble with the neighborhood kids, she’d step in an protect him. He said it was kind of embarrassing, that she always got picked first when playing.
Fun little story Kacy Kasem told. 7/4/1972.

This wasn’t a song on the radio or anything but there was a category of ‘Famous Karens’ on the TV quiz show ‘Pointless’ this evening.

Out of five different ‘Famous Karens’, contestants had to guess who would be the least recognisable and the aim is to get a ‘pointless’ answer ie. out of the 100 people asked, no one able to identify them would score zero and win.

Karen scored a very respectable 76 (if I remember rightly, but it was definitely in the 70s) and so was a losing score in the game, but also that makes her a pretty famous Karen :)

92.9 from Bryn Mawr, PA is a great station.
They played " Sing" on my way into work.
I wonder if Karen's drum riffs at the end of the song were meticulously planned, or just random fills.

I heard We've Only Just Begun today at noon on Radio Nostalgia, as the office where I work this summer was blasting that station loudly for a while. For some reason I got shivers at the beginning of the song and also at the end and teared up a little. It was followed by Bee Gee's Staying Alive...

Also a couple of weeks a go we were watching tv late at night. BF opened the tv and the first thing I heard was Close To You as it was playing on one of the YLE channels, which doesn't show any shows at night but plays the radio station night show or earlier daily shows. Turned out the song was part of a program called "Klassikkokäräjät" (=roughly translated Court of Classics or something like that), where they reviewed 6 classic songs. Some of them were finnish. The songs they were listening were: SHIRLEY BASSEY - Goldfinger / HECTOR - Herra Mirandos / CARPENTERS - Close to you / EURYTHMICS - There must be an angel / TOTO - Rosanna / RAULI BADDING SOMERJOKI - Fiilaten ja höyläten.
I went online and listened some parts of the show and what they said about the Carpenters. They talked about Karen's voice, how greatly their music and Close To You was made, not like music is made today. Someone said it was "baby making music" (which I don't really agree), to someone it was embarrassing to listen to it back in the day as it was "girls music" like Hector too - you listened it in secret! Close to you got 24 points and was at 3rd position of the 6 songs at the end.

Heard ‘It’s Going To Take Some Time’ a couple of weeks ago on MeTV Radio 87.7 in Chicago. It was the original mix and it sounded great on the airwaves.

I was just watching Disc 3 of The Muppet Show on DVD, and the Cleo Laine episode featured “You’re Just In Love” as a duet between Laine and Swedish Chef. But, really, Karen is a better singer than Laine and Richard does a better job than Chef.

I’m listening to old vinyl this afternoon, and decided to try out The Carpenters Collection from Canada. Two lp set from 1978. The silver cover, not the brown. I have both. Anyway it’s very well pressed. Minimal noise and very brightly mixed. I’m impressed with the overall sound. 22 cuts total. A mixture of singles and album cuts. The only cheesy parts are the package and picture, plain record label. It was a tv offer set after all. Anyway I’m glad I bought them. Precision Records, Toronto, Canada.

I’m listening to old vinyl this afternoon, and decided to try out The Carpenters Collection from Canada. Two lp set from 1978. The silver cover, not the brown. I have both. Anyway it’s very well pressed. Minimal noise and very brightly mixed. I’m impressed with the overall sound. 22 cuts total. A mixture of singles and album cuts. The only cheesy parts are the package and picture, plain record label. It was a tv offer set after all. Anyway I’m glad I bought them. Precision Records, Toronto, Canada.
There’s a thread for it:

Political commentator Bill O'Reilly on his syndicated radio commentary ("The O'Reilly Update") this morning mentioned the "Carpenters" & the single Close To You and added this comment; "Karen Carpenter in my opinion, had the best female voice ever."

It begins at 9:25:

Back
Top Bottom