Heard Carpenters

A couple of weird Carpenters “singles” have recently surfaced on Spotify - backed up by posts about them on the UMe official page. They’re nothing more than the album versions.

This oddity is also on there, with a credit © Ⓟ Applause:

Carpenters at #16 with Only Yesterday, on AT40 after spending 2 weeks at #4, June 7th 1975. One of 12 Top 12 hits on the at 40, Casey added. Sadly, the last.

Carpenters at #16 with Only Yesterday, on AT40 after spending 2 weeks at #4, June 7th 1975. One of 12 Top 12 hits on the at 40, Casey added. Sadly, the last.
Unbelievably the last. It was a really strange Summer with the Sedaka incident, "Solitaire" falling short and my seeing Carpenters at the Valley Forge Music Fair three times...( and meeting Karen and Richard face to face three times). A very heady Summer.

Oops! That should be 12 hits in the top 10. The phone rang and I didn’t get to read what I typed. Sorry.

...And here is my own recording of "Only Yesterday" live from Valley Forge Music Fair back in 1975.

If I may ask, how did you record this, back in 1975? What type of recording device? Sounds pretty good actually, for the time :)

Edit to add: And did you record the entire concert?

Several people did, I believe. The had personal cassette recorders they snuck inside. I did that at the Christmas concert in Long Beach 1978. They didn’t check for such items very hard back then. I used to have a cassette copy from a fan that lived in the area. He taped several shows around that time. He wrote the limited Downey Soft fanzine for a few months, until he was told to cease publication. Great concert. Thanks Harry.

We used a small cassette recorder smuggled in in one of the ladies' purses. The sound system in Valley Forge Music Fair was amazing and recorded pretty well.

So of course they tore it down and built a shopping center...

We used a small cassette recorder smuggled in in one of the ladies' purses. The sound system in Valley Forge Music Fair was amazing and recorded pretty well.

So of course they tore it down and built a shopping center...

Of course, duh, a cassette recorder...was having a brain f&rt and couldn't remember the name. Of course had one of my own then, as well...

Carpenters at #20 with I Won’t Last A Day Without You the week of 6/8/74, after peaking at #11 on the AT40. Casey said they very might well be the biggest act of the 70’s so far. A tease of his show to air 3 weeks later, that summer. The top recording acts of the 70’s. I hope the rerun the broadcast. The Wolf 102.7 Guernville, Ca 🤞

Heard Carpenters on AT40, for the week of July 21st 1979? Not on the charts with a new cut, but as a dedication song to the people of the hill country of Texas that suffered great flooding from a hurricane that had just passed there. The listener requested “We’ve Only Just Begun” as a tribute to his suffering community. Pretty special to hear this morning. Hoping everyone stays healthy though this stressful pandemic.

Heard Carpenters on AT40, for the week of July 21st 1979? Not on the charts with a new cut, but as a dedication song to the people of the hill country of Texas that suffered great flooding from a hurricane that had just passed there. The listener requested “We’ve Only Just Begun” as a tribute to his suffering community. Pretty special to hear this morning. Hoping everyone stays healthy though this stressful pandemic.
Beautiful post.

Back
Top Bottom