Heard Carpenters

I moved to Beijing about 5 months ago. The other day I was eating at a pizza place at Les Galleries Lafayette called The Crow's Nest and heard "Top of the World" play. It was such a welcomed event.

Hey stranger! I echo what Jeff said, nice to see you around the place again! :wave:

Thank you Jeff and Stephen! :). It's fall time which his normally the time I feel the urge to listen to the C's. Nothing like "Where do I go from here", etc

Yesterday at the local Publix grocery store in GA, I thought I heard a sweet and familiar voice over the loudspeaker. Low and behold, it was the Carpenters and one of my all-time favorites blasting forth - "I Won't Last a Day Without You"! Obviously, that sealed the deal with Publix firmly established as my favorite local grocer! It was so nice to hear the C's being played out in public - I'll take them anyway I can get them...

8 am, This morning, 99.7FM played:
"Goodbye To Love" in all its 1972 Glory.
After all these years, still a brilliant song.
Loved it then, love it still.

On Sunday at our local eatery, we heard Carpenters "We've Only Just Begun" followed two songs later by ABBA's "Waterloo." It was just Sirius XM's 70s channel being piped in, but still a nice change of pace.

Harry

At the supermarket where I work, I've been hearing "Yesterday Once More" in regular rotation. I was surprised to hear "I Won't Last a Day Without You" playing just the other day.

K103 here in Portland began their 5 weeks of Xmas music 24x7 yesterday. First listen heard tail end of Home For the Holidays. My 1st dip into the seasons music and I get Karen. Jell of a kickoff eh? After Tgiving I'll roll out Christmas Portrait. Wish it would hit SACD. Zowie, just imagine?

Jeff

Heard the always fantastic "We've Only Just Begun", this afternoon on 99.7FM Oldies station.
It reached its peak position #2 on the Hot 100 charts on October 30,1970--staying there 4 weeks,
kept from the top spot by Jackson 5's I'll Be There and Partridge Family's I Think I Love You.
My hat is off to the superb arrangement by Richard Carpenter--This song should've topped the charts.
(Source: Billboard Book of Number Two Hits).

Along w/ Herb Alpert & TjB's "The Christmas Song", gets played The Carpenter's "Christmas Waltz", so the latter is what I'd heard to day at work...

And while the "same TjB song" gets the annual Holidays Seasonal play, it seems as though the Carp's track is always something different...

-- Dave

here in bakersfield,ca been hearing TONS of Karen Carpenter's warm xmas voice
100.1 fm its a xmas music station right now,usually christian pop.. but like everytime i tune in , KAREN!weeeeee! so great to hear that warm loving voice on the car stereo again. i was born in79' so i never got to enjoy the carpenters on the radio, sure a few times ive heard them( heard "I believe you" once in 1995), but not like this FULL ON every hour two times an hour!.,
my best xmas whishes to you all.
Merry Christmas My Darling's

Again, 99.7FM, at 12:10 pm played Superstar, one of the later mixes.
I certainly do wonder why Hal Blaine replaced Karen on many of these studio recordings.
I Love Hal's drumming--just can't help visualizing Karen at the drums.

OK, so maybe it's TWO Carp's Christmas songs played at work, per year...

I heard "I'll Be Home For Christmas" playing tonight...

-- Dave

I’ve heard the C’s several times this season on our local oldies station, oddly though not "Merry Christmas, Darling" – yet. However, the other day I heard the piano rendering of “Carol of the Bells” by Richard. This is the first time I’ve heard a track by Richard alone. Even the announcer (DJ) said something to the effect “that was the Carpenters, not Karen here but her brother Richard”. I smiled.

Our local 80's & 90's station, the same one that actually played Carpenters hits during the 70's, goes all-Christmas for 5-6 weeks and has Carpenters on regular rotation. They've been doing this for at least 4 years, and are adding more cuts each year. I work in an office out of my home, and enjoy this for 10-12 hours each day. In addition to Merry Christmas Darling, The Christmas Song, I'll Be Home for Christmas, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Sleigh Ride, and Home for the Holidays, we're now getting The Christmas Waltz, Winter Wonderland/Silver Bells/White Christmas and Do You Hear What I Hear. How I'd love to hear Santa Claus is Coming to Town over radio airwaves again.

After making the statement last night how sad it is that we only hear their music locally during the holidays, I went to pick up a prescription at CVS. With the drive-through lane backed-up, I went in and, shockingly, heard the beginning of I Won't Last a Day Without You starting over their sound system. I wandered the aisles just to hear it in it's entirety and savor the moment....extremely rare, and oh-so sweet.

Last edited:
Just heard 'Carol Of The Bells' on Chicago's Top 40 station that plays Christmas songs between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I'm in Sydney Australia on business and was walking down Darling Harbour this morning and heard Karen's gorgeous voice booming out 'Merry Christmas Darling'. Always great! :)

Yep. We heard her tonight in Perkins Restaurant doing "Merry Christmas Darling" (1978 version). And she's all over the radio on Christmas music stations. It's a treat to hear her - and to see the word "Carpenters" scrolling across the radio's data screen.

Harry

What a joy, heard Merry Christmas, Darling a number of times yesterday.
My God, that song is brilliant. Stunning! Pick your superlative.
This song showcases (for me) everything best about the Carpenters.

Heard a first again today on our local oldies station WMJI 105.7 (are you listening, Jenny?). It was a vocal shout-out heard between the songs. It went “It’s that time of year when spirits are high and all our dreams and fantasies can come true”. Well, shiver me timbers, it was Karen! It was a small snippet from Karen’s introduction to their Christmas Portrait TV special in 1978.

To check out what I heard, listen to the first 11 seconds.

It seems to me, and this is only anecdotal, that the C’s are getting more varied play this year than in the past.

Heard 'Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas' (remix) yesterday. Sounded so good I almost went off the road. Karen soars like never before on that song. Unreal.

Back
Top Bottom