Heard Carpenters

My brother tells me they played Top Of The World in the Woolworths supermarket today (South Australia).

Quote: "A breath of fresh air".

Here is a new one to me, as far as links for music goes: https://archive.org/details/Carpenters-01-75
I had never heard the opening to Johnny Cash show before, As Karen sings the intro to Close To You, live.
Also, the unsweetened Honolulu City Lights, here.
Crescent Moon from 1969 and other tidbits.
Just thought others might be interested.

My elderly parents stopped by for a brief visit, and when seeing them off, they started their car and I heard Karen's voice. The channel they listen to on the Sirius network was actually playing "Don't Cry for Me Argentina". First time I've EVER heard that song on the radio.....NICE!!!

At 11:20 AM (EST) Top of The World was played on 99.7 Gold FM, Central Florida.
Perhaps, someone at the station read of my dismay pertaining to lack of Carpenters airplay on that station?
Well, unlikely,....but, at least they finally played them!

Again, heard Carpenters on Gold 99.7FM last night, "Sing".
The station has definitely stepped-up their Carpenters airplay!

I wonder if it has something to do with Universal Music, if they have a product to sell which they do as Singles 1969/1973 Vinyl album is being released in the next few days.
Universal could be using their influence to aid the sales push.

Listening to BBC 2 this morning ken Bruce show he played Edwin Starr and Ken made a comment about seeing him in concert " A Starr in name, Star in nature" , this got me thinking about " A star on Earth, A star in heaven" on Karens Tomb, and then unbelievably up came Karen next record ' A song for You'.
If you got the I-player have a listen to it.

Divine intervention or What? I couldn't believe it!

That's amazing, Nicko! Very cool. I also heard Karen over the weekend singing 'Top of the World' on Sirius '70's station. And the weekend before 'There's A Kind Of Hush' was played.

They are played reasonably regularly on our radio stations but this was weird coincidence or premonition of what was comin! What do you think?

Makes you wonder....maybe the DJ knew about the inscription, or possibly it was K.C. sending you a little message.

Makes you wonder....maybe the DJ knew about the inscription, or possibly it was K.C. sending you a little message.

It could well have been Ken Bruce's familiarity with Carpenters that made him schedule Karen next after that comment, he did mention after 'Song for you' that he thought it was Bob Messenger that played the sax solo so he's obviously conscious of it.

Looks as if Daystar 89.5FM (Fl/The Villages) has Karen Carpenter/Ella Fitzgerald Medley on their permanent rotation,
as I heard it today at roughly the same time (as previously).
And, as always, the DJ/announcer names the performers.
Sounds fantastic out of the car radio.

I was visiting family in Kansas City over the weekend, and I caught a syndicated show called 'The Seventies' on an oldies station there (94.9FM). The episode was focused on summer songs that reached the #2 spot. I'd only had it on for a few minutes, and I caught a phone interview with Richard C. giving the story of how 'Yesterday Once More' came be. They then played the song (reverbed remix), which was great to hear on regular radio. :)

This morning at 10:30 am (EST) "Only Yesterday" was played on Gold 99.7FM, Central Florida.
When the opening drum beat began on the car radio, I nearly drove off the road!
Chills, again, to hear that song on the radio.
Absolutely stunning vocals and arrangement.

Same time, this Sunday Morning, Carpenters' Rainy Days And Mondays, Gold 99.7FM.
DJ identifies song and artist.
This new Florida station has finally gotten Carpenters in solid rotation.

Gold 99.7FM played "Top of The World" today at 1pm, and identified artist as "Karen and Richard Carpenter".
Really cool to blast that one from the car radio at an intersection, folks thinking (and they would be right) that I'm a
bit off!
Might be my imagination, but seems to me that Carpenters are getting more airplay these days.

"Close To You" played yesterday at 1PM on Tampa's Dove (WDUV) 105.9FM.
Sounded crystal clear, and simply delightful.
My feelings toward this song are interesting (for those who care to know):
When I first heard it (sometime in 1973..I was 11 years old!) I thought it a rather 'soft' song and
really not to my tastes!
As the years progressed and I continued to listen to the song, I began to appreciate the
subtleties in the arrangement and vocal delivery.
Now, it is a favorite.

Tampa's WDUV played "Superstar", yesterday.
I was visiting my mother at her business, while it played over the radio.
Her comment: They sure play a lot of her on that radio station!
Me: Hurrah!

Back
Top Bottom