Heard Carpenters

"Make Believe It's Your First Time" (VOTH version) on Sirius XM this morning on the way to work. To me, that was an out-of-left-field song for them to play. The only other time I was as surprised is when I heard them play "You're The One." Delighted, of course, but still surprised.
which channel?

which channel?

I think it was Channel 70; the light hits channel. Seems to me the channel that plays them the most. Even the 70's channel seemed to have "forgot" that they were the fourth most successful act of that decade (they should be played as much as the Bee Gee's and Elton John). But even then, they seem to stick to the "Close to You," "We've Just Begun," "Superstar," "Rainy Day's," with a "Goodbye to Love" or "Only Yesterday" thrown in there once in a while formula. So to hear "Make Believe" was a bit surprising.

I think it was Channel 70; the light hits channel. Seems to me the channel that plays them the most. Even the 70's channel seemed to have "forgot" that they were the fourth most successful act of that decade (they should be played as much as the Bee Gee's and Elton John). But even then, they seem to stick to the "Close to You," "We've Just Begun," "Superstar," "Rainy Day's," with a "Goodbye to Love" or "Only Yesterday" thrown in there once in a while formula. So to hear "Make Believe" was a bit surprising.
Ironically, I heard For All We Know this week at a very hip - sort of gourmet burger place here in Nashville... It was in the mix with general cool updated but nice music assortment... So happy to hear what may be my favorite Carpenters track - flowing through the airwaves...

I was in the process of emailing a request to my favorite internet radio station; "San Francisco's 70s hits" to play Superstar in recognition of Karen's birthday today, when all of a sudden that beautiful voice came out of my speakers (Top Of The World). I withdrew my request. Karen's spirit must have been at work!

Superstar on Sirius XM 70's on 7, around noon today PST. Hmmm...I'm hearing more C's on this station lately - wonder if there's been a change in programming director (or whatever that person/position is called, at a station).

I hit the jackpot in the car yesterday and this morning with Sirius Channel 70! "Only Yesterday" on the way home, and "Hurting Each Other" this morning! Very nice end of one work day, and even better start to a Friday. Hope they keep the C's in "heavy rotation"!

Superstar on Sirius XM 70's on 7, around noon today PST. Hmmm...I'm hearing more C's on this station lately - wonder if there's been a change in programming director (or whatever that person/position is called, at a station).
They regularly play Carpenters songs every 3-4 hours; same with the 70"s channel.

They regularly play Carpenters songs every 3-4 hours; same with the 70"s channel.

That's great to hear; do you know if this is a recent thing? I don't listen to channel 7 "all the time", but I listen a lot - and for the longest time, it was extremely rare to hear one. They seem to have been added in to the rotation on a more regular basis, fairly frequently.

That's great to hear; do you know if this is a recent thing? I don't listen to channel 7 "all the time", but I listen a lot - and for the longest time, it was extremely rare to hear one. They seem to have been added in to the rotation on a more regular basis, fairly frequently.

I agree. It's one of only five channels I listen to regularly (and only three of those are music channels). I rarely hear Carpenters on channel 7...and when I do, it's either Close to You or Superstar. For having over a dozen hit singles in the 1970's, and being the fourth most-successful act and the THE most successful American act of that decade, one would think they'd be in as much rotation as the Bee Gees and Elton John (both of which I hear MULTIPLE times a day, if not in the same hour).

I’m sure that in 1974 the Rock Giants hated that the Carpenters outsold them. That’s probably why critics could not understand a soft pop group was outselling Rock, not just a little, but buy a lot. And these part time songwriters were even making their covers the chosen versions. Karen had the perfect voice and Richard perfected overdubbing in their arrangements that people craved to hear them in their own home system. It was a slice a heaven on earth. Even when their sales in USA started going down import sales grew! And enough time has passed that the goody image issue does not weigh on possible revivals.

Just heard a splash of Carpenters “Ticket to Ride” at the end of NPR’s Wait Wait... Don’t Tell Me!
Bluff The Listener (3/24/2018).
A good segment and a fabulous ending :)

I`ve been watching the box-set of STARSKY AND HUTCH for a couple of months, but today, decided to watch the 2004 film with ben stiller. I hadn't seen it seen it`s release and didn't realise `we`ve only just begun` was used in one of the scenes. brilliant and ben stiller had Dave Starsky down to an art :)

I`ve been watching the box-set of STARSKY AND HUTCH for a couple of months, but today, decided to watch the 2004 film with ben stiller. I hadn't seen it seen it`s release and didn't realise `we`ve only just begun` was used in one of the scenes. brilliant and ben stiller had Dave Starsky down to an art :)
Speaking of movies, I know that online it’s been reported that the Carpenters version of “Calling Occupants” made it into the X-Men movie “The Wolverine”. I’ve watched the Blu-Ray, and while the song is in the train scene (a woman is listening to it on her iPod) it is not the Carpenters version. I didn’t get a chance to see the film in theatres, but does anyone remember hearing it in theaters and maybe it was changed in the home video version because of licensing issues?

On a Jeopardy episode this week, there was a category called "R.C." all about celebrities with those initials. I was a little bummed that Richard Carpenter wasn't one of the subjects, but understood since he's not that well known by his full name.

But then later on in the episode, there was a clue about the Carps in a catergory called "Songs with Unusual Titles," which said: "This California brother and sister duo, Karen and Richard, were on top of the world when they hit the charts with Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft."

Unfortunately, none of the contestants rang in on it...sad how much great music todays young'uns are completely unaware of.

I was listening to This American Life on public radio yesterday as I was driving and the second segment of the show was titled "My Favorite Martian" and was a story about a man's father's involvement in the search for extraterrestrial life. They closed that segment and the show with the Carpenters' version of "Calling Occupants". The song begins at the 59:00 mark.

Sirius Sat 70's definitely playing more Carpenters these days.

Yesterday around 2:30pm local I heard Hurting Each Other, and today at about 4:40pm local I heard Superstar. Nice that they play them a bit more often.

I'm just listening to hour 3 of the old radio program from Wednesday, June 21, 1989 Solid Gold Scrapbook LP that I've got in my collection, and the Carpenters We've Only Just Begun closed out the "Wedding Favorites".

I was disappointed there was no mention of Carpenters on the "History of the London Paladium" on Sunday night.

Back
Top Bottom