Heard Carpenters

I like it. It says that the family with the Fiat is the one best suited to raise a family with safety? And, Karen’s voice is associated with in a heavenly fashion.

I like it. It says that the family with the Fiat is the one best suited to raise a family with safety? And, Karen’s voice is associated with in a heavenly fashion.
Plus didn’t Karen always like children? I recall in the Coleman book that a building at a stroller manufacturing company was named in Karen’s Honor.

Posted this in U.K. thread but probably should have put it here!
Just seen Saturday 30th June channel 5 in U.K. are showing @ 7pm the documentary Karen Carpenter Goodbye to Love followed by Carpenters their greatest hits.

Last night my boyfriend came home and told me he had heard "my music" on the car radio. Turned out it was the Carpenters "We've only just begun" that had been playing on Radio Nostalgia, a radio channel here on Finland that focuses on playing the oldies. Not being a fan of the mainstream music I usually like listen to that channel when we are driving around. Here's a chart that shows how when and how many times the Carpenters classic has been played this year: https://biisit.info/kappale/1027/3652/10

26 times this year already. I'm delighted there's someone on that channel that appericiates the Carpenters music.

Heard "Rainy days and Mondays" today on Radio Nostalgia as we were driving home... I dried to sing along but got choked up and couldn't sing. It has been played 25 times this year on that channel. Okay, I'm not gonna post everytime some Carpenter's song comes from the radio, but I just wanted to tell this one though.

More often than not, I hear a Carpenters song sometime between 2pm and 3pm PST, on Sat '70's on 7. Yesterday it was Superstar.

Attention Carpenters fanatics in the US: Our beloved duo will be making an appearance on the small screen today. DECADES network, The Best of Ed Sullivan. Don't miss it!

Schedule

^^So, I did catch this on TV (5:30P).
A couple of things that I noted in the "performance."
(1) Karen Carpenter absolutely was placed prominently--and, situated at the drums
for the performance of Close To You/Only Just Begun mini-medley.
Richard, at the keyboards, unfortunately had that aloof look--- as if did not want to be there.
Now, that is just the appearance on the Television screen--I'm sure he did want to be there!
The point is, even at this very early date, Richard is perceived in a minimalist stance.
Karen was glowing and beautiful, syre to steal the show--whether on the drums, or not.
(2) A couple of times, the vocal key sounded slightly higher-pitched than the recording of either song.
I wonder if this was an actually recorded 'new' vocal for this show--or, spliced from existing tracks.
Also, Karen's drumming was flawless--or, if that was not her drumming (i.e., Hal Blaine's )
she is, at this early date, an expert at "miming" that drum-performance !

They were two edited versions of the songs done for that broadcast. They were probably allotted 4 minutes and whittled down the two songs to about two minutes or less each. You could hear an odd and sudden key change in "Close To You" as a result of the edit, and the song ended abruptly with audience applause bringing it to a quick halt.

^^So, I did catch this on TV (5:30P).
A couple of things that I noted in the "performance."
(1) Karen Carpenter absolutely was placed prominently--and, situated at the drums
for the performance of Close To You/Only Just Begun mini-medley.
Richard, at the keyboards, unfortunately had that aloof look--- as if did not want to be there.
Now, that is just the appearance on the Television screen--I'm sure he did want to be there!
The point is, even at this very early date, Richard is perceived in a minimalist stance.
Karen was glowing and beautiful, syre to steal the show--whether on the drums, or not.
(2) A couple of times, the vocal key sounded slightly higher-pitched than the recording of either song.
I wonder if this was an actually recorded 'new' vocal for this show--or, spliced from existing tracks.
Also, Karen's drumming was flawless--or, if that was not her drumming (i.e., Hal Blaine's )
she is, at this early date, an expert at "miming" that drum-performance !

Was that the same performance that was on the Sullivan DVD from 03?

It was the 1970 performance:

You can hear the odd key change at 1:10. Today's shorter broadcast cut the song off at the audience applause at 1:53. Also DECADES cropped the top and bottom to make a fake widescreen picture.

It was the 1970 performance:

You can hear the odd key change at 1:10. Today's shorter broadcast cut the song off at the audience applause at 1:53. Also DECADES cropped the top and bottom to make a fake widescreen picture.

Thanks for providing the longer clip of Close To You. So, let me see if I got this...Your clip was probably from the original broadcast of the "The Ed Sullivan Show" back in 1970, but for the "The Best Of Ed Sullivan" they severely edited Close To You and threw We've Only Just Begun immediately on top of it. Could it be in the original broadcast that the Carpenters opened the show with the more lengthy Close To You and came back at the end of the show with We've Only Just Begun? It makes me wonder also if in the original broadcast Ed Sullivan waved the duo over to shake their hands or pat them on the backs like he did with virtually everybody else. That would've been a great moment.

Thanks for providing the longer clip of Close To You. So, let me see if I got this...Your clip was probably from the original broadcast of the "The Ed Sullivan Show" back in 1970, but for the "The Best Of Ed Sullivan" they severely edited Close To You and threw We've Only Just Begun immediately on top of it. Could it be in the original broadcast that the Carpenters opened the show with the more lengthy Close To You and came back at the end of the show with We've Only Just Begun? It makes me wonder also if in the original broadcast Ed Sullivan waved the duo over to shake their hands or pat them on the backs like he did with virtually everybody else. That would've been a great moment.
On the DVD Sullivan does wave them over and even kisses Karen.

Also with the DVD the broadcast mono audio has been “mixed” into 5.1. Did the Decades broadcast use a 5.1 mix or was it the original mono?

Plus on a different note, but I have on VHS (amongst Star Trek Voyager episode’s) a Broadcast Of the Close To You on the Classics program from around 1999-2000, but the intro that explains about the Carpenters is different than what is on the DVD.

on BBC Radio 2 today Michael Ball inducted Richard Carpenter into his show segement the songwriters hall of fame and played Only yesterday.
Now as I type this Paul o'Grady is playing A kind of hush.

Not quite heard, but on tonight's Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions show, in the category "Music for Champs", there was a clue about the Imaginary Dragons song On Top Of The World that referenced the the "70's hit" Top of the World.

Not quite heard, but on tonight's Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions show, in the category "Music for Champs", there was a clue about the Imaginary Dragons song On Top Of The World that referenced the the "70's hit" Top of the World.

Thanks for the heads up! Jeopardy comes on at 7pm out here, I am going to make a point to watch it. I am a sucker for anything Carpenters broadcast on television.

Thanks for the heads up! Jeopardy comes on at 7pm out here, I am going to make a point to watch it. I am a sucker for anything Carpenters broadcast on television.

As I recall, it's not on till the "Double Jeopardy!" round. But the category had other clues about other songs about being champions like Queen's 1970's hit We Are The Champions.

Sorry for the late notice; however, considering the "Seen Carpenters" thread is closed, I noticed that Richard will be on Jay Leno's garage (rerun) tonight on CNBC at 10:00 p.m. PST.

I am watching CBS Sunday morning and Petula Clark is on and the interviewer asked her about meeting Elvis backstage in Las Vegas and it was mentioned that she was with her friend Karen Carpenter. And they showed a picture of Karen from the early 1970s. Petula said that they were the two biggest pop stars of the 1970s.

I think it was Channel 70; the light hits channel. Seems to me the channel that plays them the most. Even the 70's channel seemed to have "forgot" that they were the fourth most successful act of that decade (they should be played as much as the Bee Gee's and Elton John). But even then, they seem to stick to the "Close to You," "We've Just Begun," "Superstar," "Rainy Day's," with a "Goodbye to Love" or "Only Yesterday" thrown in there once in a while formula. So to hear "Make Believe" was a bit surprising.
I heard "I Believe You" on Sirius Channel 70 on my way home yesterday. Although not one of my C's favorites, it was a nice surprise to hear a "forgotten" Carpenters' tune! I hope they keep them in decent rotation.

This last Sunday, my wife and I were down in Ventura County for a wedding. While eating lunch at a sandwich shop/pub in the Ventura Harbor Marina, they were playing MOR songs from the 70s and 80s over the sound system. As we were about to leave, I heard the opening of (They Long To Be) Close To You coming on. I told my wife "sit down, let's listen to the song". She didn't give me any grief. We sat, listened, and left. She fully understands my Carpenters obsession.

Back
Top Bottom