Heard Carpenters

Did`nt see the point of opening a thread for this, but have you guys seen this on YouTube, because until I saw this, I`d never even heard of 8D, so how long as this been around?

It's a new virtual surround sound format, which is supposed to duplicate the technology using regular 2 channel stereo headphones. Frankly, without suitable software that can simulate the depth and width of surround, it's going to be an underwhelming experience when it comes to music. With other types of audio, like ambient room noises, conversations, etc., it can make you feel like you are right in the middle of the action. I have a Now and Then Japanese Quad reel transfer to 8D audio and it sounds amazing with the right equipment, like you are right in the middle of the mix, and Karen is leaning on your shoulder singing right into your ear. The stuff on YouTube, however, is total BS.

It's a new virtual surround sound format, which is supposed to duplicate the technology using regular 2 channel stereo headphones. Frankly, without suitable software that can simulate the depth and width of surround, it's going to be an underwhelming experience when it comes to music. With other types of audio, like ambient room noises, conversations, etc., it can make you feel like you are right in the middle of the action. I have a Now and Then Japanese Quad reel transfer to 8D audio and it sounds amazing with the right equipment, like you are right in the middle of the mix, and Karen is leaning on your shoulder singing right into your ear. The stuff on YouTube, however, is total BS.
With YouTube, one thing that happens is that the sound and video gets recompressed when something is uploaded, usually to like a H.264 file with MP1 or MP3 audio. So YouTube never sounds like the original.

My first over-the-air Carpenter's Christmas song of the season! Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas on Mix 96FM out of Sacramento at 12:09pm PST while organizing my garage. Needless to say, all work was suspended while I attentively listened for the duration of Karen's lovely vocal. I don't know why I get so "giddy" when I hear them on conventional radio stations, but I do!:)

Wish we heard some over here in the uk! Perhaps we might get MCD occasionally since it’s going to be on the new album.

My goodness, on the rare occasion that I hear MCD on the radio here, it always makes me light up and warms my heart. Never fails even once.

Heard "There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)" on METV music Thursday morning on 1250 AM in Bridgeport, Michigan. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Yesterday afternoon, I went to a store, and just as I was entering MCD was starting on the sound system. It sounded beautiful. Turns out, it was the station here that plays Christmas music here, KOIT FM, from Thanksgiving through New Year non stop. I heard all kinds of classics while shopping, but I was lost on the fact that Karen was on the first song for me this season in public. Her magic again?!

I was out with my sister and nieces today helping with some holiday shopping ideas. I had given my sister a copy of Christmas Portrait during Thanksgiving and when I was in the car with them, my youngest niece (10 years old) asked to hear it. I was choked up. By the time she started singing along to Christmas Waltz, I was in tears. Turns out it's their new favorite Christmas album. There's no better feeling than that.

I was out with my sister and nieces today helping with some holiday shopping ideas. I had given my sister a copy of Christmas Portrait during Thanksgiving and when I was in the car with them, my youngest niece (10 years old) asked to hear it. I was choked up. By the time she started singing along to Christmas Waltz, I was in tears. Turns out it's their new favorite Christmas album. There's no better feeling than that.
That's awesome!!

Was in our local diner yesterday for breakfast and they had Christmas songs playing over the sound system. All of the sudden it was Karen singing "Sleigh Ride". A few booths in front of me three young girls in their twenties started to sway back in forth in tune with the music and Karen's vocals. I asked them if they knew who the singer was and one of them said they knew the singer but couldn't think of her name. I informed them it was the great Karen Carpenter the greatest female singer of all time and the best forever. One of the girls shouted "KAREN CARPENTER I KNEW IT! (even though Karen has been gone a long time before these girls were even born). Just then a man in the booth across from me turns my way and starts talking out loud agreeing with me about Karen and how he loved her voice and that she was indeed the best! He was a retired school teacher and was in his late 60's.

It was nice to hear others feel the same way about Karen Carpenter especially around Christmas time. She is not forgotten!

Yesterday while grocery shopping I was delighted to hear Karen's rendition of "I'll be Home for Christmas". Unfortunately, the sound system was turned down so low I'm probably the only shopper who noticed it. Still stopped me in my tracks, though!

I hope many of you are tuned into BBC Radio 2 now for the “A to Z of Carpenters”. It’s only 15 minutes in and Richard is on fine, confessional and funny form, revealing stuff about their recordings that even those of us who thought we knew everything didn’t! What a festive treat from Malcolm Prince and Graham Norton.

I hope many of you are tuned into BBC Radio 2 now for the “A to Z of Carpenters”. It’s only 15 minutes in and Richard is on fine, confessional and funny form, revealing stuff about their recordings that even those of us who thought we knew everything didn’t! What a festive treat from Malcolm Prince and Graham Norton.

I'm in my element here listening to it :goodie::santawave::santawave:

Back
Top Bottom