Heard Carpenters

Political commentator Bill O'Reilly on his syndicated radio commentary ("The O'Reilly Update") this morning mentioned the "Carpenters" & the single Close To You and added this comment; "Karen Carpenter in my opinion, had the best female voice ever."

It begins at 9:25:

[/URL]

When he had his TV show, he featured the Christmas Collection as the best Christmas album ever...or something similar...and, if memory serves me, said basically the same thing about Karen's voice.

Not really heard but saw Richard’s “Time” album on vinyl at a church rummage sale. It was about the only post-1978 LP in the stack (most were 60’s and 70’s orchestra compilation albums of “The Big Hits”. The only other 80’s albums I saw were The Ontario Lottery “Santa Claus Is Canadian” & “Christmas is for Children”.

In previous voting on the same site the Carpenters won by a landslide for best 70's duo and Karen easily won for most soothing female voice! She also received many favorable comments for the greatest female singer of all time (along with Whitney, Barbra, Aretha, etc) but no winner was actually selected.

Sirius XM 70’s on 7 was playing a listener voted countdown of the top 700 songs of the 70’s. I couldn’t listen all weekend long but was able to catch Carpenters tonight at #12 with “We’ve Only Just Begun.” Nice to see that the listeners voted a Carpenters tune so well!

^ Probably a good chance that "Close To You" and made it into the top 10. Would also think that "Top of the World" would be in the top 50.

Sirius XM 70’s on 7 was playing a listener voted countdown of the top 700 songs of the 70’s. I couldn’t listen all weekend long but was able to catch Carpenters tonight at #12 with “We’ve Only Just Begun.” Nice to see that the listeners voted a Carpenters tune so well!

Bohemian Rhapsody was voted #1 Song of The 70's. Carpenters made the list 11 times: (565) Please Mr. Postman, (485) Only Yesterday, (467) Hurting Each Other, (449) Goodbye To Love, (393) Yesterday Once More, (361) For All We Know, (208) Top Of The World, (108) Rainy Days & Mondays, (48) Superstar, (31) (They Long To Be) Close To You, (12) We've Only Just Begun. The only Carpenters Billboard Top Ten song that didn't make the list was Sing.

Carpenters Greatest Hits is ok ch5 U.K. now if anyone is still up!

I’ve seen it before but I’m recording it to watch again. The way they present it is nice - the same videos but with some nice factoids about the duo over each video.

Reactions: Sue
Well I was amazed to see this air on two channels again last evening! Just waiting for more now and a fresh airing of the Karen Carpenter Story as I haven’t seen it for a while!

Best thread I can think of to place this.

Found it a bit funny.

This is the opening of Richard's Wikipedia page:

"Richard Lynn Carpenter (born October 15, 1946) is an American musician, record producer, songwriter, and music arranger, who formed half of the sibling duo The Carpenters alongside his sister Karen. He has had numerous roles including record producer, arranger, pianist, keyboardist, lyricist, and composer, as well as joining with Karen on harmony vocals. He has had a minor acting career, beginning with his cameo in the Karen Carpenter Story" "

Heard "Only Yesterday" by the late Ray Conniff & The Singers (NOT The Carpenters version) on "Escape" (channel 69) on Sirius XM radio.

Back
Top Bottom