Heard Carpenters

Heard the 1971 single version ‘Rainy Days And Mondays’ on MeTV radio yesterday.

That reminded me to ask if anyone notices the distortion in the lead vocal on that track from ‘The Complete Singles’ set? It sounded perfect on the radio, by the way.

That reminded me to ask if anyone notices the distortion in the lead vocal on that track from ‘The Complete Singles’ set? It sounded perfect on the radio, by the way.
I believe the original mix of "Rainy Days and Mondays" has pretty much always had a bit of distortion in it. It's particularly noticeable just before the 2 minute mark, and then at loud vocal peaks thereafter. It's probably one of the reasons that Richard was so quick to remix that one, and so slow to finally issue it as originally recorded.

We can only guess what source MeTV radio is using. Many radio stations have custom-made CDs - or digital files these days - that they get on a subscription basis, and the source material could be from anything from needledrops of original singles to various compilations that the compilers had access to.

The original mix (also known as the single mix) has only been issued a few times on regular-issue CDs.
- The Remastered Classic of CARPENTERS
- The Japanese Single Box
- The Ultimate Collection/NL (and COLLECTED)
- The Nation's Favourite Carpenters Songs (UK)

Comparing those, I think it might sound just slightly better on the Nation's Favourite comp.

Another factor here could be the age of the tape. Richard never put this mix out in a digital form until 1999 or so. The tape was probably used for many, many LP reissues and compilations over the years and may have just worn out. I don't hear much distortion on the mono version of the single.

I believe the original mix of "Rainy Days and Mondays" has pretty much always had a bit of distortion in it. It's particularly noticeable just before the 2 minute mark, and then at loud vocal peaks thereafter. It's probably one of the reasons that Richard was so quick to remix that one, and so slow to finally issue it as originally recorded.

We can only guess what source MeTV radio is using. Many radio stations have custom-made CDs - or digital files these days - that they get on a subscription basis, and the source material could be from anything from needledrops of original singles to various compilations that the compilers had access to.

The original mix (also known as the single mix) has only been issued a few times on regular-issue CDs.
- The Remastered Classic of CARPENTERS
- The Japanese Single Box
- The Ultimate Collection/NL (and COLLECTED)
- The Nation's Favourite Carpenters Songs (UK)

Comparing those, I think it might sound just slightly better on the Nation's Favourite comp.

Another factor here could be the age of the tape. Richard never put this mix out in a digital form until 1999 or so. The tape was probably used for many, many LP reissues and compilations over the years and may have just worn out. I don't hear much distortion on the mono version of the single.
Thanks, Harry! So, I'm glad it's not just my ears. : ) Makes perfect sense. I'm sure that tape has been put through the ringer.

My friend heard ‘Top Of The World’ over the weekend at the grocery store. And I heard the same tune on satellite radio, as well.

Two weeks ago, during a ride for weekly buying groceries, on the radio came ''Yesterday Once More'' (the remix version you can find on ''From The Top''). I was surprised to hear a Carpenters song that wasn't ''Close To You'' or ''We've Only Just Begun'' over here in this country, and on a station where usually is just Spanish music. It was nice to hear it through the radio.

Heard - There's A Kind Of Hush"....the entire song while at a deli table in a travel center/convenience store in the small very remote town of Alpine, Texas today -- my new temporary home for this traveling man. I asked the table of young adults nearby to give it a listen and they did --- I asked afterward if any of them knew the singer or group - none of them did but the said they liked her voice - I told them it was Karen Carpenter of the brother sister duo Carpenters and suggested they google for more info. I think they were college kids attending Sol Ross State University here ( a small state college - where Dan Blocker a Texas native graduated the year Karen was born. Some of you may remember he played "Hoss on the TV series Bonanza.

Wrightwood Brewing Company, Wrightwood, California. Touch-Tunes Jukebox has Carpenters as one of the "top artists" played there. I love walking in and seeing that on the screen. One can often here Superstar, Only Yesterday, Ticket To Ride, Goodbye to Love, Solitaire, All You Get From Love is A Love Song, and occasionally, Where Do I Go From Here. Gee, I wonder who it is that plays those so much? :winkgrin: Since I can play them discreetly from my I-phone, it's affirming to hear, from time-to-time, comments from fellow beer drinkers when Carpenters are played. Literally, every time it's positive. In one instance, a woman was there claiming to be one of the original kids in the choir on Sing and was really excited (and drunk?) when Carpenters came on.

What I find fascinating by this, is that I don't solely play Carpenters. I play an eclectic mix of artists I like (including just as many Gordon Lightfoot tunes) BUT the only time I hear people comment about what's playing, is when it's Carpenters. No one ever comments on Gordon Lightfoot but Carpenters seem to generate a lot of "buzz."

This is kind of my version of rearraigning the CD's in the record stores to put Carpenter CD's up front (as I know some of you here have admitted doing). Does anyone else do this?

Heard Close To You this morning on a local station here. They are slowly working in 70’s pop songs. They played CTY, Don’t Stand So Close Me, and then Love Will Keep Us Together in a row. All A&M tracks. Pretty nice. They played ONJ Magic and Have You Never Been Mellow yesterday. About time! I hope they play more.

Heard "We've Only Just Begun" yesterday morning on sat radio, 70's on 7. Hearing their songs come through the radio in the car is always special. For me, I know why; when I'm playing Carpenters myself, I'm the only one I know of that is listening to them. When they are on the radio, you are aware that many thousands of other people are listening and signing along at that same time. Kinda cool.

In an outlet store in Pennsylvania. An entire playlist. I thanked the lady at the register for the great music and she said, "Yes. I love them. Nice and calming." I bought a whole bunch of stuff from her.

Ok, this one REALLY took me by surprise! I was driving today in Chicago and switched on the MeTV radio station (87.7FM), which specializes in a very deep and diverse oldies playlist. About 30 seconds after I switched it on, none other than 'Saturday' from Carpenters played in its entirety! I almost ran into a tree. LOL>> It sounded really good on the radio, too. : )

Was on holiday in Lanzarote in 2010 and booked one of those sight seeing day out excursion things... While heading back to the hotel on the minibus, Jambalaya came on the radio!

Heard "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and "Sleigh Ride" on IHeartRadio's Christmas music station the other day while baking "three chip" cookies (chocolate, butterscotch & peanut butter morsels)...I swear her rendition of HYAMLC is by far the best ever (totally impartial opinion) and rivals MCD for it's beauty and warm holiday appeal...

I participate in a weekly men's exercise class. The instructor plays background light instrumental music. I don't know whether it's from an internet channel or prerecorded or something else, but last time, the first tune was an instrumental version of Yesterday Once More. (The previous time, the first tune was Dream by the Everly Brothers from 1958.)

...I swear her rendition of HYAMLC is by far the best ever (totally impartial opinion) and rivals MCD for it's beauty and warm holiday appeal...
Karen never had a very pronounced vibrato, but then she didn't need one to enhance the beautifully resonant tonal qualities of her voice - in fact, her vibrato was often subtle and complimented other dominant nuances of her singing technique - a stronger, more dominant vibrato might have had the opposite effect of distracting from the incredible gorgeousness of her singing voice - but if you want to hear her vibrato in it's most compelling form and natural presence then listen to how she belts the lyrics "bough" and "now" both times through on HYAMLC...awesome stuff!

Heard "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and "Sleigh Ride" on IHeartRadio's Christmas music station the other day while baking "three chip" cookies (chocolate, butterscotch & peanut butter morsels)...I swear her rendition of HYAMLC is by far the best ever (totally impartial opinion) and rivals MCD for it's beauty and warm holiday appeal...
I absolutely agree.
My favorite vocal performance by anyone, ever.

I absolutely agree.
My favorite vocal performance by anyone, ever.
Great choice! I listen to this wonderful recording all year around - the only problem I have is that the recording I have is the "Christmas Collection" CD and all of the songs on there are far too heavily reverbed, and it actually does sound like she's singing in a cave or well, and I need to get a better recording - I read something here about a "West German" version of the CD that's supposed to be top quality - is it still available anywhere?

The West German CD is an exact digital representation of the original vinyl version of CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT. It's recognized on its cover insert for not having the words "Special Edition" on the top of the track listing. Discogs lists a few for sale, and they show up on eBay from time to time.

The old theory was that A&M in West Germany issued the CD in the 80s without Richard's approval and was notified to stop issuing the album. And initially it was thought to be somewhat rare, but copies continued showing up all over the place for years. It's big claim to fame is that "Ave Maria" is there without the choir.

Of course, the Special Edition is another source of most of these recordings without the added reverb, but by the time of its preparation, Richard had located the choir parts and added them to "Ave Maria" where he originally intended them to be.

Back
Top Bottom