Heard Carpenters

Hurting Each Other at #12 for the week of 3/19/1972. Casey talked about them winning the Hollywood Bowl battle of the bands and taking away 9 awards. Then being signed to RCA to make strictly instrumental recordings. A group know for their vocals. Only 2 cuts, and not released. 5 years later A&M picked them up, and now their 6th gold record in a row. Etc etc. It was nice that anyone listening whether a fan or not, be aware of that bit of Carpenters trivia, and early history. I really think Casey Kasem was a big fan, as he’s done that type of Carpenters trivia on other broadcasts in the 70’s.
Casey was a fan a friend and a neighbor of Karen.

Well, on Saturday, I was driving to the gym and at 12:00pm on the nose, I heard a promo for the MeTV FM radio station. It started with Carpenters singing, ‘Every sha la la la la, segueing into the line, ‘It’s Yesterday Once More’. Then, following that line, on comes ‘Saturday’! The whole song was played, by the way. That’s the second time I’ve heard it on that station. 'Saturday' then transitioned beautifully into 'Diamond Girl' by Seals and Crofts. Pretty trippy, to say the least.

Last edited:
Well, on Saturday, I was driving to the gym and at 12:00pm on the nose, I heard a promo for the MeTV FM radio station. It started with Carpenters singing, ‘Every sha la la la la, segueing into the line, ‘It’s Yesterday Once More’. Then, following that line, on comes ‘Saturday’! The whole song was played, by the way. That’s the second time I’ve heard it on that station. 'Saturday' then transitioned beautifully into 'Diamond Girl' by Seals and Crofts. Pretty trippy, to say the least.
Wow all if that on your drive? I’d say you were lucky 🍀 How did Saturday sound over the radio? I’ve never heard that one ever played.

Wow all if that on your drive? I’d say you were lucky 🍀 How did Saturday sound over the radio? I’ve never heard that one ever played.
It sounded great! 😁😁
The ‘Yesterday Once More’ snippet was part of a commercial for the station. They announced the station name after Karen sang the words, ‘It’s ‘Yesterday Once More’’ and then ‘Saturday’ started immediately after that. Pretty cool highlight of Carpenters.

Heard Sing on AT40 from the week of 4/21/1973 at #3, it’s peak position. This station actually played the single version of IWLADWY last week as an AT40 extra. It hadn’t made the charts yet as of that week in 1974. They are an oldies station, but I’ve never heard any Carpenters played on it, except for AT40 70’s rebroadcasts on Saturday mornings. Better than nothing though. Casey said it went from 10-7-5-3…😎

4/21/73 was the actual date I saw Carpenters in Kansas City, Mo., for the one and only time. Richard announced ‘Sing’ as their latest single before the local kids choir came up. They were fourth graders (as I was at the time) and I was very jealous. 🤣😂

A twofer in 2022!

This past Saturday, I was having a hibachi lunch at a chain restaurant called Kyoto. I first noticed a couple of pop 80s songs being played. And then I heard Close to You, followed by Yesterday Once More: two back-to-back Carpenters' songs! I was blown away! Then came a Frank Sinatra tune. Fly ME to the moon!

In the little town of Ely, Nevada, in small but quite nice bar and grill known as "Racks" (popular with hunters, but there's also a double-entandre to the name if you catch my drift), Rainy Days and Monday's played loud and clear while I ate my flatbread and drank my beer.

While eating dinner on Saturday night at an upscale steakhouse in Santa Clarita, Ca., there was an older gentleman playing piano in the bar area. The food was great, and so was the music. He played an Abba medley, and other 70’s and 80’s hits. I gave him $5.00 in his tip jar, and asked for a Carpenters tune. He had to think a minute while I suggested their biggest hits. He said I’m a big Burt Bacharach fan, so I’ll play Close To You. He did an excellent job, and most everyone in the packed bar and table seating there, clapped when he was done.
Made the meal even better. Lassen’s Steakhouse, can be recommended for a fine dining experience. $$$

On this weekend's broadcast of AT 40 from October 1979, Casey answered a listener's question on which American musical act was the best in the decade. He stated that the Jackson 5/ Jacksons came in at #3, Stevie Wonder at #2, and Carpenters at #1. He also said that it was a very "close race" between them for the top spot.

Heard Ave Maria, choir version, on SiriusXM new Christmas Channel called 70’s/‘80’s Holidays. They did an A&M block that followed with Christmas songs by Brian Adams and Squeeze that I’ve not heard before. They have played several I’m not familiar with, including a nice George Harrison tune.

Then, Do You Hear What I Hear, so about 1 Carpenters song an hour. 🎅🏻
That is one of my favorites. There are so few traditional versions heard of this song these days and that version is among the best. Karen sounds at her best with impeccable phrasing and distinct clarity with ease with an inviting enveloping soul searching celebratory party as her velvet tone delivers the song. With the arrangement each verse builds into triumph and Karen matches it’s flow. I simply cannot fully compliment how wonderful this song feels to me.

Back
Top Bottom