Heard Herb

Went to the same place again, yesterday...: GORMET GARDENS Famoyus Chinese Cusine, only this time, NO HERB...!!! ('Cept the HERBS in my dish: Hot 'N' Spicy Triple Delight; Chicken, Beef & Shrimp)... And got the $1.98 Potato Pancake! :D

This time, only played "traditional Chinese Music"... --Oh, well... :|

Dave

The song: "A Taste Of Honey"

The place: RAM'S HORN Family Restaraunt, Madison Heights, MI

The time: I forgot...; :shrug: --followed by The Youngblood's "Get Together", Tommy Roe's "Dizzy", and "Ray Charles "What'd I Say?!"... I actually heard "I Wonder What She's Doin' Tonight" BEFORE it, and I wasn't sure if it WAS by Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart or "someone else's" version...

The meal: I ordered the Grilled Talapia Fish Platter w/ Mashed Potatoes & Corn and a Side of Three Breaded Shrimp, as well as a cup of Cream Of Brocolli Soup; The Wife just had the Corned Beef Sandwich on Rye...

Dave

Yesterday in Half Price books in Montgomery, Ohio, they were playing The Lonely Bull ALBUM in the store. When I heard the title cut being played I was pleasantly surprised. But when I heard it followed up by "El Lobo" I was realy surprised! At check-out I made sure to comment on the Herb Alpert album that was playing. The clerk kind of rolled his eyes and seemed to be annoyed with it playing, but another of the clerks said it was good music to work by.

Herb's remix of Whipped Cream being played in a trendy restaurant in Athens, GA, just outside the University of Georgia campus...

I didn't hear any Herb this evening, but was rather surprised at two songs I DID hear, in rather close proximity to each other. One was Carpenters' "We've Only Just Begun". Two songs later, this restaurant music system played Swing Out Sister's "Better Make It Better."

Harry

XM is doing their "complete history of pop music" right now. They play virtually every song that ever hit the pop charts, in chronological order, from the 1940s through the 1990s. Today they were in 1979 so Herb's "Rise" was played. "Rotation" should come up sometime tomorrow.

I'm not sure how "deep" into the charts the program goes, but "Beyond" (possibly) and "Diamonds" (definitely) will be coming up in the next few days.

XM83 played the single edit of "Rise" today, which is rare--they usually play the album versions or extended remixes on this channel (which is a 70s/80s dance channel).

I didn't realize "It" was playing on XM. I guess I'll have to tune in XM8 to hear it tomorrow.

I have AOL Radio and heard "Rotation" on the '70s Channel a few nights ago. Every so often, the regular oldies station will play "The Lonely Bull" or "A Taste Of Honey", WQCD will play "Rise" once in a while, but this is the first time I've heard "Rotation" on satellite or any radio format.

Just hit me, where I first "Heard RISE"...:

'Least once "Rise"--And HERB--were finally First-Recognized by me, and that was waaaayyyy back, years ago, at some restartaunt where a guy there punched it out on a Jukebox... It was at some Pizza Parlor with a Bar, which unfortunately no-longer exists... (Some guy there at the bar was even totally drunk and to his friends that brought him there kept acting obnoxious and saying "obscenities" and other dumb things at them, just for "laughs" from his buddies he was with...) :rolleyes:

Followed the same Time-Honored Tradition, since; if I saw "Herb Alpert, RISE" on any Jukebox, then I naturally punched out the letter/number combination, too...

Nowadays, while Jukeboxes are Loaded with the ENTIRE CD available for play, there is nothing in there that can even NEARLY approximate any "Heard Herb" moment, 'til ANY of his Reissues, including Rise, ever go in even ONE that I ever see...

Dave

--...At the KROGER Supermarket as I was approaching the "Self-Checkout Scanner" after purchasing the Groceries which I plum forgot to get yesterday, when I didn't hear Herb...!

--The Song? "Sleigh Ride", from Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Christmas Album (A&M SP 4166), of course!

Jo, Jo, Jo!!! :bigsanta:

Dave

This is actually a "saw Herb". While eating at the local Friday's near work (they've just redecorated), I spotted this wall of old album covers. Guess who's prominently featured in the middle of it all:

Pic011.jpg

I snapped this picture with my crappy camera phone, but you get the idea!

Harry

And of course fellow A&M'er Peter Frampton nearby.

Too bad they covered up part of the BOTB title!

Harry said:
This is actually a "saw Herb". While eating at the local Friday's near work (they've just redecorated), I spotted this wall of old album covers. Guess who's prominently featured in the middle of it all:

Crystal Gayle?

:D

I was listening to NPR radio this morning, it was some political talk show, and when they cut to a commercial about how to listen to NPR 24X7 on satellite radio they started playing “Happy Hanna”. I thought my mind might be playing tricks on me, so as soon as I got to work (it’s Monday, here in Japan) I broke out my Herb Alpert – Hugh Masekela CD and listened to make sure of what I heard. No doubt, that’s it! “Happy Hanna”.

Mike

Mike Blakesley said:
And of course fellow A&M'er Peter Frampton nearby.

I'll pass--too much ring wear. :D

I'm hearing "Rise" (single edit) every so often on XM 70s.

"The Piano Man" at the last place I ate at yesterday actually played "Close To You"... So that's a "Herb Song" from his Lost Treasures... I should'a tipped him...! :wink:

Dave

Heard Herb singing THIS GUY'S IN LOVE WITH YOU and the Carpenters' CLOSE TO YOU over the muzak at the local Golden Corrall last Sunday.

Dan

While in our local Wendy's this past week I heard the re-whipped version of "A Taste of Honey" on their music system.

Heard about 20 seconds of "Rotation" running behind a sponsorship message on "Marketplace Morning Report" this morning at 6:55 on local NPR affiliate KUT.

Mike

There is a What Now My Love album on the wall of our local Friday's also here in New York!!

"Rise" and "Rotation" played yesterday on XM 7. I wish they'd play "Beyond" except I guess that was in '80, wasn't it.

Yes, my wife and I had her Tigers Baseball on the car radio and I heard "Zorba The Greek" playing during the Tigers VS. Tampa Bay Devil Rays game... (Score currently Tampa Bay, 9; Detroit, 2) :o

I think the batter was trying to "walk" the pitcher... Never thought a song I don't care for during the climax which I also don't care for could sound so good...! :laugh:

Dave

Back
Top Bottom