Heard Herb

In the Publix supermarket. Heard three notes and knew it was Herb. It was "Diamonds".

Promptly ruined by the followup by the overrated foghorn, Rod Stewart.

In the Publix supermarket. Heard three notes and knew it was Herb. It was "Diamonds".

Promptly ruined by the followup by the overrated foghorn, Rod Stewart.
They love Rod Stewart... And they love Taylor Swift too.
As for Herb, I remember hearing Rise in Publix a couple of years ago (2017), but now only Diamonds. Oh, well...

Sadly most stores in my area either play only the top 40 radio stations in town or on satellite radio or Nothing at all.

While eating out, I'm hearing "Diamonds" by Herb Alpert and Janet Jackson. Sounds like the album version. Must be an 80s channel. We also heard Amy Grant's "Baby, Baby."

At the theatre we are currently playing some older movies since there aren't any new ones being released. We just finished running "Shrek" which has a hilarious Herb-music cameo, featuring "Whipped Cream" in a parody of the famous Dating Game bachelorette-introduction sequence.

Heard Herb & The Tijuana Brass "The Shadow Of Your Smile" (from 1966 "What Now My Love") on channel 69 "Escape" channel on SiriusXM at 7:50 last night.

I was listening to The Howard Stern Show this morning on channel 103 on SiriusXM which was a rerun back in 2006 when Howard played a snippet of "Sleigh Ride"!!!

I did not realize that the Sirius XM 60s channel plays some of Herb’s music. Heard “A Taste of Honey” on the way home and it made my afternoon!

I did not realize that the Sirius XM 60s channel plays some of Herb’s music. Heard “A Taste of Honey” on the way home and it made my afternoon!
They would occasionally play something from Herb back when XM Radio was still around. I think it was "Tijuana Taxi." What was also interesting was hearing some of the originals of tunes that Herb covered, like "Lemon Tree" by Trini Lopez, or "Lady Godiva." It's one of those double-takes where you go, "Hey, wait a minute...I think I know this song!"

That happened to me with the 50s channel. A song I'd never heard before came on, Roy Hamilton's "Don't Let Go." Had never heard it before in my life, yet there I was, knowing all the lyrics. It finally occurred to me that it was the original version of the tune that Isaac Hayes covered, which was a big hit in the dance clubs and on local radio. (And I like both versions equally, now that I have both.)

I too heard "A Taste Of Honey" on a Sirius feed in a diner I was eating at yesterday. I think it was 60s at 6 as the diner has one of those 60s things going on in the decor.

Heard 'Green Peppers' on MeTV Radio over the weekend. The DJ did a nice little capsule on the 'Whipped Cream and Other Delights' LP and remarked on its iconic music and cover.

Solo I most frequently listen to as whole albums are: Rise, Beyond, BYOH, Fandango, Second Wind, Catch the Wind, Steppin Out

I like most of Magic Man, the first solo I bought on cd (Sam Goody, Penn Station NYC area!). I’ll play snippets of KYEOM, NoSoSt. My Abstract Heart.

Rarely if ever play at all: Under a Spanish Moon, Midnight Sun, Colors,

I do not own Just You and Me, so I cannot play it.

The song Route 101 is played at the beginning of a TV program called Route 101, which is transmitted on Channel 34 (from Mexico)
Several years ago, my spouse (generally not a fan) and I were driving btw LA and SF on the Route 101 and I put Route 101 on to play. Turns out she likes the tune and asked me to repeat on our drive north.

(that was after we had visited Vibrato one evening, which we much enjoyed - saw Jimmy Vivino play there).

Saturday, 17JUN1967 was the second day of the Monterey Pop Festival. While Jerry was in Monterey, Herb was up in San Francisco attending The Kingston Trio's farewell concert at the Hungry i. Go to 4:37 to hear John Stewart single out Herb in the audience.

Here's a slightly different "Heard Herb" for you.
I was watching an episode of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In from 1968 (still funny!), and one of the jokes from "the party" segment featured Larry Hovis dressed as an affluent Texan delivering the following gag: "Yesterday I bought a new car. Today I bought a new horn for it --- Herb Alpert!"

Another trip out in the car yesterday had me listening again to that AM station (WONN, 1230 AM, Lakeland, FL) and they played "Rise" by Herb Alpert. It was the single edit.

I was watching the movie The Holdovers last night and during a Christmas party scene, Herb's Jingle Bells can be heard in the background. The timing was right. The movie takes place at the end of 1970. By the way, as much as I like Paul Giamatti, I thought the movie was terrible. Two hours and thirteen minutes of sorrow.

Back
Top Bottom