Heard Herb

"Zorba" has been played a lot in the World Series, especially at the Texas Ranger's ballpark. It seems to have been working for the Rangers, who lead the Cards 3 games to 2.

Herb Alpert's "The Christmas Song" was what was easily catching my ear, as we've switched to playing Christmas music at my store...

-- Dave

We spent the weekend in San Antonio and on our way back yesterday morning we stopped at a Denny's for breakfast - and heard "Jingle Bell Rock" by the TJB as we waited for our food.

We heard "Jingle Bell Rock" while looking for something in Home Depot the other day.

Harry

What, nobody has heard any Herb since last Christmastime?! :)

We were at the Rocky Mountain Regional Theatre Convention last week, and we had an advance screening of the new Disney movie, "Frankenweenie." The film has a short (maybe 20 seconds) clip of "Green Peppers" playing on a radio in the background during the movie. As always, it's fun to hear the TJB in unexpected places and this was definitely one of the most unusual places...a black-and-white 3-D stop-motion Disney animated film directed by Tim Burton!

Mike Blakesley said:
What, nobody has heard any Herb since last Christmastime?! :)

With XM Radio destroyed by Sirius and stores playing only 80s music or top 40 crap...no. :wink:

I think I heard "Rise" sometime this past year on a restaurant music system, but neglected to mention it here. There must've been something more pressing going on.

Harry

Like, eating & drinking? :coffee:

Only Herb that I've even heard recently playing would be 'Zorba The Greek' underscoring a certain player's move during a Tigers baseball game, on radio or TV... (Although more audible on the former...)

-- Dave

I hadn't mentioned this before and it's not Herb, but related......when we were in Epcot last year, we ate dinner at the restaurant in the Mexico pavilion. I heard this familiar melody wafting softly over the music system and couldn't quite place it, when finally it hit me -- it was "Good Morning Mr. Sunshine," played by some unidentifiable mariachi-sounding group. (Herb's version is on The Brass Are Comin' for anyone who is going "what album is THAT on?")

I havent heard any alpert or tjb on the radio where i live in years i am a radio dj myself and i do a four hour weekly show ive been doing off &on 16years and they have many of herbs solo and tjb lps and ive been continuing to play them on my shows all the time since nobody else on the radio here seems to care enough to keep this in the spotlight well as j.t once said thats why im here and they have five lani hall lps too and i try to play herb and lani back to back because they belong together as in life so in music

I haven't heard Herb anywhere except for when I play him. However, Mrs. Bill and I smelled herb when we walked past a reggae club on our way to dinner last Friday...

I heard "Rise" on Sirius XM Watercolors over the weekend. Surprised to hear the full album version of the song on radio.

There used to be a wonderful station in the Philadelphia area, WHAT that played alot of HERB (solo efforts) along with the TJB songs on their radio station. That station had a 60's to 80's format that was wonderful. Unfortunately the station got sold last year to a Latino concern & now is strickly a talk format. How sad.

That station actually grew out of the ashes of the station I used to work for. WPEN-AM was the "Station Of The Stars" for years throughout much of the '80s and '90s, and had a hefty audience that, by nature, skewed old. After WPEN switched to a different oldise format and then sports talk, many of the former DJs migrated over to WHAT which had been doing a "Martini" format, playing a lot of Sinatra, Tony Bennett, etc., and the WHAT format expanded into more of what the old WPEN had been doing.

But as you say, it wasn't a moneymaker and the owners were forced to sell. It's tough to do that kind of radio in today's environment, let alone with the poor signal that WHAT had/has.

Harry

I know this radio scenario all too well. Here in the pacific northwest you could find at least on station in every region that played prdominatly instrumental music ( including many a&m artists Herb alpert t.j.b &solo BMB and others ) mixed with light adult contemporary vocals and jazz from the 60s to the 90s. And as a disc jockey on a small college owned free form station that prides itself on musical diversity as i mentioned previously ive been trying to keep all these wonderful sounds alive especially the classic a&m artists for the last 16 + years and im discovering theres a new generation of people who previousl were unfamiliar with Herb alpert. Lani hall.and even the Baja marimba band. Chuck mangione etc who are hearing these artists for the first time i like to think im educating the younger folks and introducing them to a musical world far beyond the current top 40 hits and other formats.

I've wanted to reboot my pirate radio setup, but I can't get my low powered transmitter to work. Might need a new one. :D I'd love to stream a station online but paying broadcast rights can be expensive.

I have a suggestion
I've wanted to reboot my pirate radio setup, but I can't get my low powered transmitter to work. Might need a new one. :D I'd love to stream a station online but paying broadcast rights can be expensive.
I have a suggestion rudy. I have a little similar setup myself except ive been using the c. Crane s low power transmitter for the last ten years ive used many devices like that since i was 17 and at least my signal reaches my apt bulding and the big parking lot as one of my friends joked i was " top rated in my alley" lol and i found these devices are the next best thing to owning your own station. I wish you the best of luck in your situation rudy.

The transmitter I had came from Ramsey Electronics. I'd get a digitally synthesized transmitter next time. If I get the linear amplifier, I could boost power to 1 watt...definitely not legal. :D

Heard about five seconds of "Lemon Tree" yesterday as the close-out of an NPR story on the drive home. The end of the piano/guitar bridge and into the trumpets taking up the final melody. I was so surprised I can't remember now what the news story was.

=Mike A.

Last night we attended thenightly showing of FANTASMIC, the live water spectacular that concludes the day at Disney's Hollywood Studios. As the 5,000 or so guests fill in the amphitheater, they have some mild entertainment to keep the crowd engaged. One of the segments was a little trivia game-show segment - and one of the music cues used was Herb's "Spanish Flea".

So around 5000 people got to hear a little Tijuana Brass.

Harry

I remember when the tjb tunes were used as music cues on game shows. (the dating game for one example) that was always a sure fire way to introduce Herb alpert's tijuana brass to the public at large. I may have been a little kid at the time but i never forgot what i saw and heard as well as enjoyed. And i still do.

The syndicated "Music Of Your Life" occasionally plays TJB hits like Whipped Cream and Tijuana Taxi, along with some Sergio Mendes, Carpenters of course, Rita Coolidge and other A & Mers. Unfortunately in my area, the local affiliate, which recently moved into new "hi-tech" studios along with its 5 stablemates; is transmitting only half a stereo signal over AM! (That's AM, not A & M...)

Just heard Herb on the TV show "King Of Queens" on TVLand tonight. It was an episode called "Tube Stakes", where Jerry Stiller plays "Tijuana Taxi" and does a dance with it.

Capt. Bacardi

Every other Saturday I work at our store by myself and I always take my iPod in and put it on shuffle mode to provide background music. (The rest of the time, we use XM radio.) This way I'm assured that I will like all of the songs played.

What's really kind of funny is, the first time during the day I hear some TJB or Sergio Mendes, I always have a quick thought of "Wow, can't believe XM is playing THIS!" and then I realize I'm listening to the iPod.

I've gotten some quizzical looks from customers when something like "Pomba Gira" comes out of the speakers!

In a totally unexpected development, a nice segment of Herb's "Jingle Bells" pops up about an hour into the new movie "IRON MAN 3." I can't say what's happening in the movie at the time (I'm just hearing the movie in the background right now) but that was cool to hear.

Back
Top Bottom