Heard Herb

In a totally unexpected development, a nice segment of Herb's "Jingle Bells" pops up about an hour into the new movie "IRON MAN 3." I can't say what's happening in the movie at the time (I'm just hearing the movie in the background right now) but that was cool to hear.
It was during the swimsuit competition. I did watch the credits and saw that Herb and The Brass get credited with the song.

"The Christmas Song" is back in rotation again, at my store!

And heard it at the right time, mimicking Alpert's trumpet solo under the speaker, just for someone to come along & see me, so I shouted out: "Hey, c'mon! It's Herbie!!!!" :santawave:

-- Dave

Was in a mall seeing an optometrist and while I was waiting I realized they were playing the Steppin' Out album over the sound system. They had a mix of smooth jazz stuff playing.

BTW, guess who has to get bi-focals......:baah:

Capt. Bacardi

Was in a mall seeing an optometrist and while I was waiting I realized they were playing the Steppin' Out album over the sound system. They had a mix of smooth jazz stuff playing.

BTW, guess who has to get bi-focals......:baah:

Capt. Bacardi

Maybe Rudy can set up the forum so the upper half is normal sized and the lower half has
really big print. That way you wouldn't need bifocals... :)

Harry

We were flying to Maui for our wedding on one of the new 737's by American Airlines. They had some neat gadgets, such as a mini-entertainment screen on the back of each seat. There were several music selections to listen to, one of them being the Steppin' Out album, which I listened to. Too bad we had those crappy ear plugs they hand out, but I still was able to listen to Herb before falling asleep.

Capt. Bacardi

We were flying to Maui for our wedding on one of the new 737's by American Airlines. They had some neat gadgets, such as a mini-entertainment screen on the back of each seat. There were several music selections to listen to, one of them being the Steppin' Out album, which I listened to. Too bad we had those crappy ear plugs they hand out, but I still was able to listen to Herb before falling asleep.

Capt. Bacardi

I always carry "real" headphones on planes - and usually it's my Sony Noise-cancelling headphones to cut out some of the roar. I can't stand those cheapy headphones they pass out. In recent years, I'd pretty much given up on the airlines' in-flight entertainment, but every now and then something interesting will pop up.

Harry

Heard the long version of "Rise" when I was at Culver's Restaurant in Midland, MI. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Saw Herb: While watching THE TEN COMMANDMENTS on Blu-ray we spotted Herb as Moses enters the palace. Herb can be seen banging on a drum on the right side of the entrance way, closest to the door.

I've watched that movie many times and am not sure I'd ever really seen him, but in the Blu-ray, it's quite obvious.

Harry

Saw Herb: ...am not sure I'd ever really seen him, but in the Blu-ray, it's quite obvious.

That's because on traditional TV (which is not wide screen) he is cropped out being so far to the right side of the screen. SO aside from seeing it at a revival/arts theatre or on the letterboxed laserdisc, he was more or less unseen until HDTV and widescreen formats became the norm.

--Mr Bill
who needs to pop in here more frequently...

Last Sunday afternoon I turned on my TV and immediately saw Herb! :yikes:

Turns out, I had stumbled onto "Burt Bacharach's Best", a special airing on my local PBS outlet. It featured Herb singing "This Guy", with video clips from his "Beat of the Brass" TV special as well as the later "Make Your Own Kind of Music" TV series.

Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised to say the least!

John

Heard Herb's new "Puttin' On The Ritz" about 7 am today on "America's Best Music" over WKLK-AM, Cloquet, MN. The DJ (who?) referred to Mr. A. as "the coolest of the cool."

Heard "Whipped Cream" playing in a pizza shop in the Milwaukee airport as we await our flight home.

Harry

Heard Herb today (and I think last month, or a few weeks ago) and it was his In The Mood...!

Someone at Melodies & Memories on Gratiot in Eastpoint, must love Herbie, if I'd heard his older stuff play--and today, his latest...!

As for the place I'd gone to a few weeks ago (I was looking for Pat Boone's latest CD, a Gospel/Contemporary Christian album, Legacy recorded right in his 80th year! I found it last week, at FYE...) had Herb & Lani's latest as well--though while it was over the speakers, I didn't see it in the bin! (Though Anything Goes was there...) However, it being new and latest, maybe there was simply a display that I'd over-looked; I was at Barnes & Nobel...

-- Dave

I wanted to break out on the empty sales floor (as the transition from Black Friday stuff to the regular, more seasonal Christmas merchandise came in) and really sing and blow along w/ "The Christmas Song" but luckily I was interrupted...

As I've said, the Carps songs see to change year to year or be at least two or three, but the one Herb remains the same! :santawave:

-- Dave

I heard Herb's "The Girl From Ipanema" as I was watching my boxed sets of "SCTV." It was used on their talk show parody "Just for Fun" when the female co-host came out announce the show's guests and when she left. You only hear a little bit of it, but it's there! :)

While we were out eating in a local diner, we heard Herb's "Rise" on the music system. It was turned way down, just enough that one might be able to identify a song when the clanking of plates and glasses would subside for a minute. At first I wasn't sure - the opening loud chord is what I thought I heard first. Then silence, since this music system had little or no bass to it. Knowing how long the opening rhythm part is, I allowed the proper length of time, knowing that if it was indeed Herb's "Rise", his trumpet would pierce through the noise eventually. And right on schedule - there it was.

It served as a reminder that I haven't listened to much Herb solo material lately, other than the Montreux DVD.

Harry
...just trying to start a little conversation around here, online...
I heard Herb (Jingle bell rock)while in staples Christmas Eve buying a last minute gift for my wife! First time in a long time I heard Herb anywhere but on my cd's and iPod !!

Last Sunday afternoon I turned on my TV and immediately saw Herb! :yikes:

Turns out, I had stumbled onto "Burt Bacharach's Best", a special airing on my local PBS outlet. It featured Herb singing "This Guy", with video clips from his "Beat of the Brass" TV special as well as the later "Make Your Own Kind of Music" TV series.

Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised to say the least!

John

That happened to me last week. As we were getting ready to retire for the evening, I happened upon that same Bacharach show on PBS. Just as the channel came on, Herb began singing from the MAKE YOUR OWN KIND OF MUSIC show. Nice to see that clip in really good quality.

Harry

We were recently away in the Niagara Falls/Buffalo area. On our final day there, we had spent the night at a Buffalo airport hotel and were driving around looking for a quick bite to eat. We had the rental car radio tuned to a WECK. Their slogan is "Timeless". And on popped Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass with "Whipped Cream". Strangely, at that moment we were right next to a shopping center that had a Goodwill store. I noted that they likely have a bunch of copies of the WHIPPED CREAM AND OTHER DELIGHTS album in there.

Just down the road, before the song finished, was a Barnes & Noble, and they also have been recently known to be carrying the latest incarnations of WHIPPED CREAM AND OTHER DELIGHTS.

We were recently away in the Niagara Falls/Buffalo area. On our final day there, we had spent the night at a Buffalo airport hotel and were driving around looking for a quick bite to eat. We had the rental car radio tuned to a WECK. Their slogan is "Timeless". And on popped Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass with "Whipped Cream". Strangely, at that moment we were right next to a shopping center that had a Goodwill store. I noted that they likely have a bunch of copies of the WHIPPED CREAM AND OTHER DELIGHTS album in there.

Just down the road, before the song finished, was a Barnes & Noble, and they also have been recently known to be carrying the latest incarnations of WHIPPED CREAM AND OTHER DELIGHTS.
It just goes to prove Herb's music is still out there being played except today its in a "Disguised way" and you have to catch it.

yesterday when i was walking around in the city i heard from a resturant called PALLACE and they played TIJUANA TAXI
and now im sitting and listening on BEYOND on vinyl:)

"Bittersweet Samba" came up on my salsa/mambo Pandora channel.

"My Favorite Things" by The TjB played in a restaurant, preceded two songs earlier by Carpenters "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas".

Back
Top Bottom