Heard Merry Christmas Darling 1970 Version

Jack A.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

I just heard “Merry Christmas Darling” on the radio today. I’m not too familiar with the differences between the different versions, but from the way Karen’s vocal sounded, it sounded to me like it was the original 1970 version. That surprised me, because I think in general they would play the 1978 version on the radio, if they are pulling songs directly from the Christmas Portrait album. I don’t know if anyone else has ever heard the original version on the radio, but I just thought that was interesting.

That's great to hear if the original one was played. Karen's voice was (as Richard always describes it ) "huskier" when she first recorded MCD. It's well-known among fandom that Karen wasn't satisfied with her take on the original and so re-recorded it later. I like the original but I also like her new vocals as well and how she sang it live. Listen to both original and '78 mixes one after the other and you'll be able to hear the differences, but it sounds like you're able to tell what the differences are already.

Sirius Radio has been playing it on all their Christmas stations the last couple of weeks. There are about 8 of them. On the Top 25 Christmas songs station, it was #11, I believe. The a disc jockey/announcer, told how the song was written, and how it came to be. He talked about Karen’s voice. So sweet and innocent. Then said it was the original 1970 recording, not the remix. That’s the only version I’ve heard them play since then.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

I just heard “Merry Christmas Darling” on the radio today. I’m not too familiar with the differences between the different versions, but from the way Karen’s vocal sounded, it sounded to me like it was the original 1970 version. That surprised me, because I think in general they would play the 1978 version on the radio, if they are pulling songs directly from the Christmas Portrait album. I don’t know if anyone else has ever heard the original version on the radio, but I just thought that was interesting.
Me too. Holiday Traditions on Sirius XM was playing a top 25 Chrismas Vocalists list. MCD was number 3 and the DJ specifically called out that he was playing the original release from ‘70.

Back
Top Bottom