Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpertfan

:) Hi! I'm new to this forum. I've tried a few times to get into it because I am a Herb Alpert/TJB fan. I'm 21 years old, and I have been hearing the music of Herb Alpert since I was 2. My father bought all his albums in the early 1980s on their original vinyl, and had bought the Tijuana Brass LPs when he was a kid in the '60s. He still has all those records today.
Herb Alpert was one of the first musicians I heard growing up. Hearing those records from the '80s played over and over again made me appreciate the music, and now I am a fan, as is my dad. Like many people who grew up with the Tijuana Brass, I too, am on a search for CDs. Hearing my dad's scratchy records is okay, but I think those great albums need to meet with digital technology.
I notice the site www.gemm.com is advertised here. I came across it myself as a link from the Official A&M Records Page. The asking prizes are high, but the CDs are those you thought you'd never see again.

Anywho...just wanted to introduce myself, and say it's great to have forums like these with your favorite musicians. Now if Rick Braun's site only had a forum...

Welcome to the Forum! It's always good to hear about how Herb Alpert, the Tijuana Brass and other A&M recording artists have shaped our lives.Most of the TJB catalogue has made it to the CD era, but there are a few albums that haven't as yet...THE BRASS ARE COMIN', SUMMERTIME, YOU SMILE, THE SONG BEGINS and CONEY ISLAND are the holdouts. Maybe someday, but not in the near future....we'll all have a big party when these are rereleased. Rumors abound, but as yet, no soap.

Gemm is actually a kind of "go-between" between the consumer and a lot of different outlets that have a certain album for sale. The price varies widely, as does the quality of merchandise and the ability of the individual outlet to be able to actually fill the order. If there's only one copy available, you might not have as good a chance of actually being able to get the item...I haven't had much experience with Gemm, so I can't really comment on service. They DO seem to have a lot of rare items that you can't find elsewhere, but those are the pricey ones...

Another place to try is Dusty Groove...they are an excellent source for the Sergio Mendes/Brasil 66 rereleases, as well as a lot of other stuff you thought was lost forever...I KNOW Bacardi had a problem with some damaged stuff, but I hear he's going to try to sell his damaged discs as "CD Seeds" on Ebay[just add water]... :laugh:

Maybe after Herb sees how well the SM/B66 reissues do, he'll finally relent and get on the bandwagon :rolleyes: .....at least for now, we cn hear his wife sing again... :)

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom