Help understanding lyric

Martin Medrano

Hello all, i need some help in understanding what it is that marvin gaye is singing in the song come live with me angel at 1:19 i beleive he sings i love you and there is another word i can't quite make out. All help is greatly appreciated

I have but it does not show. What i hear is i love you, the word that's after that i can't make out.
There is no “I love you” at that point in the song. What I think you’re hearing is Marvin, multitracked, acting as his own backup singers, singing “I want to be your lover”.

I'd never heard the song before so I just went and listened to the part in question about two dozen times at increasing volume, and I can't hear "I want to be your lover" anywhere in there.

To me in the main vocal line where he says "so, come live with me....angel;" behind that, right after the word "so," it does sound like he kind of mumbles "I love....." but I don't hear a "you" anywhere. The word "to" seems to be in there, right after "come." It's definitely a complicated conglomeration of words in there.

Maybe Harry will have a moment to check this out.... he has a sharp ear (and good headphones!)

I gave it a listen and it all sounds like a muddy mess of Marvin's own main vocal overtop of some under-dubbed backing vocals. It reminds me of a number of Richard Carpenter's extra vocals underneath Karen's main track where to this day I don't know what he's singing.

Sorry - and I used the good headphones!

I'd never heard the song before so I just went and listened to the part in question about two dozen times at increasing volume, and I can't hear "I want to be your lover" anywhere in there.

To me in the main vocal line where he says "so, come live with me....angel;" behind that, right after the word "so," it does sound like he kind of mumbles "I love....." but I don't hear a "you" anywhere. The word "to" seems to be in there, right after "come." It's definitely a complicated conglomeration of words in there.
It’s there. I have good headphones too, and the line “I want to be your lover” falls exactly where the lyric sheet suggests. Also, Apple Music can show you the lyrics, karaoke-style, as you listen. Both check out.

That said, it ain’t easy or clear.

I went into audacity and i can hear I'd like to fix you up. Here's how i did it. Go into effects and choose remove vocals.

Back
Top Bottom