1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. The new Herb Alpert remasters are now available for download from Amazon and iTunes, and high-res versions are available from Acoustic Sounds and HDTracks. Some of these albums are seeing their first-ever release digitally. Check them out today!

Herb album cover on Vinylalbumcovers

Discussion in 'The Beat of The Brass: Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass' started by ThaFunkyFakeTation, Jun 3, 2018.

1. ThaFunkyFakeTation

ThaFunkyFakeTation Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo Thread Starter

Rudy and Bobberman like this.
  2. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

They both look Fabulous Excellent Job Ed you really took great care of these gems

ThaFunkyFakeTation likes this.
  3. ThaFunkyFakeTation

Thanks! I did "Rise" at one point too and need to find the parts to put it back up (shame on me). I have others to do as well.

Ed

Rudy and Bobberman like this.
  4. RichardWarner

RichardWarner Active Member Contributor

During Herb and Lani's awesome performance in Atlanta on May 5th, one of his stories involved Juan Carlos Calderon, whose English "wasn't too good." Seems the song title "Push and Pull" came from the signs on a restroom door at the recording studio.

5. ThaFunkyFakeTation

6. Bobberman

7. Bobberman

8. Are you going to do the gatefold Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 FOOL ON THE HILL?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ThaFunkyFakeTation and Bobberman like this.
  9. ThaFunkyFakeTation

That's a nice one but I don't have it. :sad:

Ed

10. ThaFunkyFakeTation

11. Perhaps your re-jiggered "H" could use a little help. Your seems to be missing the lighter shade connector at the top. This is the way my copy looks.

scan0001.jpg

12. ThaFunkyFakeTation

HA! I'll take it! Thanks yet again, Harry!

Ed

13. ThaFunkyFakeTation

FYI. I've corrected Herb's "Magic Man" LP using Harry's "H". Thanks yet again, Harry!

Ed

Bobberman likes this.
  14. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    Do you do these from scans? They look like it!

15. ThaFunkyFakeTation

Yep. All scans from my large-format Epson.

Ed

16. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    I never did any good with photographing covers--uneven brightness, poor color balance and keystoning are the major issues there, and required way too much post-processing in Photoshop. That is why having a scanner was such a revelation--I had an HP Scanjet that scanned up to 14" long, so I could do a cover in two pieces vs. four, retouch only a couple of minor things, and it's done. Haven't used it in years, though, since I never could find another SCSI card that would work with a modern OS. We do have another scanner here, but I use it only for documents (scanning and/or copying).

17. I've had OK luck in photographing covers and making them look acceptable enough to be a CD cover. Here's one I did of Rupert Holmes' ADVENTURE. First, the original photo on a tablecloth with some keystoning, then the final result after some Photoshop work:

IMG_2847.JPG AdventureFront.JPG

I don't mind the promo stamp in the upper right, so I left it there. It's good enough for a CD cover.

ThaFunkyFakeTation and Bobberman like this.
  18. ThaFunkyFakeTation

I started trying (emphasis on trying) to do them that way but I wasn't satisfied. If I was going to put in the work, I wanted them to be dead ringers. I used to use a ScanJet 8300 which was pretty good but I had to do the albums in two parts and stitch them together. It was work I wasn't sure I needed to do. The bed was also slightly recessed so I couldn't use all of the scanned image. I'd have to do away with about an inch or so of it and than catch that on the repeat scan. Then, I found this:

[​IMG]

This is an extra large scan bed that allows me scan 18 x 12. I can just put the album down, scan it, and that's it. Then, straight into Photoshop to fix. I find as I'm going on that I'm doing more at the scan stage than I used to too. Most major color adjustments happen then instead of in Photoshop. I can take care of minute color changes there where Photoshop is a little more dramatic.

Ed

Rudy likes this.