Herb Alpert BBC4 Documentary

Arthur

Hi folks,
in the last days I found out that Herb's BBC4 documentary is now on YouTube

If you haven't watched it before, you will enjoy it.
You'll find comments from Lou Adler, Sting, Pat Senatore, John Pisano, Bob Edmondson, Lani Hall, Jerry Moss, Richard Carpenter and of course Herb himself.
According to my opion it's brilliant, nearly perfect.
Enjoy!!!!
Many greetings
Arthur

This is the first time I've seen this documentary.

You know, someone once asked me "Herb got out of the army, met a life insurance salesman and then produced hit records with Sam Cooke (!) I mean, how do you do that??" So I just sent him a link to that video, and referred him to the portion that begins at 8:40:

“And I wrote some music to his [Lou Adler’s] poetry, and we took those songs around to publishing companies, and we got some pretty good reaction, and then at Keen Records, they wanted to sign us as staff writers. That’s when we met Sam Cooke.”

And I wrote that quote into my book.

In short, thank you, Arthur.

I downloaded it. Thanks Arthur!

The BBC really seems to think highly of Herb - I don't think his story has ever been told in the US as thoroughly as the BBC has told it with the radio series a few years ago, and now this TV show. What a shame.

Hi folks,
in the last days I found out that Herb's BBC4 documentary is now on YouTube

If you haven't watched it before, you will enjoy it.
You'll find comments from Lou Adler, Sting, Pat Senatore, John Pisano, Bob Edmondson, Lani Hall, Jerry Moss, Richard Carpenter and of course Herb himself.
According to my opion it's brilliant, nearly perfect.
Enjoy!!!!
Many greetings
Arthur

I love this I just finished watching this in it's entirety And it was well worth the wait several years after it was produced thank you so much for sharing this

I downloaded it. Thanks Arthur!

The BBC really seems to think highly of Herb - I don't think his story has ever been told in the US as thoroughly as the BBC has told it with the radio series a few years ago, and now this TV show. What a shame.

Hi Mike,

thanks a lot. I'd like to encourage all TJB fans on this forum what you have done: DOWNLOAD IT!!!!
Why? We cannot be sure how long it will be on YouTube. When someone comes up and realizes that the publishing of the video violates certain ownership rights then YouTube has to delete it.

In the past I had a negative experience. On the vimeo-website Herb published some videoclips from the TV-Special 'The Brass are comin' like "Moon River", "The Little Train of Caipira", "Robbers & Cops" and "I'm An Old Cowhand" in very good quality. But suddenly these clips had been deleted. I posted a question here on the Forum, where to find them again, but there was no definite answer.
Even "Spanish flea" and "Cabaret" disappeared, but these ones had been downloaded before.:righton:

Kind regards
Arthur

Great special. Watch it while you can. The BBC is notorious for yanking their product from YouTube.

Really interesting documentary, hadn't seen it before. He is a creative genius. MMX is the date mark at the end of the documentary, missed this show back in 2010, really pleased to have finally watched it. A&M Records had some amazing artists signed to it, it was a very diverse and creative label.

Original airdate was September 17, 2010, according to my archives.

Great special. Watch it while you can. The BBC is notorious for yanking their product from YouTube.
I noticed that when several of the classic BBC radio comedies that were once very plentiful one day totally disappeared so I totally agree

That was very cool. Loved hearing Herb's piano rendition of Rise at 54:23. I'd love to hear him accompany himself on trumpet on that track.

Just a perfect documentary--it could not have been done any better. It transitioned so smoothly from one phase of Herb's career to the next. It would be a perfect fit for a PBS Pledge campaign, or for that matter, any time on the public television schedule.

Kudos go to A&M Corner's Steve Sidoruk for his contributions to this documentary.

Back
Top Bottom