Herb Alpert in "The Ten Commandments"

ringves

Does anyone have a screen capture of Herb Alpert's appearance in the 1956 film "The Ten Commandments"?

I've checked out the film and I'm not able to identify him with any degree of certainty.

Does anyone have a screen capture of Herb Alpert's appearance in the 1956 film "The Ten Commandments"?

I've checked out the film and I'm not able to identify him with any degree of certainty.
You may not be able to. Here's Herb describing the shoot to the Baltimore Post-Examiner in 2019:

BPE: Do any particular memories from that film stand out?

Alpert: Yeah, I was in the scene where Moses comes down from Mt Sinai with the tablets. There was a party going on – the bacchanal scene. I was playing kettle drum, and the scene was opening up on my back. I looked around and DeMille was up on the boom with the cameraman. Just before they started shooting, I turned and yelled up to DeMille, “Excuse me, sir, but would you mind if the scene opened up on my face?” He just looked at me and said, “Not this time, kid.”

No, but nearly totally unrelated, here is Mike Connors (actor, MANNIX), in THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.
MikeConnorsTenCommandments1.jpg
That's Mike on the right.

Just look for a young guy playing kettle drum and that could be Herb. I've seen that movie a lot, but haven't it in quite a while so I can't say with any certainty.

Just look for a young guy playing kettle drum and that could be Herb. I've seen that movie a lot, but haven't it in quite a while so I can't say with any certainty.
IIRC, Herb's only visible if you have the letterbox edition. The scene was cropped when the movie was "edited" for TV.

I remember that one--I saw the movie because Mancini did the music, and remember thinking the trumpet player sort of looked like a young Herbie Alpert.

And it turned out I was right... 😁

I remember that one--I saw the movie because Mancini did the music, and remember thinking the trumpet player sort of looked like a young Herbie Alpert.

And it turned out I was right... 😁
Years ago when I was about 12, my Mom took me to see a house for sale here in Northridge, California, turned out to be Henry Mancini's. And she held one of his Oscars. He wasn't there at the time. His publishing company was called Northridge Music..

Herb's earliest connection with Maynard Ferguson who is on the soundtrack (Paramount studios).
Later, they would meet up again when Maynard recorded at A&M studios, with Sylvester Stallone on punching bag, the Rocky 2 Disco record. Herb was attending while they were setting up the punching bag. This is from Bill Lee's book "MF HORN".

Back
Top Bottom