🎤 Interview Herb Alpert Interview: Herb talks 'Carpenters'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member

This past week I had an opportunity to interview Herb for our radio show here in Palm Springs which airs every Monday afternoon. We actually spent several minutes talking about his initial meeting and signing of Karen and Richard to the label. Below is the description and link to the interview:

"Along with the success of his band The Tijuana Brass, A&M Records co-founder Herb Alpert talks about his career, as well as the success of the record label and its many artists, some of which included Burt Bacharach, Carpenters, Cat Stevens, Janet Jackson, The Police and Sting. We also discuss his initial meeting and signing of the Carpenters, as well as his life and interests today, including the release of his new single "Puttin' On The Ritz" with wife and singer Lani Hall."

Last edited:
Another great interview! I love how Herb Alpert describes Karen's voice, like she's sitting right there, singing just for you. I think that was always a huge part of Karen's appeal. "Mama's boy" and "she's just the drummer" was the crux of Randy's book, but it's remarkable to hear Joe say that now. And still very sad.

Interesting for him to say that their music is not the style he would have chosen to sit and listen to.

Interesting for him to say that their music is not the style he would have chosen to sit and listen to.

Yeah, it's actually not the first time he's been quoted as saying it. I *too* remember hearing that a while back and thinking the same thing. I do wonder (and never thought to ask him) if his opinion of that changed after their music developed. For some reason, I think it probably did. What he was referring to was their early sound. We all know the "Offering" stuff was much different than what Carpenters soon became. Just my $.02… :D

Again a reference made to the multiple recordings of Close To You. Karen on drums then subsequently Hal Blaine. What did Hal do that Karen didn't? I'm not a drummer, no rhythm drum-wise, but aint it just a little rat tat tat and a crash-0-the-cymbals? I'm kidding. I'd like to hear these former takes for posterity if nothing else. Great to hear where the tune began. I'd lay my $.02 that Richard will never, ever, not now, not then, not never ever, ever or forever provide these trax. Me thinks...

No audio, but here's a picture of them recording "Close To You" with Karen on drums.

CarpsCloseToYouStudio.JPG

Harry

That picture is taken from the promo video for 'Close To You'. They also mimed to 'Love is Surrender' that day.

I guess that recognizing talent, even if it runs contrary to your own tastes, is what makes someone like Herb Alpert successful as an executive and impresario as well as a performer. I recall in Stan Cornyn's book "Exploding" (a history of Warner Bros. Records) his asking Mo Ostin of WB, who was then signing acts like Alice Cooper and Thin Lizzy to the label, what kind of music he (Ostin) would pick for his own listening at home. Ostin replied; "Maybe something like Andy Williams." (!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom