Herb Alpert Is... CD and Vinyl Box Sets

Can't trust that listing on eBay--it contradicts itself. "Brand New" yet "open box"...? And no UPC listed underneath, with the wrong title?

I don’t know how I managed to miss this set when it was released. With the vinyl set being so big and heavy, was it ever released in the U.K. I do not like these 5" digipak releases too much as I tend to find that many companies try to cram in so much, that the text is so small that they should come with a microscope. Lately, some companies are releasing their sets like this in 8" boxes which are much better and it’s disappointing that a set such as this with what looks like a great book was released in the 5" format.

I do not like these 5" digipak releases too much as I tend to find that many companies try to cram in so much, that the text is so small that they should come with a microscope.
That has long been a complaint of mine ever since CDs became available--the cover art not only shrunk down, any liner notes (basically, anything printed on the jacket or the innersleeve) was difficult to read even back then, before my eyesight got so bad. Today, I don't even bother trying to read CD booklet printing--even with readers, it's still way too small, and it's too much hassle to try and follow it all with a magnifying glass.

They could almost sell the book from Herb's box set separately, as exhaustive as it was.

I was a tad bit disappointed in it though because as with most of these kind of books, it only covers the "minutiae" on the most popular songs. I mean, we already know all the tiny facts on "Lonely Bull" and "Spanish Flea," I was hoping for some more tidbits, like who played on the last few TJB albums, more behind the scenes on those later records. But, they weren't as popular so they get ignored. It's the same reason Sergio's documentary ignored the total change in sounds that happened between Ye Me Le and Stillness, and again between Pais Tropical and Primal Roots. Those would be interesting stories, but since the records weren't hits, the tales are lost to the ages.

I have been listening to Pet Sounds and other Beach Boys outtakes. A real insight into the creative process. If only we had something like this for us TJB fans.

It's probably because I've been nearsighted all my life that CD booklet printing has never felt too small, most of the time. Herb's CD boxset has easy-to-read text for me. On really small stuff, I take my glasses off!

I was a tad bit disappointed in it though because as with most of these kind of books, it only covers the "minutiae" on the most popular songs. I mean, we already know all the tiny facts on "Lonely Bull" and "Spanish Flea," I was hoping for some more tidbits, like who played on the last few TJB albums, more behind the scenes on those later records.
A book with session information and comments from the remaining musicians who played on all of these records over the past 60 years would be ideal, but who would buy it beyond music aficionados?

Even the session sheets aren't reliable--some musicians might have been contracted to play on a gig, but their parts may have never been used in the mix, or perhaps they didn't even record on the final take at all, or were used for tracking a demo. (And it doesn't really matter to a musician--if they're paid to show up, it doesn't matter if they play or not. It's the time they're expending that gets paid for, not the performance...if that makes sense.)

A book with session information and comments from the remaining musicians who played on all of these records over the past 60 years would be ideal, but who would buy it beyond music aficionados?

Even the session sheets aren't reliable--some musicians might have been contracted to play on a gig, but their parts may have never been used in the mix, or perhaps they didn't even record on the final take at all, or were used for tracking a demo. (And it doesn't really matter to a musician--if they're paid to show up, it doesn't matter if they play or not. It's the time they're expending that gets paid for, not the performance...if that makes sense.)
Such is the nature of The Recording Industry

Back
Top Bottom