Herb Alpert Is... CD and Vinyl Box Sets

Just received mine and am very pleased! Very nice looking set. Got the CDs and even with the smaller sized book, I found it easy to read. My reading vision is not great at present but the text is clear even with the smaller print.

Finally, an answer to something I've wondered for a number of years now. I've wondered why the track "What Now My Love" always sounded a little "gritty" for lack of a better term. Herb answers it in the liner notes that he had taken home a demo recording of the song that wasn't recorded at the "professional" speed, but liked the groove so much that it became the released recording and won a bunch of Grammys.!
Hi Harry~ WNML is NOT the demo. There was no demo. The Grammy winning "master recording" was a rough studio mix that was done quickly after an over-dub session one night and was recorded at a lower level on scrap tape at the slower tape speed and not at the usual faster tape recorder speed that a normal master mix would be recorded at. The slower the tape speed the more noise. And, the sound level on this rough tape was much lower than the music level would be if you were doing a master mix. Because the sound level was so low on the rough mix, the mastering engineer had to bump the sound level up to match the other mixes on the album. When you bump up the sound level in mastering all of the hiss and noise from the tape is boosted. It is called signal to noise. With analog tape recording, If the signal (music) is too low, you will hear more noise coming from the tape itself. Generally on master mixes you would put as much sound (music) onto the master 2 trk or master mono mix. Because this was just a late night rough mix done quickly, there was not enough sound (music) on the tape. Herb & Larry Levine tried to do several real mixes on WNML but apparently they could not re-create the magic that Herb had with that late night rough mix.. With digital recording you really do not have this problem of hiss and noise no matter how low the sound level is.

Thanks Randy. I probably was incorrect with my use of the term "demo". Everything you say makes perfect sense to this longtime fan and recording aficionado.

I got mine yesterday too (CD set) after getting a notice from Amazon that it wasn't showing up till Thursday. Very impressive set, one of the nicer box sets I've seen, packagewise. I would love to buy a full size version of the book without the LPs.
Hi Mike~ Unfortunately we only made 2020 large books that are bound with the 5 LP's. The LP package was hugely expensive and extremely complicated to make. We used 3 different companies to manufacture this set including a professional bookbinder. This took months to figure out how to put this together with many, many complications coupled with staff and material shortages due to the epidemic. This was a very difficult project to complete but we wanted something unique and classy.

Hi Mike~ Unfortunately we only made 2020 large books that are bound with the 5 LP's. The LP package was hugely expensive and extremely complicated to make. We used 3 different companies to manufacture this set including a professional bookbinder. This took months to figure out how to put this together with many, many complications coupled with staff and material shortages due to the epidemic. This was a very difficult project to complete but we wanted something unique and classy.
Unfortunately, we did not make stand alone books. I am sorry Mike.

Hi Harry~ WNML is NOT the demo. There was no demo.

From the enclosed book with the box set, on page 141:

"FROM HERB: When I finished recording the track, "What Now My Love" I took a demo recording of it home and loved it. Even though the demo was not recorded at the professional speed, that demo version is the record that was released and I won 2 Grammy Awards for it."

So I was basically quoting from your Uncle when I used the word "demo". He used it three times. Go yell at him! :D

Just received mine and am very pleased! Very nice looking set. Got the CDs and even with the smaller sized book, I found it easy to read. My reading vision is not great at present but the text is clear even with the smaller print.
Hi Dee~ We were really concerned in ensuring that the text was as large and easy to read as possible on the smaller CD book. I saw the finished CD set yesterday and was very happy that they are very legible. I hope that you enjoy the music and the information and memorabilia. Steve Sidoruk from the AM Corner did a fantastic job and is always so helpful and knowledgeable to both Herb and myself. Be well Dee!

Thanks Randy. I probably was incorrect with my use of the term "demo". Everything you say makes perfect sense to this longtime fan and recording aficionado.
Harry, I too like you am a fan of those 60s TJB recordings and often pick up the phone or write an email to Herb with questions I have about those early recordings. I tried to include many of Herb's personal memories and thoughts regarding many of the tracks into the box set book. Many, many years ago I too asked Herb why WNML was so noisy as compared to the other tracks on the album and Herb told me the story. Be safe!

Harry, I too like you am a fan of those 60s TJB recordings and often pick up the phone or write an email to Herb with questions I have about those early recordings. I tried to include many of Herb's personal memories and thoughts regarding many of the tracks into the box set book. Many, many years ago I too asked Herb why WNML was so noisy as compared to the other tracks on the album and Herb told me the story. Be safe!

Do all of us a big favor, Randy, if you can. Tell us the story of the missing trombone and trumpet fills on "Brasilia". Most of us with original LPs know the song with the trombone and trumpet fills intact, but ever since CDs arrived, those parts have been missing.

I started listening to the CDs yesterday, finally. It's nice to have a compilation that's more "in depth" with a lot of favored album tracks. The picks from Whipped Cream are SPOT ON, it's my exact list of faves from that album.

I was going to put together a playlist but Qobuz has the set available for download and streaming. It's not HiRes but I can assemble a playlist from my downloads to achieve the same thing if I'm so inclined. 😉 It's good having the set out there for those who aren't into physical media anymore.

1602530756374.png

When the playlist was first announce, a few weeks ago, I actually assembled the tracks for listening in the car. The selections in this box set really show that some thought was put into it and I congratulate both Herb and Randy for its excellence. I used all of the Herb Alpert Presents CDs as source material with just one exception. "The Sea Is My Soil" is such a supreme favorite that I get upset at what has become of the master tape of that track, so I substituted a needle-drop from clean vinyl in its place.

I thought about doing the same for "Brasilia", but left it as it appeared on the CDs of WHAT NOW MY LOVE. So I can listen to the HERB ALPERT IS... set in my car without fear of damaging the CDs themselves.

I started listening to the CDs yesterday, finally. It's nice to have a compilation that's more "in depth" with a lot of favored album tracks. The picks from Whipped Cream are SPOT ON, it's my exact list of faves from that album.

Now I just need to assemble my own boxset playlist for the iPod.

Qobuz has the set available for download and streaming.
That's cool that the set is broken down as if you were listening to the LPs.

A neat little bit of forethought went into the printing of the book for both the CD and LP, I presume. If you look at the credits for original mastering, the tracks are listed in total number order, not by CD or LP. In other words, Arnie Acosta is credited with tracks 47 and 48, rather than the placement of those tracks on CDs or LPs. It does require a bit of counting, but for those playing along at home, those two tracks are from MY ABSTRACT HEART.

From the enclosed book with the box set, on page 141:

"FROM HERB: When I finished recording the track, "What Now My Love" I took a demo recording of it home and loved it. Even though the demo was not recorded at the professional speed, that demo version is the record that was released and I won 2 Grammy Awards for it."

So I was basically quoting from your Uncle when I used the word "demo". He used it three times. Go yell at him! :D

I get it but just to clarify; Herb is calling the rough mix a "demo" mix because it was not mixed at the usual tape speed and sound level. So you are indeed correct about what you read. Thanks Harry!

Do all of us a big favor, Randy, if you can. Tell us the story of the missing trombone and trumpet fills on "Brasilia". Most of us with original LPs know the song with the trombone and trumpet fills intact, but ever since CDs arrived, those parts have been missing.

Hi Harry~

Over the years I have asked Herb about this and several other mixes and he just doesn't remember. I think that these different mixes had something to do with them doing mono mixes and stereo mixes and maybe using different sub mixes from the master 4 track machine. I have not listened to the original multitrack tape of "Brasilia" in over 7 years though I did transfer all of the WNML tracks to digital files. Unfortunately, I cannot pick up the phone to call Larry Levine who might surely have known the answer. Julius too may have been able to answer.

Hi Mike~ For the TJB years I chose the tracks from my 11 year old fan point of view. Very difficult choosing 63 songs over a 58 year career with over 500 songs recorded. This could have been a 150 track collection. Herb did choose a few of his favorites from the 90s onward. Thanks Mike.

The CD box set finally arrived up here in Norway yesterday. I must say, it was really worth the wait. It is really wonderful; the design, the package and the book of course. Top quality all the way. Thanks to Randy for a great production, and it is so nice to see that our own Steve has provided so much from his archives to benefit the set.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

The CD box set finally arrived up here in Norway yesterday. I must say, it was really worth the wait. It is really wonderful; the design, the package and the book of course. Top quality all the way. Thanks to Randy for a great production, and it is so nice to see that our own Steve has provided so much from his archives to benefit the set.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

Hi Martin~ Norway is such a beautiful country and I hope that you are staying safe and staying warm. I didn't know that the CD set is available in Europe. I had thought that it was being released in about a week so I am glad that you were able to get it and am happy that you are enjoying it. Steve Sidoruk did a wonderful job in helping us design this book and was a huge help to me with information in regards to the individual music tracks that we chose. Everyone at AM Corner contributes valuable insights! Hold deg varm og vær trygg

Long time reader, new poster, here to make a confession.

I did not intend on buying a physical copy of this set, as I have almost every Herb Alpert release on cd. I thought all would be ok listening on Amazon hd.

But a few weeks in I can’t stop playing this set. The whole set has been a beautiful ear worm. The selections are chosen expertly.

Just now I ordered the cd set. Can’t wait to see it.
Appreciation to all involved.

Welcome! 🙋‍♂️
But a few weeks in I can’t stop playing this set. The whole set has been a beautiful ear worm. The selections are chosen expertly.
It's the best career overview I've ever seen, since it touches on almost everything.

The price went down on Amazon this weekend and then I fell into a gift certificate in recent days such that I could order the cd set for a much more reasonable, realistic price and it'll be here via Amazon Prime shipping in two days (tomorrow). Did not need it for the music as I have all of the albums. Simply a completist.

Likely will get the dvd of the pseudo-documentary, more long form ad at some point down the line.

I got mine yesterday too (CD set) after getting a notice from Amazon that it wasn't showing up till Thursday. Very impressive set, one of the nicer box sets I've seen, packagewise. I would love to buy a full size version of the book without the LPs.
likewise on fuller sized book, to compliment the coffee table book of art I have!

Back
Top Bottom