• Guest, preorder your copy of the upcoming Herb Alpert Is... box set. Click for CD version or Vinyl version. Release date is October 2, 2020, subject to change.

HERB ALPERT IS... (Documentary and Box Sets)

Bobberman

If it comes out on regular DVD I'm buying a copy I still have an onkyo 6 disc DVD Changer I use for them and it plays ALL Disc formats even the old mp3 cd remember those???

Rudy

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
Staff member
Site Admin
I totally get that. I just am not there myself now. Used to be, but I'm a minimalist when it comes to physical media anymore.
I stream occasionally but if it's something I want to own and keep legally on my media server, I download it. I'm certain this will be available for a download from somewhere. I guess we'll see when that happens. I don't want all this clutter in my house anymore; I already have several dozen Laserdiscs and over 100 DVDs heading to the landfill once I get around to that part of the basement.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
My old unwanted DVDs will get donated to the local library - good for a write-off at income tax time. :wink:

Steven J. Gross

Streaming is a natural for this. Frankly, it will do much better than theatrical and a welcome media event for these times. Sooner the better.

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
I’m glad to hear there will be a Blu-ray option. I’ll use some handy software to convert it to digital cinema format so I can watch it in the theatre on the big screen, where it belongs. (Harry, we might have to have a “A&M Corner Northern Command” convention this year!)

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Figures. I waited years for TjB re-issues on CD and three of them were on iTunes - and I don't do Apple.

Now, a long awaited documentary will premiere on Facebook - and I don't do Facebook.

I must be out of step with the rest of society - and mostly that makes me happy.

Rudy

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
Staff member
Site Admin
Yeah, I'll wait for it to show up somewhere that doesn't bombard me with ads and steal my privacy.

I keep up with tech but fb is one of the few things I block on my firewall at home so I keep their tracking trash out of my devices. I can't believe how incredibly out of touch many video or event producers are who assume everyone uses that vile site. I don't, and won't. YouTube is free, more widely accepted and I can stream it on my TV much more easily. YouTube even lets you purchase videos if the content creator wants to make a few bucks off of them. When Herb and crew wake up and put it there, I'll watch it. Otherwise? Nope. Just nope.

I kinda agree with Rudy, though you cast Google cast FB video to your big screen.YouTube can also be annoying but it is easier to manage.

I just came across the “companion” cd or vinyl and booklet for “Herb Alpert Is...”. Quite expensive and though I am a major fan of his music and have all of his releases in cd or digital formats, I’ll pass as I cannot afford that outlay.. Odd to say that because I am a completist.

Really would like remasters/rereleases of remaining 80s albums and alternate stuff (releases in nin US markets, alternate versions of songs,, and songs in which he was an artist on another artist’s tune).

Murray

I just came across the “companion” cd or vinyl and booklet for “Herb Alpert Is...”. Quite expensive and though I am a major fan of his music and have all of his releases in cd or digital formats, I’ll pass as I cannot afford that outlay.. Odd to say that because I am a completist.
I'm going to have to pass too. They are listed on Amazon (US) for pre-order. $99.98 for the 3-CD set, and $322.98 (!) for the 5-LP set. I'm guessing that the price is so high, because it's a niche item and will only be produced in small quantities? It would have been nice to have especially for the booklet, but it's hard to justify paying that much for another copy of music I already own on other albums. It's unfortunate that it's being released at a time when many people's finances have taken a hit due to the pandemic.

Last edited:

rbisherw

I'm going to have to pass too. They are listed on Amazon (US) for pre-order. $99.98 for the 3-CD set, and $322.98 (!) for the 5-LP set. I'm guessing that the price is so high, because it's a niche item and will only be produced in small quantities? It would have been nice to have especially for the booklet, but it's hard to justify paying that much for another copy of music I already own on other albums. It's unfortunate that it's being released at a time when many people's finances have taken a hit due to the pandemic.
My feelings as well.
Would have hoped for some unreleased and/or alternate takes.
May consider if the price comes down to < 60 bucks in US.

Last edited:

martin

It's expensive, but at the same time it looks to be a product of high quality, with the booklet, photos and all. Almost 20 years ago I payed $ 100 for "The Brass Are Comin'" CD on eBay, so compared to that it isn't so bad... :wink:

- greetings from the north -
Martin

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Wow. I'm quite surprised at the perceived lack of support here. I'm thrilled at finally getting a Herb Alpert box set, something we've been crying for here for ages.

Do you all realize that the only things "close" to a Herb Alpert box set in all these years have been:

Longines Symphonette 5-record set with the Baja Marimba Band occupying one record.
Herb Alpert & Friends LP box set of various A&M artists and themes (UK).
A wonky "Fan Box Set" that was comprised of the ganging together of Greatest Hits 1 & 2.
The "lunch box" tin from Shout! with three albums inside (Whipped, Going, and What Now).

As Martin said, some of the foreign CDs that we collectors have paid big bucks for makes the cost of this pale in comparison. I'm not exactly rolling in dough, but as long as there's breath in this body, I'll be supporting my favorite artist.

Rudy

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
Staff member
Site Admin
As I have all the original recordings newly remastered and in hi-res (and vinyl where available), I have absolutely no use for a box set. Why buy music I already own? I can sequence the exact same thing in a playlist in Roon, or I can spin the vinyl I already own.

Would I buy an illustrated book? Yep, in a heartbeat. I'd also purchase a video including this documentary if it were available. Years ago when the only thing we had were recycled anthologies (Greatest Hits, etc.) and Whipped Cream, sure, a box set made sense to me.

Yep, this box set is definitely not for me. But I do see a very small market for it--collectors of either Herb Alpert's music or lavish box sets in general, including those who may only own an old Greatest Hits CD who want more and want a bit of exclusivity.

Preorder links:

CD box set:

/

Vinyl box set:

martin

Well, I see we don't all concur on this. I agree with Harry, it is absolutely no question about not getting the "Herb Alpert Is..." box for me. I find it great that it is finally happening.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

As I have all the original recordings newly remastered and in hi-res (and vinyl where available), I have absolutely no use for a box set. Why buy music I already own? I can sequence the exact same thing in a playlist in Roon, or I can spin the vinyl I already own.

Would I buy an illustrated book? Yep, in a heartbeat. I'd also purchase a video including this documentary if it were available. Years ago when the only thing we had were recycled anthologies (Greatest Hits, etc.) and Whipped Cream, sure, a box set made sense to me.

Yep, this box set is definitely not for me. But I do see a very small market for it--collectors of either Herb Alpert's music or lavish box sets in general, including those who may only own an old Greatest Hits CD who want more and want a bit of exclusivity.

Preorder links:

CD box set:

/

Vinyl box set:

I do agree with this comment.

Top Bottom