Herb Alpert Is... Original Announcements

All 2020 Herb & Lani tour dates have been cancelled - maybe even into next year, too. No new date for the Herb Documentary release.

It seems the venues haven’t been notified yet. Got this email yesterday about my tickets for a May show.

Thank you for connecting with us. I'm sorry that info is not readily available for you, but your event is still scheduled for May 22, 2020.

If your event was canceled, there’s also nothing you need to do. It’s Ticketmaster’s standing policy to automatically refund the full cost of the ticket and fees to the original purchaser’s method of payment used at time of purchase. For any canceled events, due to the unprecedented volume of cancelations, please note that you should expect to receive your refund in as soon as 30 days.
Have additional questions? Just reply to this email and we'll be back in touch, or you can find answers on the spot in our FAQs.
Your fellow fan,
Miguel A.
Ticketmaster Fan Support

I would think the ticketing agents are overwhelmed with cancellations at this point. So I'm sure it will catch up at some point.

FROM Ticketmaster:

Hi live event fan,
Your event is still happening, but at a future date yet to be announced.

Herb Alpert & Lani Hall
Birchmere
NEW DATE: To Be Announced

Hang on to your tickets — we'll email you as soon as the new date is announced.
If you're selling tickets to this event, the listing with the old date will come down — then just list the new tickets with the new date from My Account on your computer or mobile device.
We are working with the event organizer to identify a new date and we will contact you as soon as we have confirmation. If your event organizer is offering refunds, this option (a refund link) will be visible under the order in your Ticketmaster account. If the refund link is not appearing, the event organizer is not offering refunds at this time. Please note that given the unprecedented circumstances, event organizers are constantly assessing the situation and making determinations regarding refunds. If your event is not currently enabled for refunds, check back later, as this status may change.
Thanks for being a fan!
Ticketmaster Fan Support

HERB ALPERT IS... will be released in the Fall.
If so, it'll be on streaming.

SO glad Rhonda and I went to Napa to see Herb & Lani in concert on February 29.

We stayed with friends---a woman I've known since fifth grade and her husband. The next morning, over breakfast, we chatted about this Coronavirus that was causing trouble in Washington State and likely going to have us all in quarantine "for maybe as long as two weeks in March or maybe April".

The odds of movie theaters everywhere---or even most places-- being up and running anytime in calendar 2020 are low and getting lower.

The odds of movie theaters everywhere---or even most places-- being up and running anytime in calendar 2020 are low and getting lower.

Yeah... the studios used to just push their release dates back, now they are postponing movies "indefinitely."

I fear for the future in so many ways. And we aren't even hit that hard with the virus here. (7 active cases in our 5,000-square-mile county.)

This isn't exactly related to the topic at hand, but early on in the virus panic, one of the major publications put out a list of business that would not exist post-virus. One of them was movie theaters. I strongly disagree with that. Yeah, sure, we can do streaming movies at home (even as pay-per-view) or wait for premium movie channels to carry them. But people will still want to get out of the house. They want the experience of going to the theater--sharing the experience with family or friends, buying the popcorn, seeing it on a bigger screen than what they have at home with a bazillion surround channels.

I think the smaller (and indendently owned 😉) theaters may have a better chance at survival--they can adapt faster to the market, and/or serve niches overlooked by others, or offer additional perks that the chains won't offer. (Emagine, for instance, offers food and alcoholic beverages.) The bean counters in the chains are answering to stockholders first, and visitors not-so-first. They'd rather close hundreds of screens than find ways to get clever.

I agree with everything you wrote! Indies are indeed more flexible and adaptable than the chains. But, the problem we have is, the studios want those big chains to open before they'll release movies to theaters. Without the chains, they'd probably just release everything day-and-date to home video, which would probably put most of us out of business in a pretty short while. Our lifeline is NEW movies, not movies that are already on video.

One thing we did during the early part of the shutdown was, we sold curbside popcorn, candy, sodas etc. That went great for a couple of months, but once summer hit, the novelty wore off and people were off doing other things. So the curbside business dropped to the point where it wasn't worth it to keep it going. We might do another weekend at some point but for now, we're just closed.

The good side of it is, we are using this time to put in new seats, which is a project we had put in motion before the pandemic started. Now I just hope we can get opened up soon so people can enjoy them!

Movie theaters and restaurants have a very difficult path ahead (and I wish you the best, Mike). Any business that is predicated on having x percent of x seats filled on any given day that suddenly has to make it work with a third of that is facing a real challenge.

Besides streaming from multiple sources, DVD & BLU-RAY discs are planned...
Happy to hear it's being made available to as many people as possible!

Side note---does anyone have any idea how much of a market there still is for DVD and Blu-Ray? I imagine it exists, as I still see them in displays near checkout at Target, but I've been pretty much exclusively streaming for eight or nine years now.

Back
Top Bottom