📣 News Herb Alpert Is... Documentary Comments and Impressions

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Is anyone up for a viewing party? I have two options if there is interest:
  1. A thread in the forum where anyone watching the documentary would comment in real time while watching it. We'd have to refresh the thread to watch for replies, but it's an interesting way to share it.

(I've seen this on other forums for music listening parties, where participants would start playback of the chosen album at a predetermined time and play it all the way through, taking comments along the way.)
  2. Live chat via Discord. It can run in a browser, or you can install an app. I would issue an invite to the channel about an hour prior to the premier so everyone can get settled in and ready. You can sign up for a free account at discord.com.
I prefer option #2, as #1 can be tedious. But I'll go either way.

I'll think about that. While I find the idea interesting, I also prefer watching things uninterrupted, particularly new things. Then there's the matter of location. Our main TV is in the living room, and my main computer is in the den. While I have a laptop that could move to the living room, and I have a TV in the den, I'm just not sure.

I could be persuaded either way - or not at all. How's that for commitment!?

It's interesting to communicate while it's airing--for many of us it's a singular activity and it's nice to bounce thoughts off of others who are also interested in the subject at hand.

I've heard of similar things with episodes of STAR TREK, and with certain sporting events. The sports ones make sense since it doesn't demand your total attention.

I think YouTube may even provide live chat.

YouTube does for some of their live videos...but have you ever seen the comments in YouTube? This is like a live version of them, and it can be as off the wall as you'd imagine.

Yeah, on really active ones, they scroll so fast you can't read them! And as you say, who'd want to? :)

The cool part about the Austin City Limits taping was the "applause" after each tune--dozens of 👏👏👏 messages scrolling by quickly.

I had to shut the comments off--too distracting. Skipping the Q&A though...repetitive questions already answered in the film. (Did the moderator not watch this??)

Enjoyed the film. Watching the Q&A now. You're right, it's somewhat repetitive.

Technically, the stream wasn't the best. I used an Amazon Firestick connected to YouTube on our 60" TV. There was quite a bit of pixellation, especially in the fast motion segments.

I'm sure the DVD or Blu-ray will be better in that regard.

Technically, the stream wasn't the best. I used an Amazon Firestick connected to YouTube on our 60" TV. There was quite a bit of pixellation, especially in the fast motion segments.

Same here--any live stream I've seen on YouTube has been of similar quality, likely to discourage saving/recording it, but also to preserve bandwidth due to so many watching the video at the same time, I'm thinking.

Didn't watch it on the TV since I've been working through the evening...

Some pics of Jerry Moss, especially mustached, made me think he oughta be a TJB or BMB member... lol
Well, he IS pictured as a Baja on the first couple album covers! And he's flying the plane on GOING PLACES.

I enjoyed the film immensely! Herb has certainly lived a full, productive life, and he's still going strong!

I would suggest anyone still wanting to watch it, to do so ASAP before it's taken down.

EDIT: It's offline now.

Last edited:
I couldn't watch it tonight due to other obligations and of course Amazon is now telling me the CD set won't be here till Tuesday (which I'll bet is more of a supplier issue than an Amazon one) so the next available time I'll have is Sunday afternoon, so if it's gone by then I guess I'll be waiting for the BluRay.

One question I've had "may" have been answered - as to which version of some the songs will be included. Fans have long noted that "Brasilia" in modern times has always been the version without the trombone/trumpet fills, and the small section of it used in the doc was that "de-boned" version.

I watched it on my TCL Roku tv via the YouTube app even though my verizon fios has a YT channel. A little choppy occasionally, to be expected (had the same thing a few months ago with the Sondheim 90th bd video, which was great). Enjoyed it. Some music in it I am not familiar with, believe it or not.

Can’t get the box set as too dear for me. Probably could do it at half the going rate. If this gets released on a dvd or bluray, however, I’ll likely get it.

I couldn't watch it tonight due to other obligations and of course Amazon is now telling me the CD set won't be here till Tuesday (which I'll bet is more of a supplier issue than an Amazon one) so the next available time I'll have is Sunday afternoon, so if it's gone by then I guess I'll be waiting for the BluRay.

Probably more of amazon isnt happy with what the supplier paid them to sell it. Have been having the same issue with recent music releases.

This morning I received the Amazon "Autorip" mp3's of the box set. The set is supposed to arrive Tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom