📣 News Herb Alpert Is... Documentary Comments and Impressions

Herb just does not like to look back and re-live the past. He likes to look forward and be in the moment and create new things. I spent 1979 & 1980 in the studio making recordings with him and now many years later I am his partner in all of these film and music things. It is a different perspective then even Jerry's or Lani's.

Let me preface my message to Randy with my own background regarding 'Unc':
I was five years old when my family and I moved to Rota, Spain in the summer of 1974. I asked my mom if we had any "Spanish" music in her records. She said no, but there might be some records with a Spanish flare that might interest me. After playing her "Tonight Carmen" and "Gunfighter Ballads" records by Marty Robbins, I segued into a couple of instrumental albums by this trumpet guy. One was GOING PLACES and the other was, of course, WHIPPED CREAM & OTHER DELIGHTS. These two records are what began my love of Herb's music. My mom's TJB collection ("Tijuana Taxi" started it all for me), and then five years later when I heard "Rise" back in the states, I just became obsessed with all things Herb. Ironically, my first vinyl purchase with my own money was MAIN EVENT LIVE. But soon I would begin grabbing up everything I possibly could (vinyl lp, 45, and later CD) and ended up with a pretty extensive collection from THE LONELY BULL on up through OVER THE RAINBOW. I have all 46 originally released albums, plus most of the compilations. Just got the DVD documentary. Awesome. I think we've all been waiting for this for a LONG time. And it was well worth the wait.

Now, with all of that being said... Badazz, you were a big part of my all time favorite Herb Alpert era: the early 80s (as I became a teenager in 1981). RISE, BEYOND, MAGIC MAN, FANDANGO and BLOW YOUR OWN HORN. And while I realize that Herb likes to keep things fresh and look forward, he doesn't seem to acknowledge any of his early 80s output (aside from "Rise" of course, and maybe "Route 101").
I can't help but think I'd be the lunatic in the audience shouting "PLAY MAGIC MAN!", "LATIN LADY !", "PUSH AND PULL !" or "REACH FOR THE STARS!" Just curious: Am I the only one who longs for this all-but forgotten part of his recording legacy?

I finally Got my DVD copy of the Documentary and watched the whole thing I have to say parts of it deeply moved me and It was well worth the money and it plays just fine on my Onkyo DVD changer which still works after 10 years Excellent work to Everyone involved in this

Being worked on..
There is a book about A&M's 25th anniversary that's chock full of interesting stuff. My copy is signed by Herb and I've always wanted to get Jerry to sign it. ... So here's a question, mentioned in the first paragraph of that anniversary book. The writer references a tune the two of them did at the very beginning called "Hooray for the Big Slow Train" by the Diddly-Os, which was sort of an anomaly for A&M. But I've never come across the track. Any idea — what's the deal?

There is a book about A&M's 25th anniversary that's chock full of interesting stuff. My copy is signed by Herb and I've always wanted to get Jerry to sign it. ... So here's a question, mentioned in the first paragraph of that anniversary book. The writer references a tune the two of them did at the very beginning called "Hooray for the Big Slow Train" by the Diddly-Os, which was sort of an anomaly for A&M. But I've never come across the track. Any idea — what's the deal?

It was before A&M, on Dore Records.

Let me preface my message to Randy with my own background regarding 'Unc':
I was five years old when my family and I moved to Rota, Spain in the summer of 1974. I asked my mom if we had any "Spanish" music in her records. She said no, but there might be some records with a Spanish flare that might interest me. After playing her "Tonight Carmen" and "Gunfighter Ballads" records by Marty Robbins, I segued into a couple of instrumental albums by this trumpet guy. One was GOING PLACES and the other was, of course, WHIPPED CREAM & OTHER DELIGHTS. These two records are what began my love of Herb's music. My mom's TJB collection ("Tijuana Taxi" started it all for me), and then five years later when I heard "Rise" back in the states, I just became obsessed with all things Herb. Ironically, my first vinyl purchase with my own money was MAIN EVENT LIVE. But soon I would begin grabbing up everything I possibly could (vinyl lp, 45, and later CD) and ended up with a pretty extensive collection from THE LONELY BULL on up through OVER THE RAINBOW. I have all 46 originally released albums, plus most of the compilations. Just got the DVD documentary. Awesome. I think we've all been waiting for this for a LONG time. And it was well worth the wait.

Now, with all of that being said... Badazz, you were a big part of my all time favorite Herb Alpert era: the early 80s (as I became a teenager in 1981). RISE, BEYOND, MAGIC MAN, FANDANGO and BLOW YOUR OWN HORN. And while I realize that Herb likes to keep things fresh and look forward, he doesn't seem to acknowledge any of his early 80s output (aside from "Rise" of course, and maybe "Route 101").
I can't help but think I'd be the lunatic in the audience shouting "PLAY MAGIC MAN!", "LATIN LADY !", "PUSH AND PULL !" or "REACH FOR THE STARS!" Just curious: Am I the only one who longs for this all-but forgotten part of his recording legacy?
MAIN EVENT LIVE was my intro to South African jazz musicians such as Jonas Gwangwa and Caiphus Semenya in addition to my other musical hero, Hugh Masekela. Way before Paul Simon’s Graceland album. It is also a better album than the Herb-Hugh studio album. Was so happy when tgecremaster was released. And though, of course, I grew up with the Tijuana brass music in my house as a kid, I have always been much more drawn to Mr. Albert solo career and so many other songs that your site are those that are preferences of mine. I’ve always liked the BYOH album and Fandango in addition to Rise. I really wish he would re-release in a remastered digital format at the least the few remaining solo albums from the 80s and that vilified solo album that predated Rise that have yet to be released again.

We haven't been told any plans for future releases, but at this point I might speculate that the missing albums are only missing because they couldn't find suitable master tapes, although Randy may want to weigh in on that.

Are we speaking of MY ABSTRACT HEART and WILD ROMANCE?

Both are easily obtainable on either eBay or Discogs - and for not very much money. As later releases, why is it necessary to "remaster". They sound fine as is.

Now, JUST YOU AND ME - I think everyone can just forget about that one. Herb has - or wants to. The LP is still easily obtainable, usually in excellent condition on the used market.

Why am I the only one who loves Just You and Me and thinks it’s a great artistic statement...?

We haven't been told any plans for future releases, but at this point I might speculate that the missing albums are only missing because they couldn't find suitable master tapes, although Randy may want to weigh in on that.

There are a load of tapes - that doesn't mean they'll be released just because they have them. They have to be commercially viable.

There are a load of tapes - that doesn't mean they'll be released just because they have them. They have to be commercially viable.

It would be great if Herb donated them to a museum or library so we could hear them. If he doesn’t want to release them of course.

And as I recall Just you and me Did not even Chart and given the somber tone of the Album it would not be considered commercially viable ( although I personally enjoy the album and have had my clean copy since 1994) I get it however if it ever gets reissued being a basic Completist I will definitely purchase it Either way its ok

Why am I the only one who loves Just You and Me and thinks it’s a great artistic statement...?
You're not. I'd snap up any future issues of it in a heartbeat. But I'm facing up to reality. It was a failure as an album in the eyes and ears of the 1970s, and it's just not financially viable now.

I find the album haunting, and cohesive. No single recording from it could ever be mistaken as coming from any other album. It's unique. I'm thrilled to have the LP, which made a great needledrop.

I remember watching the old Hollywood Palace show back in the day with my parents. Herb and the Brass appeared several times. Herb hosted at least twice I think. There was one show that was all A&M artists. These have been on and off of YouTube. Not sure who would own these - ABC/Disney?

You're not. I'd snap up any future issues of it in a heartbeat. But I'm facing up to reality. It was a failure as an album in the eyes and ears of the 1970s, and it's just not financially viable now.

I find the album haunting, and cohesive. No single recording from it could ever be mistaken as coming from any other album. It's unique. I'm thrilled to have the LP, which made a great needledrop.
My feelings Exactly

It would be great if Herb donated them to a museum or library so we could hear them. If he doesn’t want to release them of course.

Which museum or library would be willing to spend the money to prepare something like that for visitor consumption?

I just went to YouTube and I'm delighted that the 2010 BBC documentary: "BBC Legends, Herb Alpert, Tijuana Brass and Other Delights" is still available for viewing. So you guys can compare and contrast the two documentaries.

I know this will probably ruffle a few feathers here, but I think I actually prefer the BBC Legends documentary over the 2020 'Herb Alpert Is' doc. They basically told you the same story in half the time, and stayed in chronological order with the events. With the new doc, they kept jumping back and forth through time, present to past to present to past to present... drove me crazy. Don't get me wrong. The new doc does have a few highlights extra, and I'm glad I have it. But for the two hours spent, there seems to be more filler material with other artists speaking their minds (which is fine, I just prefer the anthology format with less commentary).

I know this will probably ruffle a few feathers here, but I think I actually prefer the BBC Legends documentary over the 2020 'Herb Alpert Is' doc. They basically told you the same story in half the time, and stayed in chronological order with the events. With the new doc, they kept jumping back and forth through time, present to past to present to past to present... drove me crazy. Don't get me wrong. The new doc does have a few highlights extra, and I'm glad I have it. But for the two hours spent, there seems to be more filler material with other artists speaking their minds (which is fine, I just prefer the anthology format with less commentary).
I do agree that the BBC documentary was excellent, and in many ways the similarities between "Herb Alpert Is.." and the BBC film are sometimes a bit surprising. (Many of the same artists and business people saying almost exactly the same things, and so on) Still I think "Herb Alpert Is" stands out much because of the rare footage that is used, and also because it goes much deeper into the story.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

The unseen footage is what makes the newer documentary fun to watch. I also still think it's better than that Wrecking Crew documentary that I had to turn off halfway through.

Back
Top Bottom