Herb Alpert Is... Documentary Viewing, Renting and Purchasing Options

Just found out I’ll be working when the live event runs tonight. What do we know about after-the-fact streaming?

YouTube has a function called "save for later". Never used it, but it might work.

I watched a live stream of a taping of Austin City Limits last week, and the video was still available for 24 hours after. That might depend on whether or not the content creators want it to be viewable after the fact, though. Some YouTubers I know have done live Q&A sessions and those remain online today, whereas Austin City Limits removed the video a day or so after it was broadcast.

YouTube has a function called "save for later". Never used it, but it might work.
Is that "Watch Later," or is it another function I haven't seen yet? I think Watch Later just puts your videos into a playlist so you can remember and watch them later on.

Is that "Watch Later," or is it another function I haven't seen yet? I think Watch Later just puts your videos into a playlist so you can remember and watch them later on.

I think you're right. Sorry about that.

I'm kinda hoping Steve Sidoruk hops on here with a definitive answer. I've set the "Watch Later" on YouTube Live just in case.

I'm kinda hoping Steve Sidoruk hops on here with a definitive answer. I've set the "Watch Later" on YouTube Live just in case.

As the premiere was free, I believe that anything after that will be Pay Per View streaming. The Video discs will be coming, but I don't have release dates yet - the Blu-Ray apparently will come after the DVD. I'll post as soon as I know.

YouTube Live did save it for me. 2:39:00 worth, so I'm guessing that's the entire event.
That was it. The Q&A was not worth waiting for--the questions were mostly already covered in the film. In fact, I paused it after the first couple of questions, then played it back later at 1.5 speed while wrapping up work for the night. A couple of new points not made in the doc, but the rest, again, we'd already heard.

That was it. The Q&A was not worth waiting for--the questions were mostly already covered in the film. In fact, I paused it after the first couple of questions, then played it back later at 1.5 speed while wrapping up work for the night. A couple of new points not made in the doc, but the rest, again, we'd already heard.
So the doc is two and a half hours long? Wow.

So the doc is two and a half hours long? Wow.
Close to it. Just over an hour and 50 minutes, plus the 30 minute Q&A. The first ten minutes on YouTube are just a holding pattern since they seemed to roll it around 8:10pm EDT.

The video is no longer available. It's been set to "private". It's now available on a pay-per-view basis on sites like Amazon Prime Video.

I hate when they call something a "home cinema." There is no such thing. At home, it's called a television, or a "TV" for short. A cinema is a MOVIE THEATER. Like the one in my avatar, which is not located in a residence. You don't call your dining room a "home restaurant."

So for some odd reason, this "home" event is not available at the art-house nearest me until Oct. 30. And I just got an e-mail that my Amazon package won't be here until Thursday, 6 days past release day. Oh well..... it IS 2020, after all. Everything is going wrong this year.

So I'm trying to find somewhere I can buy this movie as a download, but not have it tied to any one vendor's player or ecosystem. I looked at Amazon and $9.99 is a fair price for the documentary, but you're forever stuck 1) needing the Amazon app or a browser to view it and 2) also need to be connected to the Internet to verify its licensing. That's just one example out there.

I just want a single video file I can download, put on my server, and watch whenever and wherever the heck I want. I prefer not to buy video on physical media anymore--the disc and case get tossed into a box and never looked at again.

If anyone comes across this option in their travels, let us know in the thread here.

I've been trying to find a place to buy the physical media. I had a lead on a DVD from an outfit called "blowitouttahere" but they canceled the transaction saying they couldn't get the DVD.

Just now I saw a third party on Amazon that had the DVD listed and will try again through them. I'll be happy with a DVD and should a Blu-ray come along, I'll possibly get that too.

I don't even know if the DVD and BluRay are officially released yet. Probably will be along shortly, though. Just some opportunistic sellers trying to sell something they can't yet get ahold of.

HERB ALPERT IS... THE DVD

Right after the documentary "aired" on YouTube, I spotted a DVD listed on eBay. Taking a chance, I placed the order. A couple days later, I got a note from the seller that it was not available, and my money was refunded. A bit bummed, I did a few more searches and found something on Amazon that was a third-party seller but looked legit, placed another order, and it arrived this afternoon.

I'll probably look for a Blu-ray too, once they start surfacing, but this will do in the meantime.

A few notes: The DVD is actually a DVD-R. It's made on demand. I knew that going in, so it didn't matter to me. I don't know if "pressed" media will ever surface. These days that's getting tougher to come buy as program suppliers, be it video or music, would rather stream their product or sell files. But being the luddite I am, I'm still a fan of physical media.

The DVD just starts - there's no menu structure. You put it in the player and up comes the ABRAMORAMA logo and on goes the movie. This fact doesn't give you any choices for "setup", but there are only two choices for audio. The disc defaults to Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo. If you use your remote's audio button, you can switch to audio track #2 which is Dolby Digital 5.1 surround. I think the surround sounds best on my main system even though it's only coming out as 3.0.

So, for those that missed the stereo with the YouTube stream, it's here on the DVD - and probably the Blu-ray too when that surfaces. For now, the DVD looks and sounds really good. It's better than the YouTube stream which was choppy and occasionally stuttered.

I kind of doubt Herb would cheap it out and go with DVD-R for a release, and a third party offering it before Amazon and others officially offer it seems fishy. They went to a lot of expense with the CD and LP box sets--a DVD-R for the documentary just doesn't sound right to me.

But, there's always the chance that DVD and BluRay sales have pretty much evaporated thanks to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and others who stream directly to the home, and this might only be an on-demand title on DVD-R or BD-R. If it's some third party pirating a stream (which is possible) and burning their own DVD-Rs, they'll be in a lot of hot water over this.

Maybe @badazz can shed some light on it.

I'm still waiting for a source where I can download it and keep it on my server. Anything I've seen so far ties a "purchase" to an app, like Amazon. About I can probably hope for is an official BluRay and rip it myself, and stick yet another video product into storage that I'll never look at again.

This DVD looks genuine. Graphics are sharp - the insert looks professional. Black images on dark gray, like the box set, are hard to reproduce for any amateurs. Catalog number on spine is HRB 219. Disc face has got the artwork that matches the poster of the movie and looks genuine, and the video program itself looks and sounds perfect. As I said, there are two audio tracks, 2.0 and 5.1.

If this is a counterfeit, then it's a really, really good one.

There are a lot of titles out there that are now Made On Demand. With the abandonment of physical media, it's better for program producers to go this route rather than press a zillion copies of something and have them sit in a warehouse paying rent.

For those of a certain age and status, AARP members, HERB ALPERT IS will be available this Friday (10/16) at 8 pm Eastern Time - You just have to be an AARP member and logged into their site AARP.org - enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom