🎷 AotW: Jazz Herb Alpert - MIDNIGHT SUN (CD-5391)

Jazz releases not on the CTi or Horizon labels.

Captain Bacardi

Herb Alpert
MIDNIGHT SUN

A&M CD-5391

sp5391.jpg

Released 1992
NOTE: This was the last jazz album released by A&M Records

Format: CD/Cassette

Produced by Herb Alpert

Songs:
  • 1. Midnight Sun (Lionel Hampton/Sonny Burke/Johnny Mercer) - 6:05
    2. All The Things You Are (Oscar Hammerstein II/Jerome Kern) - 3:53
    3. Someone To Watch Over Me (George Gershwin/Ira Gershwin) - 5:16
    4. In The Wee Small Hours (Bob Hilliard/David Mann) - 5:53
    5. Friends (Eddie del Barrio/Herb Alpert) - 4:21
    6. A Taste Of Honey (Bobby Scott/Rick Marlow) - 6:52
    7. Mona Lisa (Jay Livingston/Ray Evans) - 5:46
    8. I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face (Alan Jay Lerner/Frederick Loewe) - 5:07
    9. Silent Tears And Roses (Eddie del Barrio) - 3:50
    10. Smile (Charles Chaplin/John Terner/Geoffrey Parsons) - 4:13

Musicians:
Herb Alpert - Trumpet, Vocals (3, 8 )
Frank Collett - Piano
Monty Budwig - Bass
Harvey Mason - Drums
Larry Carlton - Guitar
John Pisano - Guitar
Barry Zweig - Guitar
Stan Getz - Tenor Sax (5)
Eddie del Barrio - Piano (5)
Jeff Hamilton - Drums (5)

Arranged and Conducted by Eddie del Barrio
String Contractor: Bill Hughes

Recorded at A&M Studios, Hollywood, CA
Remixed at Ocean Way Studios, Hollywood, CA
Engineer: Steve Smith
Assistant Engineers: Greg Goldman, John Aguto, Ed Goodreau, Thom Russo, Eric Rudd
Mastered by Bernie Grundman

Art Direction: Roland Young
Design: Shiffman/Young Design Group
Photography: Jurgen Reisch

Capt. Bacardi​

There are only three Herb Alpert albums I've never heard: Colors, North on South Street, and this one. I didn't really like too much of the couple of albums before this one, and once I read the reviews/descriptions of the songs, the deal was sealed. I like the "pop" Herb, but not so much the "jazz" Herb. Although I admit liking his recent work with Lani Hall a lot better than the albums from this period.

I've learned to love this album as the years have gone by. When this was first released my Dad had just passed away, so I wasn't in the mood to hear this album. But it's a nice departure from what Herb had been doing throughout his career up to this point. Most of it is quiet, moody playing somewhat in the mode of Chet Baker. There are two true highlights on this album. The first is "Friends" that features Stan Getz. The other is a very swinging version of "A Taste Of Honey". I also enjoy "In The Wee Small Hours". The strings take some getting used to as Eddie del Barrio really went "outside", especially on "All The Things You Are". Since this was Herb's last release on A&M it seems fitting that the last track is "Smile", which was written by Charlie Chaplin, whose studio eventually became A&M (and is now the Henson Company).

Capt. Bacardi

I really liked this album when it first came out. The polar opposite of the album that preceded it, NORTH ON SOUTH STREET, this one was more my style - a lot more mellow. I loved that Herb revisited some old TjB tunes, and that they were different takes on the familiar.

This album, to me, sounds a good deal like the current stuff he's doing with Lani. Mike, you should seek this one out and give it a shot.

Harry

The great Monty Budwig passed away shortly after this recording. Of course Stan Getz was already gone when this was released. Herb said that the song "Friends" was supposed to have been part of some charity project for cancer research but that never came to fruition.

Capt. Bacardi

I'm glad that this album is up for discussion this week, because it reminds me of a story that I've always wanted to tell on this forum, but forgot to. Anywaaay...here goes! An old friend of mine told me this story(hard to believe it was twenty years ago!!), as he heard it from Herb himself on Hal Jackson's Sunday Morning show on the local R&B station WBLS whilst promoting MIDNIGHT SUN: Herb was very proud of this album, as it was his first major foray into straight ahead jazz, and he got a lot of congradulations from the critics(DOWNBEAT gave it three and a half stars!!) as well as his peers in the music industry like Aretha Franklin;as well as others. However, what Herb really wanted was approval from his idols, one of which happened to be Dizzy Gillespie. Dizzy was still with us in '92, but he was sick, and not doing too well.

He went into a Los Angeles hospital for surgery, and while recovering, Herb went to visit him, and brought along a copy of MIDNIGHT SUN for Diz to listen to, and also get his opinion on the album. When he went to visit, Dizzy's nurse said that he was just recuperating from the surgery and needed his rest, and could not have any company.Herb then gave the nurse the CD, and asked her to give it to Diz when he woke up. She said that she would, and then put on the CD while Diz was asleep. Dizzy was dreaming and in his dream, he saw MILES playing the music, but then woke up from his dream, and said that wasn't Miles playing, but somebody else. After listening carefully, he told the nurse, "Oh, that's Herb Alpert playin'!" The nurse was surprised and asked Diz how could he tell it was Herb. "Well, I know Herb's tone and his phrasing, and how he plays the trumpet",replied Diz. After some more listening, Diz said that he liked the album, and also said,"now this is the music that Herb should be making more of, instead of that other stuff he's been doing all these years!" I believe Dizzy told Herb himself that, or word got back to Herb, but when Herb found out how Dizzy felt about MS, he was so happy, and felt like he got a reprieve from the king or something like that, and felt like a million dollars!!(well, he already HAD over a million dollars, but you know what I mean!)

Great story,huh?
jazzdre

Nice story. I know Herb and Dizzy were friends for a long time. Herb once said in an interview that in '69 or '70 Dizzy called him and talked about being tired of being on the road and told Herb he "just wanted to make some bread". I often wondered if Herb ever entertained the idea of producing a record for Dizzy. That could've been very cool!

Capt. Bacardi

Back
Top Bottom