Herb Alpert On Magazine Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Just a heads up that the new issue of Windplayer magazine has Herb Alpert on the cover, as well as an interview with him. The interview is pretty much about his beginnings playing the horn and the different teachers that he had over the years, plus his own practice techniques. There's nothing in the interview about any new albums or reissues, unfortunately.

Capt. Bacardi
NW: Cubs vs. Cards

Here's a look at the cover:

alpertwindplayer.jpg

Capt. Bacardi

I'm glad he lost the facial hair--he's looking like a handsome feller once again.

Also: Herb aside, is Wind Player magazine worth reading and/or subscribing to?

- William

I'd also like to read about Prince's horn section, too. :) Probably has a "James Brown thang" goin' on. :wink:

-= N =-
...Sexy M.F....

William said:
I'm glad he lost the facial hair--he's looking like a handsome feller once again.

Actually, the photos inside seem a combination of the Colors and Definitive Hits photos.

William said:
Also: Herb aside, is Wind Player magazine worth reading and/or subscribing to?

It's so-so. It's mostly a magazine about practice habits and technical aspects of horns. It only comes out every 2-3 months.

BTW, this is the second time that Herb has graced the cover of Windplayer. The last time was in '85, after he released Wild Romance.

Capt. Bacardi

I keep intending on mentioning this, but my brain cells aren't what they used to be. :cool: In the article they talk about Herb's preferences for horns. He says that while he has owned many horns throughout the years, his favorite is the Chicago Benge - built around 1951 - which he uses on ALL his recordings. He refers to this particular trumpet as "mellow and melodic". He plays with a Bach 8B cup mouthpiece with Reeves backbore. As far as flugelhorns go, he switches between a Couesnon and a copper bell Kanstul. He even talks about valve oils - both the Al Cass and Bob Reeves oils. His wireless microphone is made by SD Systems.

Capt. Bacardi
...provider of useless information online... :D

alpertwindplayer.jpg

How do you pronounce "Benge"? And, just for the record, what are some of the other brands of horn that Herb's played?

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
How do you pronounce "Benge"?

It's pronounced "Benj" - one syllable.

And, just for the record, what are some of the other brands of horn that Herb's played?

He didn't list them all, but I know of a Bach Stradivarius and a horn made by Joe Marcinkiewcz (see the liner notes on the Keep Your Eye On Me album, which puts into question whether Herb played a Benge on this album). But I wouldn't be surprised if he tried Yamahas, King, Conn, Martin, Olds, so on and so forth. I wouldn't be surprised if horn manufacturors have asked Herb to try their horns sometime throughout his long career.

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Nat Adderley - Calling Out Loud

Captain Bacardi said:
He didn't list them all, but I know of a Bach Stradivarius and a horn made by Joe Marcinkiewcz (see the liner notes on the Keep Your Eye On Me album, which puts into question whether Herb played a Benge on this album). But I wouldn't be surprised if he tried Yamahas, King, Conn, Martin, Olds, so on and so forth. I wouldn't be surprised if horn manufacturors have asked Herb to try their horns sometime throughout his long career.

I've always thought of the Bach "Strad" as a classical horn. But WTFDIK? :wink:

I do know that for awhile, Yamaha was considered to be second-rate. I know in pianos, Steinway (of course) was considered the best, Baldwin also being near the top, but a Yamaha being "adequate." Seems that anyone I know who got new horns usually went with a Bach. No idea why, though--a quality issue? A tone that wasn't as good as the others?

-= N =-

I played a Bach Strad 37 with a Bach 7c mouthpiece in high school...I was inthe "Wind Ensemble" and te "Jazz Ensemble", and ALL of us in JE had Bach 37s...this was in 1969-1972. The Strad was just considered to be the best on the market for the student, I guess...they ran about 450 bucks...the bore was excellent, and they were very easy to play...

Dan

Rudy said:
I do know that for awhile, Yamaha was considered to be second-rate. I know in pianos, Steinway (of course) was considered the best, Baldwin also being near the top, but a Yamaha being "adequate." Seems that anyone I know who got new horns usually went with a Bach. No idea why, though--a quality issue? A tone that wasn't as good as the others?

I was never sold on Yamaha myself. I know it became quite popular in the late 70's due to the success of Chuck Mangione, who's flugelhorn was made by Yamaha. When I was at Berklee there were some trombone players who had the new Yamahas of the day. I want to say that they were cheaper than most other horns (I don't know if that's still true), especially the Bachs. I've stuck with Conn all of these years, although I've played some Kings on occassion when swapping horns. The Kings have better slides IMHO.

I used to frequent a club in Chicago Heights back in the early 80's, that featured a Dixie band on Friday nights (I forget the group name). The trombonist used the bell of a Conn, and the slide from a King. He called it his "King Conn" horn. Of course, he was plastered most of the time... :D

Capt. Bacardi
...catching up on old threads online...

Mr Bill said:
Sounds like a trombone player, all right! :D

Trombonists can outdrink any other musicians. Some say it's because we don't score women as much (not that I have that problem, of course :rolleyes: ).

Capt. Bacardi
NP: "Drunken Sailor" :D

Captain Bacardi said:
[NP: "Drunken Sailor" :D

Hey! Now you're gettin' personal! :)

--Mr B
who has CDO duty this week and can't drink at all til Tuesday! (and thinking "Til Tuesday" would be a great name for a band... Hey! wait a --)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom