Herb Alpert on Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Schultz

I've located a source for a direct to DVD transfer of the 1974 Herb Alpert special featuring LIVE PERFORMANCES of Vento Bravo, Legend of the One Eyed Sailor, Five Minutes More, Fox Hunt, I Belong, etc. etc. The quality level is very good. Images are sharp, sound is crisp. I'm curious if anybody is interested in purchasing a copy of it on DVD or VHS . I'm also buying the 3 specials in color on DVD. Don't really want to market it on E-bay, but... I may decide to do that too. Respond if interested to my e-mail address at [email protected] I've looked everywhere for a video of the BMB tv special. Anyone got a lead?

Richard Schultz said:
I've located a source for a direct to DVD transfer of the 1974 Herb Alpert special featuring LIVE PERFORMANCES of Vento Bravo, Legend of the One Eyed Sailor, Five Minutes More, Fox Hunt, I Belong, etc. etc. The quality level is very good. Images are sharp, sound is crisp. I'm curious if anybody is interested in purchasing a copy of it on DVD or VHS .

I have the '74 special on VHS, and yes the video and audio are pretty good, so the transfer to DVD may be okay. The other specials are another matter. The video quality on all three is pretty bad, and transferring them to DVD isn't going to improve it. The sound is fairly good on these three. It would be nice if somehow the original tapes would be converted to DVD with the 5.1 DTS. That would be worth buying.

Richard Schultz said:
I've looked everywhere for a video of the BMB tv special. Anyone got a lead?

Was there a BMB special of their own? I didn't know of one. I only have them on a Hollywood Palace show and a Jerry Lewis show. I remember seeing them on a Mike Douglas show as well.

I'd still like to see the TJB on the Midnight Special and the Dinah Shore show. Those seem to be the hardest to find so far.

Capt. Bacardi

Capn' ... I'm told that the studio I'm purchasing from is transfering original videotape to DVD for me for all 3 TV specials. I'll let you know how the quality is after I receive the DVD. Thanks for your interest! Richard

As for the BMB, they appeared on just about every musical variety show in the 60's. The best were the ones where they played live and not just mimed under the record (An instrumental version of Lip Sync?) The best of these was Johnny Carson & Joey Bishop. They also made appearances on Dean Martin, Hollywood Palace, The Smothers Brothers, Red Skelton and a Flip Wilson hosted edition of "Operation Entertainment" a variety show taped on military bases and war ships. There was also a half hour show that must have gone directly into syndication that starred Carol Lawrence with the BMB near the end of their run that was very good (They did "Flyin High" and backed Carol's vocals, if memory serves). On one of these they did a wonderful version of "Hey Jude" that I never heard them do again. From all this, you can gather that if they had a special of their own, I would know about it. I do have some not so good video of BMB on the Jerry Lewis Show, where Jerry plays a crazy character auditioning for the Band.
Jerry: "I'd like to try out for your band."
Julius: "Sorry, We got no openings."
Jerry turns around and shoots Frank Devito and he falls off the drum stand.
Julius: "We just got an opening!"

.... guess you're right Capn'. I do believe I read somewhere that
the BMB did a 1 hour tv special. I'm also very sure I saw one for
sale about a year ago on E-bay.... a show that listed several of their
tunes being performed. I do so wish I'd purchased that tape.
Thanks for your input. I wonder if I can find Dean Martin Shows somewhere
for sale.....

On June 20, 1975, Herb and the TJB were on the Midnight Special. They did a medley of Lonely Bull, Spanish Flea, This Guy's..., Taste of Honey, and Zorba. The set had the Coney Island album cover in the back. I taped it off of TV it in 1980 or 81 when NBC was repeating SNL and MS during a strike. Regrettably, I don't have the facilities for making copies.

Around the same time Herb was on a segment of ABC's 20/20. It was mostly an interview, but had a few clips from the TJB specials and some of the Rise video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom