Herb Alpert & Pat Metheny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

No, it's not what you think - or hope. But guitarist Pat Metheny is the recepient of the Herb Alpert Visiting Professor at Berklee College of Music: http://www.downbeat.com/default.asp?sect=news&subsect=news_detail&nid=198

Pat Metheny Appointed Herb Alpert Chair At Berklee
Daily News Headlines

Posted 12/12/2002

This month, jazz guitarist/composer Pat Metheny began his appointment as a Herb Alpert Visiting Professor at Berklee College of Music. Metheny, who was on the Berklee faculty in the mid 1970s and received an honorary doctorate of music from the college in 1996, is the third Herb Alpert Visiting Professor, following the previously appointed pianist/composer Alan Broadbent '69 and bassist Abe Laboriel Sr. '72, both Berklee alumni.

The Alpert Professorship was established in 2000 with the support of the Herb Alpert Foundation, the philanthropic organization launched by A&M Records cofounder and seven-time Grammy-winning recording artist Alpert. Alpert received an honorary doctorate of music from Berklee in 2000. The Alpert Visiting Professorship Program brings to Berklee a steady stream of world-class performance and music industry leaders. Each year, a person who has achieved major recognition as a performer or prominent figure in the music industry will be appointed Herb Alpert Visiting Professor, agreeing to a three-year commitment to Berklee, for two weeks each academic year.

As a member of Berklee's board of overseers, Alpert has had an important advisory role with the college and was in a position to recognize the benefits of extending--and deepening--the communication between visiting artists and Berklee. The Alpert Professorship reflects Alpert's view that students will benefit tremendously if given the opportunity to interact with the masters of the music industry.

Sounds like a great program!

Capt. Bacardi

A project with both Metheny and Alpert together would be very interesting, since both have more melodic tendencies than a lot of their jazz contemporaries.

Rudy said:
A project with both Metheny and Alpert together would be very interesting, since both have more melodic tendencies than a lot of their jazz contemporaries.

It would be interesting to say the least! I wonder if either would consider it. It would definitely flip some people out! :o

Capt. Bacardi

Pat plays on brother Mike's latest album, Close Enough For Love--Mike said it's his favorite track on the CD. If you like Herb, you'd probably like Mike's laid-back style. He can still keep up with the hardcore jazzers, and plays flugel, trumpet, and the EVI. The idea of Pat with a trumpet player isn't as far out as it sounds. (And to me, it goes down easier than the new trumpet player in the Pat Metheny Group.)

He's got a few sound samples of the new one on his site:

http://www.mikemetheny.com

I won't give away the 'secret' of "The Greatest Love Of All", though... :wink:

I'm still looking for a rare CD copy of his Day In/Night Out album on Impulse. I'd asked if there was a CD version of that album--he told me the last one that sold on eBay went for 99 cents! :confused: Pat M. takes a lengthy solo break on the title track.

closeenough.jpg

(A shameless plug for an old Compuserve acquaintance....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom