Herb Alpert talks meeting Queen Elizabeth II in 1974

Arthur

Hi TJB fans,

Yesterday I found this new interview with Herb and want to share it with you:

As Herb said, this was the only time he met the Queen. But there are also pictures on the internet with Tom Jones, Ginger Rogers and him meeting the queen dated November 11, 1969

It's interesting that the Queen wears the same dress on both pictures. Any clarification?

Kind regards
Arthur

Hi again,

there is a certain confusion regarding who are on the pics. On the second picture it isn't Princess Margaret with Lord Snowdon.
Here is another one:

I'm looking for your answers.

Greetings from the Black Forest
Arthur

Herb and the TJB performed at The Royal Variety Performance at the London Palladium Theatre on Nov 10th 1969. According to the Royal Variety Charity it was somewhat troublesome because Herb & the TJB was delayed because of fog in Vienna and did not make it to the dress rehearsal that was to take place the day before. Herb was interviewed by Norwegian TV on his arrival in Stockholm a few days later, and he told the reporter that Queen Elisabeth had told him that she had all his albums. Herb did not perform on the Royal Variety performance in 1974, but I have heard him say in another interview that the invitation to a "Royal Command Performance" was one of the reasons he went on tour to Europe with the TJB. They did indeed perform for "royalty" on the 1974 tour, but that was in France for Prince Rainier and Princess Grace of Monaco.

- Greetings from the north -
Martin

Hi Martin,
you are right. Thanks for this clarification. This is in line with what I recently found out.
Here is the proof that Herb and Lani with the new TJB performed in the year 1974 inFrance for Prince Rainier and Princess Grace of Monaco:

It's obvious that Herb mixed those two events when he was talking about the Queen.

Kind regards
Arthur

Hi Martin,
you are right. Thanks for this clarification. This is in line with what I recently found out.
Here is the proof that Herb and Lani with the new TJB performed in the year 1974 inFrance for Prince Rainier and Princess Grace of Monaco:

It's obvious that Herb mixed those two events when he was talking about the Queen.

Kind regards
Arthur
Herb is wrong. If he really only met Queen Elisabeth once, it was on November 10, 1969. I know because he played in the Netherlands on November 9, 1969, and I was there. A photo appeared in the Dutch newspaper that he played in London a day later and shook hands with the Queen afterwards. And if I'm not mistaken, that's the photo that's now posted with the interview.

Herb is wrong. If he really only met Queen Elisabeth once, it was on November 10, 1969. I know because he played in the Netherlands on November 9, 1969, and I was there. A photo appeared in the Dutch newspaper that he played in London a day later and shook hands with the Queen afterwards. And if I'm not mistaken, that's the photo that's now posted with the interview.
And the performance on November 10, 1959 was indeed in the Palladium.
Ruud Stuurman from the Netherlands

Back
Top Bottom