Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
It's here! The Tijuana Brass's wonderful Christmas album is finally out on CD again...now featuring the original artwork for the first time ever in the CD format.

Let's hear your comments, and be sure to vote for your favorite song.

"My Favorite Things"...! Best version of that Timeless classic by ANYONE! And a Christmas Song to be heard Year 'Round!

Dave :bigsanta:

I voted for "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle" -- a personal favorite and an "under dog" in the universe of Christmas tunes.

--Mr Bill
who still doesn't understand how "My Favorite Things" is considered a Christmas song...

I voted for las mananitas.this one is my favorite it has the sound of the early tjb and to me is the best track on the cd please do not get me wrong let it snow and my favorite things are right up there the whole cd is great. I play it all the time.
chefref

I too went for "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle". I like both the Alpert and Bacharach versions equally and think it's a great Christmas tune.

Thankfully, this year I'll have new remasters of both versions - Herbs's from the Shout Factory re-issue of the TjB CHRISTMAS ALBUM, and Burt's the Bacharach box set that Hip-O put out.

Harry

I must also go with My Favorite Things, even though I agree with Mr. Bill that it's not a Christmas song.

It's really easier to pick the tunes I like less here -- my least favorites are "Sleigh Ride" and "Jesu." Everything else is absolute top-shelf TJB material.

I still remember the first time I saw this album. I was walking by a local store that sold LPs, and thinking to myself -- I'm surprised that the TJB doesn't have a Christmas album. I passed the window where the records were on display, and there it was -- Herb's Christmsa album!

After listening to the album right through last night, I decided to vote for "Let it Snow." The vocals around it are light, gentle, and the arrangement is the best I've heard of this song.

I do like the entire album all the way through, but love the driving arrangement of "My Favorite Things".

It was a close competition between "Bell That Couldn't Jingle" and "Las Mananitas." I agree with the already posted comments about the later. My decision was based on the question "If I were stranded on a desert island, which of these two would I want to listen to over and over again?" Mananitas won.

Phil

While using older vinyl and CD versions for my listening,mention should be made about Shorty Rogers" vocal interludes. While I suspect there are detractors here,these intros work for me. In fact,I used to make a holiday seasonal phone message with the intro to "Sleigh Ride". The juxpostioning of Shorty's dreamy acapella(a la "Charlie Brown Christmas") is a bit jarring preceeding Herb's arrangement of the title(I enjoy both sounds,just not back to back)but I always want to hear more of the vocalizing-a test of it's effectiveness since it leaves the listener wanting more. My wish for a vol II would have been additional work in the manner of Mr. Rogers.Hey,if Brian Wilson took almost 40 years between Christmas albums(his solo Christmas album also came out this week),why not let Herb decide? A favorite holiday album,hands down-as Herb,himself,opins on the album,"Terrific!Terrific!" Mac

Over the years "Winter Wonderland" has become the obvious stand out track to me. I especially love the choral break in the middle. My favorite part of the whole song is when the chorus interjects a bit of "12 Days Of Christmas" toward the end and Herb finishes the line on the trumpet. That arrangement is so good it gives me goosebumps.
"Jesu" is probably my least favorite because the arrangement seems the least inventive to me.
Okay, here's the stupid question: Is the "Las Mananitas" on this album the same recording as used on BMB's "For Animals Only"? If so, why is that? Is it BMB or TJB or a combination? Does Herb actually play on it? If they're not the same, what's the difference in the two? They sound the same to me.

daveK said:
Okay, here's the stupid question: Is the "Las Mananitas" on this album the same recording as used on BMB's "For Animals Only"? If so, why is that? Is it BMB or TJB or a combination? Does Herb actually play on it? If they're not the same, what's the difference in the two? They sound the same to me.

From what Julius told us in his posts here at the forum (memorialized at the A&M Corner here), the two are essentially the same recording:

Julius Wechter said:
Jazzbill (love the name) ...you're right. Many of the same musicians were on both the same BMB and TJB. We used all the best studio musicians in town at the time, and changed personnel when we went out on the road. Herb did not play trumpet on the BMB albums except for his beautiful rendition of "Las Mananitas" which he loved so much he took for his own album as well.

It's likely that the TjB version, which came later was either a slightly different take or possibly just a different mix of the same basic track.

Harry

How exactly are those two different? I haven't heard the BMB version in years.

I never really thought about it much until reading the CHRISTMAS ALBUM booklet, but it's amazing how much "Las Mananitas" sounds like early TJB. The song would have been right at home on VOLUME 2.

It's very subtle - slightly different emphasis on certain parts. Naturally the TjB version highlights the lead trumpets, and the marimbas are more present on the BMB version, if I'm remembering it right.

Harry

My favorite is "The Christmas Song" composed by Mel Torme'. I think this is Herb's BEST vocal ever! I also love "Jingle Bell Rock", it SWINGS! "Let It Snow" keeps growing on me, the sax solo was awesome and I've always wondered who plays that solo. "Jesu Joy Of Man's Desiring" is awesome. It shows us a more spiritual Herb, more introspective. Gorgeous work by Bach. I also love the vocal intros by the late great Shorty Rogers, a monster musician. We ignore this Christams album at our own peril. It will go down for generations. The cover is great and the music timeless. I love this recording even more than when it first came out around 69. :cool:

As always, the poll numbers are showing a few surprises. No votes for Jingle Bell Rock?! That was my favorite when the album first came out. It's probably the most "classic TJB" sounding of the whole works, what with the striptease-style ending and all. But this album is such an embarassment of riches, it's just too hard to pick ONE favorite. Too bad this board can't let us vote for multiples -- I'd pick 7 of the tracks.

Mike Blakesley said:
I never really thought about it much until reading the CHRISTMAS ALBUM booklet, but it's amazing how much "Las Mananitas" sounds like early TJB. The song would have been right at home on VOLUME 2.

Wasn't "Las Mananitas" the B-side of "Whipped Cream" in late '64? I have that single, but not sure if this was the original release or a later one.

Capt. Bacardi

How's the audio quality of the new CD? First-rate, I'd imagine? Thanks in advance for your thoughts (I'll be buying the disc in a few days in any event.)

I am convinced that WARM, TBAC, and SUMMERTIME will come out in 2006 -- and those releases will be a wonderful present, indeed. FOLLOW IN 2006

I still haven't found or heard the new re-release. Amazon has, as of today, shipped my copy. It'll hopefully be here by the weekend.

Harry

I've listened to both the BMB and TJB versions of "Las Mananitas" and as far as I can tell they're the same recording -- I hear NO difference.

BTW, the remastered Christmas Album is swell Just picked it up at Tower -- not in the Herb section but in the Christmas section they were just putting up). I'm hearing little details that I never heard befoer on vinyl OR on the A&M CD... Particularly on my fave track "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle." And I'm finding that "Jesu..." is REALLY growing on me and is a GREAT song with which to close the album!

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
I've listened to both the BMB and TJB versions of "Las Mananitas" and as far as I can tell they're the same recording -- I hear NO difference.

I hear a big difference. Granted, it's the exact same arrangement, but the recording is different. There's more marimba (obviously) on the BMB, the trumpets are doubled at the end on the TJB.

I had to go to three stores tonight to find this CD. Borders was sold out, Best Buy hadn't put out their holiday stuff yet (they said they would do that this weekend and refused to go to the back and get me a copy). I tried Fry's and they had a couple in stock, although they had it in the rock compilation area (they had yet to change the signs in the store). At least the liner notes weren't the exact same thing as in past reissues.

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom