Votes: 1 2.2%
  • To Wait For Love

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Sandbox

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would imagine it's referring at least to John Pisano's PISANO AND RUFF: UNDER THE BLANKET album. Why it says "several", I can't imagine.

Harry

While I feel that WARM is not among the very best TJB lps, it's a nice pleasant album, and is certainly a departure from the norm. I think there's is one tune that stands out clearly as the best and that's Marjorine. The tune has some really cool chord changes and think it's a fine piece of songwriting. The Sea Is My Soil, Zazueira and Sandbox are also great tunes.

The vocals are ok, but I've never been a huge fan of Alpert's singing. When you think you sound pretty good in the shower, and then you realize you actually own your own record company, your voice is certain to end up on vinyl. If the vocals were replaced by 2 good instrumentals, I would have graded WARM a lot higher.

I have a feeling that the huge success less than a year earlier of This Guy's In Love With You might have had something to do with it as well. Perhaps an effort to reprise the success of that hit might have been involved.

I feel that the success of This Guy's In Love With You had to do with the moment in time, the song itself, and the mood of the record and music buying public perhaps more than Herb Alpert's vocal prowess.

Herb does a very good job conveying/delivering the song and creating a mood with it. He was the right singer for that particular song. I don't consider it a vocal masterpiece; rather, it is a song that appeals to the emotions, has a certain special sound, and captures a certain sense of the mood of the times. In other words, it was the right song in the right place at the right time with the right sound. I don't think the vocals on WARM can reproduce that circumstance.

Lots of pop music singers aren't strong singers... :rolleyes:

But I agree...Herb Alpert is, first and foremost, a trumpet player.

nightcat said:
The vocals are ok, but I've never been a huge fan of Alpert's singing. When you think you sound pretty good in the shower, and then you realize you actually own your own record company, your voice is certain to end up on vinyl.
My dad used to joke that the only reason Merv Griffen and Mike Douglas were singing on TV was because they had their own shows.

The eloquent said:
My dad used to joke that the only reason Merv Griffen and Mike Douglas were singing on TV was because they had their own shows.

Ah, but in Merv's and Mike's defense, they were both moderately successful singers prior to fame and fortune in "TV Talk." Merv had records and Mike was even the singing voice of the Prince in a Disney feature (I believe it was Cinderella IIRC)...

--Mr Bill
realizing TV in heaven must be awesome -- think of all the talk shows you can choose from! Mike Douglas, Merv Griffin, Dinah Shore, Johnny Carson, etc... Not to mention the potential guest line-up: Today on the Mike Douglas Show we have half the Beatles with Keith Moon on drums and Buddy Holly on guitar. And all four Marx Brothers will entice us with scenes from their new heavenly feature film, A Day At The Pearly Gates!" (Cue Charmin' commercial with -- new arrival -- Mr. Whipple, a Bounty paper towel commercial with Nancy Walker and...

I figure that "Warm" was the beginning of the next phase of the artist's career...an album that was a result of his trip to Brazil to skip the California winter of 1968-69.

The attitude may be Brazilian but there's not a lot on this album that wasn't already knocking around 1416 N. LaBrea (apart from maybe "Zazuiera"...and since Jorge Ben wrote "Mais Que Nada", it's possible Herb heard "Zazuiera" in L.A. instead of Rio).

"The Sea Is My Soil" was an old Sergio track and "Pretty World" was his new single (there's a whole thread to be had about A&M artists recycling each other's songs).

"Without Her" was Harry Nilsson.

"To Wait For Love" was Bacharach.

"Girl Talk" was Neal Hefti and Bobby Troup from a five-year old movie about Jean Harlow.

"Ob-La-Di" was the nearly obligatory (for A&M) Beatles cover.

"The Continental" was a 1934 Oscar winner.

"Marjorine", "Warm" and "Sandbox" were contributions from Herb's corps of regulars (Sol Lake, Julius Wechter and John Pisano).

A&M was in full-Brazil mode in '69, with WARM, Sergio's CRYSTAL ILLUSIONS and YE-ME-LE, sergio's side project BOSSA RIO, Tamba 4's SAMBA BLIM, Walter Wanderley's WHEN IT WAS DONE and MOONDREAMS, Milton Nascimento's COURAGE and Paul Desmond's FROM THE HOT AFTERNOON. Even if Herb hadn't gone to Brazil, the influence was practically in the walls and the water at A&M that year.

---Michael Hagerty

Hello All,

Love the discussion here.

This may have come up before, but wasn't the song "Warm" also originally on the BMB album "Heads Up" and called "Baja Nova"?

I haven't dug my vinyl out in awhile, but I seem to remember that tune being on there.

All the Best,
John

Oops...

I see that Capt. Bacardi already mentioned this on page 1.

Guess I'll read the whole thread next time before posting!

BTW, my favorite is "Girl Talk". Love the section toward the end after the modulation when the band settles in and the strings take over. Gorgeous...

John

Milton Nascimento's "Milton" album is the greatest thing that A & M EVER released --- AND a knock - out cover to boot ---- EVERYONE who contributes to this forum should check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom