Herb Alpert--Tijuana Brass Medley

lj

This terrific video is from 1997 in Munich Germany. I like the Cuban beat. It's the first time I have heard him use that rhythm style. Note the sax in place of the trombone. In the late 1990's did he have a regular traveling band or was this a pick-up group of musicians?

I think it was some of the musicians who played on the Passion Dance CD but I loved watching and listening to this as always Herb and the Gang were really cooking there.

Yes, that would have been the tour for Passion Dance.

Quite frankly, I wish there were more albums like this one--it's a top notch band. A band like this, a dozen or so Latin classics, a hits medley, a new original or three, and it'd be smokin'!

I heard that band live in the Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen in the summer of 1997 and that was really the best Herb Alpert concert I have ever seen. I never got to hear the TJB live, but that experience I imagine was the closest I could get to it, and then some. I also heard Herb a couple of times in 1996 with Jeff Lorber, and I have heard him with Lani and the quartet several times, all of that wonderful, but the 1997 concert with the Latin band stands out.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

I'm somewhat surprised that this was never acknowledged in the salsa/Latino/Latin jazz community back when it was recorded. It certainly holds its own around its contemporaries recorded around that time.

Well, If I remember correctly, Herb got a latin grammy award that year for his lifelong contributions.
I'm somewhat surprised that this was never acknowledged in the salsa/Latino/Latin jazz community back when it was recorded. It certainly holds its own around its contemporaries recorded around that time.

In light of Herb's use of the Cuban sound during this medley, it makes me recall what Antonio Carlos Jobim had said: "What really swings is the music of the United States, Cuba, the Caribbean and vicinity, and, of course, Brazil. The rest is all waltzes."

Back
Top Bottom