Herb Alpert & TJB "Collector's Edition" 8/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
Well I don't know any other information about this, but it turned up in our ordering system with a few details including a retail price ($21.98 ), a catalog number (MYSP53733), a UPC number 628261373321, and an 8/19 release date. It is a 3-CD set.

Strange thing is, it's on the Madacy Special Markets label, not Shout!Factory. Anyone else heard anything? A check of herbalpert.com, Google and a few retail sites yields nothing more. Madacy's own site has nothing at all, either. It looks like this will have a street price of around $18.98.

I would guess that since it's on Madacy, it's highly unlikely to contain any bonus tracks or previously non-CD songs, but who knows?

I'm seeing it listed at several online sites as "Special packaging: Tin case". Sears online is cheapest.

I wonder if it's just a repackaging of some Shout Factory titles in a single box (or "tin case" as Richard mentions). At that price, I won't expect much.

Seems odd that after all those years of insisting that his material not be two-fered, Herb would allow a cheapo box set. Guess we'll see.

Maybe it'll be a 3-disk set containing WARM, THE BRASS ARE COMIN' and VOLUME 2! Okay, maybe not. :wink:

Mike Blakesley said:
Seems odd that after all those years of insisting that his material not be two-fered, Herb would allow a cheapo box set. Guess we'll see.

Maybe it'll be a 3-disk set containing WARM, THE BRASS ARE COMIN' and VOLUME 2! Okay, maybe not. :wink:

Just poking around on Amazon, I see other "Collector's Edition" tins (including a Carole King title to be released the same day). The Marshall Tucker Band title has a review stating that his collection is three complete albums with remastering and bonus tracks. Other titles in the series seem to be "greatest hits" type sets. Still others are non-hits collections.

I'm intrigued to think that Mike's suggestion of the three download-only titles might be what's offered here. Herb has these three titles available as remastered, didn't think they were worthy of Signature Collection CDs, and might have made a deal with a company like Madacy just to get them out there. This is pure speculation on my part.

Madacy, though, is not a name that I look for in terms of "quality". I've seen the name before on VHS tapes and DVDs - all have been inferior products, usually bad prints or slow speed (in the case of VHS tape). The DVD stuff is usually public domain stuff. I believe they are a Canadian outfit (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

Harry
...only two weeks to wait to find out for sure!, online...

They sell these tins at the Navy Exchange (PX). I've almost bought a few, but always opt for another desired product and put it back in the bins. Mike's right about them being GH type sets usually. The ones I almost bought were John Denver (all three GH CDs in a single tine) or Tom Jones (2 GH and a live disc).

I guess we can be optimistic and hope for those three download-only titles... We'll have to wait and see. If Herb is dissatisfied with S!F that could explain the lack of new releases of late. Of course if he signed them the standard contract (assuming 7 years exclusivity as in the publishing world) it'll likely be 2012 before we get them on yet another label...

--Mr. Bill

I have a Madacy tin can set called #1 Rock-N-Roll Hits. It says that it's affiliated with Universal Music Special Markets. Since it's with Uni I'm wondering if this is just a repackaged greatest hits deal.

Capt. Bacardi

Capt B may be right... Uni may be doing a partnership with Madacy to get rid of the last of their copies of Second Wind, Passion Dance and Colors. (or a combination of two of them along with Def Hits). Hopefully not.

I am doubtful it is the "boxed set" that Steve S was talking about recently -- S!F would definitely keep that one for themselves I would imagine.

But then I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent buzz about some "movement in the works."

--Mr Bill

I just got my copy at Costco yesterday for $15.99. It comes in a tin box with the whipped cream cover. It contains the following discs: Whipped cream,Going places and What now my love discs. No bonus songs.Same exact discs that have already been released.Comes with a nice booklet. Hope this solves all the hopeful speculations.

Bleech. "Nice booklet" has anything of interest? Shout! Factory labeling or other clues about the business relationship?

No, just photos from circa 1967 that I had never saw before. 12 pages and a brief overview of Herb's history. The highlight for me was the whipped cream lady on the collectible tin box. For completist only.

Wow. WHIPPED CREAM, GOING PLACES and WHAT NOW MY LOVE in one set? That's pretty much the whole ballgame right there - the heart of the Alpert/TJB catalog.

It's remeniscent of the CARPENTERS 3-CD set that Universal put out that contained CLOSE TO YOU, CARPENTERS, and A SONG FOR YOU in a book-like set.

These "tins" seem to like to show up at the Christmas shopping season. I recall seeing a rack of them in Best Buy last year, and they show up in other non-entertainment-type stores too, like Bed Bath and Beyond.

Harry

This is what I was told by a VP at Madacy Entertainment:

We are doing three projects with Shout Factory this year, Herb Alpert, Jim Croce and the Marshall Tucker Band. Herb Alpert himself has signed off on all the artwork, bio and allowed us the use of the pictures.

This is a part of our “Collectable Music Tin” series. We are including three Herb Alpert original albums in the tin, along with a 20 page bio booklet with pictures and the cover art is from the “Whipped Cream and Other Delights” album. The three albums are “Whipped Cream”, “Going Places” and “What Now My Love”. We have a web site that shows all of our music tins …..go to www.musictins.com and you can see what we have created. They will be in every major retailer like Wal-Mart, Target , Best Buy, F.Y.E. etc.

3TJB_1.jpg

3TJB_2.jpg

3TJB_3.jpg

3TJB_4.jpg

3TJB_5.jpg

3TJB_6.jpg

3TJB_7.jpg

3TJB_8.jpg

Interesting...the Whipped Cream disc does NOT have the two bonus tracks tacked onto it...unless they're "surprise" bonus tracks that aren't mentioned in the liner notes.

Interesting that is not the standard stock S!F version of Whipped Cream & Other Delights -- note the absence of "Rosemary" and "Blueberry Park." Certainly this item will be for the completist only... The booklet sure looks interesting and doesn't appear to be the same Josh Kun pabulum...

--Mr. Bill

Simultaneous posts. :D

I find it hard to believe they'd do a separate mastering/pressing run for what's essentially a budget box set. But, they may want to keep the "40th Anniversary" exclusive to an album release on its own. I wonder if the discs are standard Shout releases, or if they match the packaging in the Madacy tin.

To bad they don’t sell the booklet separately.

I wonder where the tin box is manufactured. Tijuana Tin, made in China?

Mike

I think it's quite cool that the biographer actually got the name "Carpenters" correct in the pull quote. It doesn't say "the Carpenters," like just about every other story about A&M does. I haven't read the whole thing yet but I will probably have to buy this box just for the book.

The whipped cream disc has the two bonus songs included.They forgot them on the packaging. All three discs are the same as the ones that have already been released on shout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom