Herb Alpert & TJB "Collector's Edition" 8/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Blakesley said:
I think it's quite cool that the biographer actually got the name "Carpenters" correct in the pull quote. It doesn't say "the Carpenters," like just about every other story about A&M does. I haven't read the whole thing yet but I will probably have to buy this box just for the book.

Ah, but in the main story, he uses "the Carpenters".

Harry

Ah, but in the main story, he uses "the Carpenters".
Yep, twice.

He also says CONEY ISLAND is the TJB's "19th album." I guess that is true if you count the two GREATEST HITS, FOURSIDER and SOLID BRASS.

The first time I interviewed Alpert, I brought a stack featuring each of his LPs along as a prop. And the first question I asked related to the number of albums he's made.

He said, "No, I don't think that's right."

And I pointed to my stack of albums. To which he replied, "well, if you count the compilations..."

One other aside I'd forgotten about. Standing in the radio control room, he pointed to the rack of carts (tapes, similar in design to an 8-track) that held songs and commercials. He told his assistant that A&M should distribute its music to radio stations on cart because they could better control the quality of the sound.

I bit my tongue, knowing that it wouldn't have made any difference. Every time I've interviewed him, I've been impressed with how observant he is about his surroundings.

Well, at last, it's good to see something being released from Herb - even if it is the same 3 discs that were released by Shout! - albeit in different packaging, but the booklet looks pretty interesting and the tin has some novelty value. I wonder if it will be available here in England - probably not methinks - but I can order thru Amazon U.S. And on another positive note ( just charging my glass - which is always half full ) it provides much needed discussion here on the corner which was in danger of stagnation ( in other words - BORING!!!!!!! ) ZZZZZZZZ.............

Dave.

lonely bull said:
Well, at last, it's good to see something being released from Herb - even if it is the same 3 discs that were released by Shout! - albeit in different packaging, but the booklet looks pretty interesting and the tin has some novelty value. I wonder if it will be available here in England - probably not methinks - but I can order thru Amazon U.S. And on another positive note ( just charging my glass - which is always half full ) it provides much needed discussion here on the corner which was in danger of stagnation ( in other words - BORING!!!!!!! ) ZZZZZZZZ.............

Dave.

Hiya Dave:

If you visit the Amazon US link, you can scroll down on the page a bit and find the ASIN number. Now, if you go over to the Amazon UK site, put that number up in the search box, and try searching for it. This is how you can tell if the same stock item is available in different Amazon locations.

My guess is that it will NOT appear in a search right now, but if you wait a bit after the release date, it's possible UK may have it as an import. Given how much shipping is, the exchange rate, etc., it may work out cheaper from Amazon UK...or the US site may be cheaper. You could even try the same trick with Amazon CA (Canada).

This will work with any Amazon product. In fact, I used it to find a SACD on the Amazon JP site. I find it as an import on the US site, then drop the ASIN number into the JP site's search box. This is a good thing, since I could order and ship the disc from Japan a lot cheaper than buying it as an import here at the US Amazon.

Thanks Rudy - will try that. I did a quick search on Amazon U.S and could'nt even find a listing for this set - is the link provided purely a A&M thing?

Just did a quick search on Amazon U.K - this box set is now listed for pre-order - available on August 19th!!!!!!!! Hurray!!!!

Dave...

Eh, an "Answer Product" to Public Image Limited's Metal Box, me thinks...!!!

Dave :wink:

The picture's finally up at Amazon with the official release date scheduled for tomorrow:

51wPzXe9g-L._SS500_.jpg

Harry

What puzzles me is that this set is not featured on the musictins website ??????
Depending on who is handling Herb's website, it may be a while...it's not exactly up to the minute. I would think the next time some major releases come along, it'll get updated faster.

Let's not forget it took 3 years after the Shout reissues were first released before Herb's website changed to its current status and even mentioned the reissues. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this tin box thing to show up on his website any time soon.

Capt. Bacardi

Re-reading lonelybull's comment, he's talking about it not being on the Madacy website, musictins.com. THAT is a major screwup and should be corrected post haste, or at least before October when Christmas shopping starts to heat up.

Mike Blakesley said:
Re-reading lonelybull's comment, he's talking about it not being on the Madacy website, musictins.com. THAT is a major screwup and should be corrected post haste, or at least before October when Christmas shopping starts to heat up.

Eh, it's probably unimportant anyway. These tins are impulse items, designed to be on racks in major retail stores to catch browsers as they wander around the store. With more mature acts in the line-up of artists, these are designed as presents from a younger generation to an older one, with the most recognizable names they could find to license from.

Not many people will be heading to the Madacy website (musictins.com) to look for these, and even places like Amazon will sell them as a convenience at a fairly high price - one of their ways of making profit.

It's still a great marketing device, getting these out to the public in this fashion. I think this particular tin will sell very well if it's displayed with all the others. Delores has a great...track record. :)

Harry

Eh, it's probably unimportant anyway. These tins are impulse items, designed to be on racks in major retail stores to catch browsers as they wander around the store.
Right...I was looking at it from the Madacy standpoint...even if it's not going to make a huge difference in sales, you would just think they'd want to get their own product onto their own website!

Looked around briefly at lunchtime for the new "tin." I found the display rack at the Bed, Bath & Beyond with lots of the other titles, but no Herb.

Harry

Harry said:
Looked around briefly at lunchtime for the new "tin." I found the display rack at the Bed, Bath & Beyond with lots of the other titles, but no Herb.

Harry

They'll probably just get them in "whenever". IOW, whenever they decide stock is low on the endcaps, and order whatever they want to stock it with.

I'm sure I'll be checking the next time I go. :D

How are the disks themselves packaged? Do you get the regular Shout digpaks or mini LP sleeves or just generic envelopes or what?

Really looking forward to receiving this set - I know it's nothing new, but at least it gives us some hope that Herb is still keeping new projects in mind - Thanks Herb!
Who knows what's next? Don't give up - anything is possible !!!!!!

Dave .... ( glass is still half full )

Harry said:
I think this particular tin will sell very well if it's displayed with all the others. Delores has a great...track record. :)

I think you mean 'rack' record -- I know she's prominently featured in my record "rack!"

--Mr Bill
with apologies to the offended... Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom