Herb Alpert TjB Fan Club

Tommy P

How many years did the original fan club exist that is talked about and is it hard to find original club information?

Good question, Tommy P. I've wondered that myself. As I was born in '68, it was before my time, of course. But I just want another chance to download the TJB sombrero logo again. I saw it online in 2004, but I haven't seen it since.

I remember something about a fan club back in the 1960s. What would have been the year - maybe approximately - of the above letter? That's a lot of benefits for only $2.00, but then the 1960s was a long time ago.

A clue might be that the album listing at the boittom of the letter includes The Brass Are Comin', but I seem to think that a fan club existed before those later albums were released.

Last edited:
All of the above comes from an old webpage that was set up on the old AOL by the late Wendell Johnson, a former member here and great TjB fan. I saved a few of his scans for posterity, and since there's some interest here, I thought I'd post them.

It was fun to read over this again. Looking at the list of singles, I spotted something I never noticed before -- the flip side of "Whipped Cream" was "Las Mananitas," even though the TJB Christmas album didn't come out until several years later. I'm just curious, is the recording on the flip side of "Whipped Cream" the same as the TJB Christmas album version, or is it the "Baja Marimba Band" version? Or is it some other version entirely?

The single version of "Las Mañanitas" on the flip side of "Whipped Cream" is yet another iteration of the song. It's the TjB recording, but without the sweetening heard on the CHRISTMAS ALBUM, where strings and chimes were added, in addition to it being mixed into stereo. Even the mono CHRISTMAS ALBUM has the extra strings and stuff, but is mono.

Gosh, between the singles, the stereo and mono albums by the TjB and the BMB, there's a seemingly endless supply of "Las Mañanitas's"!

What I find interesting in reading that list is that they included 1028, "Monday, Monday" which we're now pretty certain never actually existed. It was apparently given the catalog number but then was pulled in favor of "Zazueira", keeping the same b-side.

It kind of gives me the idea that when they were assembling the Christmas album, they were pressed for time due to touring and other commitments, and they needed one more song, and somebody had the idea to use "Las Mananitas." Which is cool with me because I do like the song.

Glad someone remembers Wendell! It was thru him that I found you guys at A&M Corner, and for that I am forever grateful. Wendell was a big Herb Alpert fan, and it showed on his TJB tribute site which was obviously a labor of love for him. He left us a little too soon, but his legacy lives on in websites like this one.

Thanks again for sharing the TJB fan club memorabilia!

jazzdre

The single version of "Las Mañanitas" on the flip side of "Whipped Cream" is yet another iteration of the song. It's the TjB recording, but without the sweetening heard on the CHRISTMAS ALBUM, where strings and chimes were added, in addition to it being mixed into stereo. Even the mono CHRISTMAS ALBUM has the extra strings and stuff, but is mono.

Gosh, between the singles, the stereo and mono albums by the TjB and the BMB, there's a seemingly endless supply of "Las Mañanitas's"!
I love Las Mananitas but I don't listen to it too often because for me recently it has gained the status of a "Tear Jerker" " but not in a negative way it just reminds me of loved ones and dear friends who are very much Loved and terribly missed.

Back
Top Bottom