🎵 AOTW Herb Alpert & TJB THE BRASS ARE COMIN' (A&M SP-4228)

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Though this thread is nearly two decades old, I'm going to post this item here.

Looking through my 45s, I came upon a single of (1143) "You Are My Life" b/w "Good Morning, Mr. Sunshine". The label has a blurb on it about HAECO CSG on it, so when I did my needledrops of the Tijuana Brass mono singles, I ignored this one, and skipped to (1159) "Maltese Melody" b/w "Country Lake" as the final entry on that CD-R.

I was curious about the record as it had no CSG designation in the runout groove, so I plopped it on the turntable and found out that it's totally mono. The side A track, "You Are My Life" seems a bit more compressed than the stereo version, so I believe it to be a true dedicated mono mix. I did a pretty thorough comparison with the CSG stereo mix folded to mono, and the difference is quite noticeable. So I don't think it's a case of folded CSG, but a true mono mix.

I've attempted to update the entry in Discogs:

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
Seeing this old thread pop up, it was fun to go back and read my old review of this record. I would have to say my tastes have changed in almost 20 years -- I would put this one now more in the middle of the pack, I think. I've kind of gotten to where I can tolerate more of the TJB songs than used to.... The Lonely Bull and Volume 2 are still at the bottom of my list, favorites-wise, but I would put this one higher than Whipped Cream or South of the Border at this point. There are really only a couple songs that don't make me hit the Like button -- the title track and the ending tune. "Sunny" and "Moon River" are probably the next-least-favorites for me. The rest I would consider indispensable.

It would be really hard to pick a favorite album from the TJBs -- I have said frequently that Warm is my favorite, and I would probably still pick it, but some of the others have started to crowd it a little.

Harry

Staff member
Site Admin
Since I've recently run this album through the PhaseBug de-CSG'er, it sounds a whole lot better to me, more in line with the rest of the TjB output. That uncomfortable phase-twisting is gone and it sounds normal now. I've listened to it a number of times since then and I enjoy it a lot more. It feels "opened-up" somehow.

JOv2

Oh, my! Normally I align well with Mike on TjB matters, however, both Little Train and Sunny are my two favourites on a rather mediocre LP...by this time the Tijuana Taxi gas tank was on "E". I agree with Mike that LB and Vol. 2 are in the cellar -- though I spun Vol. 2 just before I boxed up my stereo 3 weeks ago and was surprised as to how much better it was relative to LB. In the cellar also reside Ninth and Christmas Album. WC is definitely better than all of those -- but SOTB is just beautiful and in a different league: from the shimmering trumpets to the exciting originals to inventive arrangements to the gorgeous full-bodied recording and to this day it remains my all-time fave HA LP.

Harry

Staff member
Site Admin
^Agreed. "The Little Train of the Caipira" (aka "Bachianas Brasileiras No. 2") (aka "The Brass Are Comin'") is one of the highlights for me from the album. I also really like "Anna" and its complex rhythmic structure.

Top Bottom