HERB ALPERT'S NINTH: Comments and poll

What is your favorite song on the album?

• A Banda

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • My Heart Belongs to Daddy

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • The Trolley Song

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • The Happening

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • "Bud"

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Love So Fine

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • The Love Nest

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • With a Little Help From My Friends

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Flea Bag

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cowboys and Indians

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Carmen

Votes: 12 16.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I chose WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS...it's always been my favorite version of the song. It always reminded me of the Seven Dwarfs going off to work...don''t laugh...it's a march, sort of like a bunch of guys getting ready to punch in at the steel mill...

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
I chose WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS...it's always been my favorite version of the song. It always reminded me of the Seven Dwarfs going off to work...don''t laugh...it's a march, sort of like a bunch of guys getting ready to punch in at the steel mill...

Dan

I get your point—and I'm still laughing! (And I'm glad "With a Little Help" got a vote.)

This is what I think is a turning point for Herb, et al. "With A Little Help From My Friends" has a good beat, and the "Seven Dwarfs Image" is what I can't help seeing, too... :laugh: --And it's pretty "Big Band-ish", as well!

"Flea Bag" is an enjoyable song, with a sort of a "Classical Glissando" at the beginning and I'm glad it made it to Family Portrait, just as I'm glad to see "My Heart Belongs To Daddy" being available outside of this album, (but no '45') too! "Bud" is a suprising B-Side on the "To Wait For Love" (from Warm) single... "Cowboys & Indians", I would have guessed to be something which could have gone on The Brass are Comin', with it's Western-Imagery--I'm guessing it's otherwise a route the Carribean group, Shango had taken naming a song of their's with that same name... (Sorry--my "In-Joke" there!) :laugh:

I like "Love So Fine", but it reminds me of Don Costa's version (though without Strings and a Big Horn-Ensemble) as opposed to the Original and the Brasilian-version by The Carnival; glad it suppossedly had enough "commercial success" to be part of a TjB repetoire and other instrumental artists covering it, then...

A Turning Point, in the sense that there is a certain "motif" about it, it's a bit toned-down compared to previous releases, and to me, "a defined work" if I bought a copy, as opposed to Whipped Cream, as a place to start... :wink:

Dave

In 1967 I was disappointed upon hearing NINTH, troubled by what sounded to me like faltering energy, inspiration, and a "muffled" trumpet sound that bore little resemblance to the luminous, glorious tone displayed by Herb on such records as SOUTH OF THE BORDER. A BANDA, the preceding single, I had really liked, and so was expecting more of the same when NINTH was released soon thereafter. Well, "With a Little Help" and TROLLEY SONG were complete strike-outs with me -- they seemed simply sluggish to my 15 year old ears. "Daddy" sounded a little better, but the song's title sounded really square, and that (stupidly) bothered me then. CARMEN I would have really liked except for Herb's changed trumpet tone, which ruined it for me then. The rest of the album I liked OK, but I was not enthusiastic about any of it. Year 2005: After repeated listens, NINTH has become another TJB album I'll treasure as long as I have ears. Yes, I still wish Herb's tone were more bell-like, but I think his sound was largely an artistic decision, as opposed to failing trumpet chops (though I remain of the opinion, shared by CaptainDave, that Herb was experiencing some lip problems, though not to the degree that I perceived in 1967.) One theory to explain, in part, my '67 disappointment: my parents had just replaced the old hi-fi (assembled by my Dad, in the late 50's) with a color TV with built in stereo speakers, and turntable. With hindsight, I realize the hi-fi, though mono only, offered damn good sound, with a real sonic punch -- conversely, the TV stereo was much inferior, and the theoretical stereo advantage was negated by the fact that the two speakers were separated only by the width of the TV. NINTH (and then BEAT) were the first TJB records not to benefit from the top-notch hi-fi system, and they must have suffered for it. My Dad had argued in favor of keeping the hi-fi, but lost out to Mom on this one -- there wouldn't be space for both the new console TV, and "old" hi-fi system. In any event, to sum up, I'm delighted to have NINTH again, and I'm finding that I greatly enjoy THE TROLLEY SONG, and "FRIENDS," along with the rest of the album. Every song is a winner, especially BUD -- another song title that bugged me then (though not now) ... whatever happened to colorful titles like MEMORIES OF MADRID? I remember wondering at age 15. I'm a older now, but smarter. Bring on WARM, I say -- I'll bet this is another album to be cherished, that I under-valued in my youth.

Man, I don't think I've heard this album in almost thirty years! I recall gazing at the photos on the back cover when I was a kid, brings back a lot of memories. I voted "A Banda", that's probably the song that was most ingrained in my memory from back then. I've listened to "Bud" probably more than anything on the new CD version. A haunting song I was probably too young to appreciate at the time. "Carmen" has always been a hoot, but now I appreciate what Herb was getting at a little more.

Herb's version of "With A Little Help From My Friends" was the first version of that song that I heard (which is saying something for a Beatles fan like me...the same is the case with "I'll Be Back"), and it's pretty much one of the more straight and conventional covers Herb did. I think it suffers a bit for that, or maybe it's just because the Beatle version has become so much ingrained in my mind in the years since.

Welcome, ya handsome devil.... :tongue: ....do drop in more often, Harry and Dave do need an occasional smack upside the skull.... :badteeth:

All the TJB remasters are fun, BUT...the latest, IMHO, shine very brightly.... :)

:ed:

AM Matt, you beat me to it. Cowboys and Indians has that clip-clop percussion in it that is so reminiscent of Marching Thru Madrid, one of my for-sure favs from any TJB lp! I voted for it also because Sol Lake has got to be one of the great unsung songwriters of that, or any, era!

A lot of cool tunes on this one, complete with more strings (me like) but perhaps a softer approach (me normally no like but this time me like). A grower I'm sure!

Dore Adler said:
I voted for it also because Sol Lake has got to be one of the great unsung songwriters of that, or any, era!

A neat TJB compilation would be to get all of the Sol Lake songs on one disc. :agree:

A Sol Lake songs compilation, in no particular order, would include:

The Lonely Bull (El Toro Solo)
Cowboys And Indians
More And More Amor
Salud, Amor Y Dinero
Adios, Mi Corazon
Green Peppers
Bittersweet Samba
Montezuma's Revenge
Country Lake
Marjorine
Mexican Shuffle
She Touched Me
A Beautiful Friend
Memories Of Madrid
Cantina Blue
Mexican Road Race
Bo-Bo
El Presidente/Winds Of Barcelona
El Garbanzo
Crea Mi Amor
Marching Through Madrid

Harry

Actually 22 if you count "El Presidente" and "Winds Of Barcelona" as two tracks.

Harry

In that case I'd probably include both, at opposite ends of the disc, even though I usually don't like to repeat songs.

A neat set of discs would be a "Composer Series". One disc could be Sol Lake. I don't know how many total songs Julius Wechter and John Pisano wrote, but if those fit on one disc, it could be split between the two.

There is something about "Bud" that I really like. When I received the cd that is the first song I went to play. Wow did it sound great!!! No pops or clicks. Put me down as the 'Ninth" being my favorite HA & TJB album!!!

I just received the 3 latest re-issues from H.A. Signature Series, and am TOTALLY happy with them! I love the cover art, the sound, and the TLC demonstrated for us fans. Thanks and Kudos go to A&M, Herb and Jerry, and Shout! Factory. I've played 9th 3 times already, as this is one of my very favorite cd's. I was most please the back cover collage of photos was preserved for us. I love the artwork on this release. "Warm" regards to A&Mers worldwide.

"Carmen". The arrangement is genius. You never know what to expect, and just when you think the song is over, the tempo changes.

I just received the latest 3, my dream has finally come true - Ninth on CD!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic! Always was my favourite and I love the art work too. Well done Shout!Factory and to Herb I would like to say: a million Thanks and God bless You. You truly created a masterpiece here! I don't actually have a favourite track - they are all masterclass!

Ahh! Herb's Ninth, I remember getting it from my folks for Christmas in '67. At the time I think my musical tastes were changing and so I wasn't particularly fond of it. I do enjoy the album now and am very pleased that it is finally out on CD. I have thought for quite a while over which tune is my favorite and have decided on "Abanda". "Bud" is a close second. I am still waiting for my copy from the Sony site along with Harry. :cry:

The Ninth is a great piece of work! Here are my favorites, in order:

Bud (Very sincere and beautiful)
A Banda
Carmen
The Happening
Flea Bag (cool trombone part)

9th is one of Herb's best. I'm so happy Shout! Factory has preserved the back cover photo collage. In fact the front cover is very cool too! It's my favorite HA and TJB cover.(After Dolores W.C. of course... :twisted: ) The music is also great. Even though Herb's tone here is not optimum, (from over-work no doubt), the arrangements and "feel" of the music are just right. I always marvel at how quickly this album completes it's cycle. Herb always leaves us wanting for more! The string section "pepperings" add just the right touch. When the original l.p. came out in 67, I used to hate "The Trolley Song", now it's one of my favorite tracks here. "Love So Fine" by Roger Nichols is outstanding and should have been released as a single. "For Bud" is also awesome. Julius Wechter as always gives great support on his mallets. The whole band is great. Carmen is the "tour de force" track here. On "Carmen" Herb's tone is much better, perhaps he had a break to rest his embouchure.
My only regret is that A&M never sold those sweat shirts with Herb's image on it. Great job as usual by the graphics dept. over at A&M.

I am absolutely diggin' this album, which (for the most part) left me cold in 1967. Like another poster here, I hated -- actively disliked is probably a better term -- "The Trolley Song." Now, I find great tenderness and beauty in Herb's slow rendition. Nor am I bothered, as I was in 1967, by the change in Herb's trumpet tone. I am grateful to SHOUT FACTORY, and Herb Alpert, for giving me the chance to reassess NINTH. I will purchase WARM upon its release, and hope there might be some announcement in that regard before the end of the calendar year.

I've been meaning to do some side by side comparisons between the new NINTH versus my old LP, and I finally got around to doing so today.

First off, my comparison is done with two CD players playing at the same time, synched up so I can just switch inputs on the receiver to hear the differences. The old LP of mine was transferred to CD-R, and it's that version that I'm using to compare. I never used any kind of noise reduction so it was a straight analog needle-drop.

When I did SOUNDS LIKE, I heard dramatic differences. Here, not so much. I guess I was blessed with a clean, well-pressed version of NINTH on LP, because to me, other than some improved bass on the new CD, they sound about the same. Naturally there are some noise ticks and surface noise audible on the LP, and it's great to be rid of that, but since the LP itself was pretty clean, it's just not all that different.

Still, I'm thrilled to finally have a professionally mastered version of HERB ALPERT'S NINTH.

Harry
...enjoying the NINTH, online...

Maitlen said:
I am absolutely diggin' this album, which (for the most part) left me cold in 1967. Like another poster here, I hated -- actively disliked is probably a better term -- "The Trolley Song." Now, I find great tenderness and beauty in Herb's slow rendition. Nor am I bothered, as I was in 1967, by the change in Herb's trumpet tone. I am grateful to SHOUT FACTORY, and Herb Alpert, for giving me the chance to reassess NINTH. I will purchase WARM upon its release, and hope there might be some announcement in that regard before the end of the calendar year.

NINTH still remains one of my lesser favorites, but it is a necessary part of any Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass collection. I'm also not "warm" about WARM, but it will be added if it becomes available, for the same reason.

I got NINTH after I heard the TJB for the first time in concert; they had played Abanda, and I liked the song and got the album. Second favorite from the album is The Happening.

I also want to express my gratitude to all who have been responsible for these wonderful albums that have meant so much to me for so many years to see the light of day as CDs. Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom